UFN 133: JDS-Blagoy drew 754,000. Very good numbers. Northcutt?

The 1.6 was from DW
Meltzer had it as less
But that was the number people famously went by.

Then as people started trusting Dave more & Dave would correct DW, DW stopped giving numbers (for most fights)

I forget which RR fight (maybe Bethe) but Dana said 1m & Dave said about 900k & Dave's numbers were right.
Same with MayMac

Dana is a promoter ... he will hype numbers
Completely agree. But as I said before DW had us believing one thing and then when something new and shiny came along it switched. Zero doubts that Dana's duplicitous, but for those out of the loop, that was the number that held up for like 10 years. Again I agree with you on not trusting the promoter, but we all didnt have a lot to go on for a certain period of time.

Completely agree. But as I said before DW had us believing one thing and then when something new and shiny came along it switched. Zero doubts that Dana's duplicitous, but for those out of the loop, that was the number that held up for like 10 years. Again I agree with you on not trusting the promoter, but we all didnt have a lot to go on for a certain period of time.

We are on same page
But the numbers we get these days are not through UFC
Most know to go to Dave for PPV & ratings are from Nielsen (although Dave breaks them down)
I was just responding to you ITT saying not to believe the numbers bc UFC lies ... ;)

We are on same page
But the numbers we get these days are not through UFC
Most know to go to Dave for PPV & ratings are from Nielsen (although Dave breaks them down)
I was just responding to you ITT saying not to believe the numbers bc UFC lies ... ;)
And you're absolutely correct. Dana has backtracked on a couple of really good PPV's for someone or something that would make the product better if he said "they did better at the gate and ppv". I realize that and its hard to get behind numbers. I know that Meltzer tries to get to the bottom of it, but without the true source, its all speculation. I do believe Meltzer will give an accurate representation of the numbers over Dana any day of the week. But in all fairness he truly doesnt know. He's just our best guess source.

And you're absolutely correct. Dana has backtracked on a couple of really good PPV's for someone or something that would make the product better if he said "they did better at the gate and ppv". I realize that and its hard to get behind numbers. I know that Meltzer tries to get to the bottom of it, but without the true source, its all speculation. I do believe Meltzer will give an accurate representation of the numbers over Dana any day of the week. But in all fairness he truly doesnt know. He's just our best guess source.

The numbers do come out eventually
UFC files yearly & do investor docs.

DMMMAJ.png

The numbers do come out eventually
UFC files yearly & do investor docs.

View attachment 408239
I know I sound argumentative but that doesnt give us facts. It seems like a credible source from what that article says is due to "investors". Im asking at this point, if there is anything that is completely verifiable. Not even trying to be devils advocate. I just wonder.

I know I sound argumentative but that doesnt give us facts. It seems like a credible source from what that article says is due to "investors". Im asking at this point, if there is anything that is completely verifiable. Not even trying to be devils advocate. I just wonder.

Not argumentative at all ... I wish more convos were as back/forth as this ;)

Like I said they file every year to creditors & investors
They will not lie on those

But take UFC out of it
When WWE had PPV's they were public & their numbers matched with his
Same with SHO & MayMac
So we can pretty much figure when he gives a final number that it is within 5-10%.
Early numbers can vary because he is going by a % that reported the sales

How PPV numbers work is the PPV providers (Comcast, DTV, etc.) release numbers per their accounting
I believe they have 3 months to give a full tally (returns, etc.)
DTV gives numbers a few days after. Others might do it by a day every month or X amount of time after an event.

So lets say 33% of the PPV providers (as far as usual MMA/UFC events) reported prelim numbers & they combined to 100k, Dave will say "early numbers are 300k"
Now obviously with 2/3 of the country not reported that can vary in the end. That is when you get the nitwits saying "Meltzer was paid to say higher/lower numbers & he changed his mind".

The other recent stupidity is Dave will say what the TV ratings are for prelim and google searches that Monday after a PPV & compare to others.
Then Twitter "media" goes & reports it as actual PPV numbers

Back