UFC Vegas 72: Yadong Song vs. Ricky Simon, April 29

Stacked card jk but I am excited for a few of the fights.

Borralho seems like an awful matchup for Michal, but fuck do I want Olek to get a KO there.
I'm all in on borralho. Sometimes he can be retarded in the standup and run in with his chin sticking up but if he gets rocked 1 time he doesn't play around and takes it to the mat where he belongs and finds a sub or wins a decision.

Cody Brundage to win over Rodolfo Vieira @+240 doesn't seem right.
I agree that Cody has been pretty underwhelming lately but it's not like Rodolfo has looked that good either. I would lean Rodolfo but this line seems way off. I need to do some tape study when I get home tonight. Might have to put half a unit on Cody.

Thoughts?

Cody Brundage to win over Rodolfo Vieira @+240 doesn't seem right.
I agree that Cody has been pretty underwhelming lately but it's not like Rodolfo has looked that good either. I would lean Rodolfo but this line seems way off. I need to do some tape study when I get home tonight. Might have to put half a unit on Cody.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't talk you out of a +240 play but I'm passing. If there's a juicy tko prop for either I might take it.

I wouldn't talk you out of a +240 play but I'm passing. If there's a juicy tko prop for either I might take it.

I actually just finished tapes on Rodolfo and Brundage... and I agree with you. Brundage looks really bad, huffing and puffing really early in his last two fights. I was thinking that Rodolfo had bad cardio and that perhaps Brundage could take advantage of that, but i doubt it. Maybe there is some value on Brundage, but I'm going to pass on the money line as well. Brundage looked worse then i remembered.

Erosa makes a terrible favorite. Padilla has snappy sounds from his punches, totally capable of koing Erosa who got starched by Caceras of all ppl. But the long lay off from Padilla is enough to pass. Can't find his social media to even see what he's doing.

How come Pete Rodriguez is not being considered as a favorable option?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/97740-ufc-fight-night

UFC Vegas 72 words I collected for 8 of the 12 fights:

Brian Kelleher is a battle-tested, tough veteran of the sport. Although he lacks the elite athleticism and speed needed to see a significant climb up the bantamweight division, he possesses skills that will be tough fight for any non-ranked fighter to overcome. The reason why he is such a tough test is due to him having an extremely dangerous overhand right that is accompanied by having a solid ground game. More specifically, Kelleher does a very good job pressuring his opponent on the feet, throws the big right hand, and if the punch misses, he seamlessly transitions to a clinch against the cage. Once here, Kelleher either secures the takedown where he can inflict ground and pound or he loses the position, his opponent attempts to land a takedown, and once there, Kelleher finds the neck to lock up his patented guillotine – many of his submission wins are by guillotine. The main issue for Kelleher is that this game plan has proved ineffective against higher-level fighters given these fighters can avoid the overhand right and avoid positions that give up their neck. Kelleher is perhaps the poster child of what makes a “solid UFC pro”, whereby he possesses finishing ability wherever the fight takes place accompanied by having intangibles befitting that of someone who has fought30+ times as a professional – good fight IQ, tough, and shows a lot of heart. Although these attributes are all extreme positives, the issue for Kelleher stems from having a notable ceiling as a fighter, as he has a track record of losing to top 20 caliber fighters while beating his lesser opponents. The explanatory analysis is far easier for the latter compared to the former, as Kelleher has routinely shown the ability to bait lesser fighters into positions that are simultaneously most beneficial for him while being the most compromising for them. The way in which he fights is extremely similar to that of Kakhramonov, whereby he has an aggressive mindset on the feet knowing the submission game will always be present if he needs it to be. The separating factor for Kelleher is his experience, as he has shown the willingness and ability to fight in the position that is most advantageous to secure the victory. The deciding factor for this bout is if Kelleher’s savviness can negate the potential high-ceiling of his opponent. Brian Kelleher is a well-rounded fighter with fire in his hands and a dangerous ground game. Quick to the punch, Kelleher stands tall and moves light on his feet, but knows when to plant and throw in order to land with conviction. He likes to switch step in and throw the rear hand, which he does from both sides but primarily from the orthodox stance. He also has a smooth but stiff left hook, which when landed can put anyone out. He can trade kicks from the outside but his most preferred technique is the front kick down the middle. Rather than a teep, this usually comes in the form of a snap front kick to either the chin or belly. This works particularly well with switch step tactics because both begin with raising the knee and exploding forward, keeping his opponent’s guessing as to which he is going for. Kelleher can hang on the ground with most. He is best known for his guillotine choke which he looks for both actively and reactively. Against Ode’ Osbourne, Kelleher took the initiative, shot for the takedown, barred down the pressure, and forced Osbourne to push back to get to his feet, catching the guillotine on the transition. On the other side, he is also quick to snap onto the neck when his opponent looks to change levels.

Journey Newsome: He has power in his strikes and decent technical ability, but he’s sometimes too tentative as he waits for fights to come to him. He has a BJJ black belt, but most of his fights take place at striking range. While he does have a solid wrestling base, Newson has primarily been focused on throwing hands since getting signed to the promotion. Newson begun his career strictly as a BJJ practitioner. With some work on his striking and getting a background in boxing, he’s become a better fighter. He hasn’t fought the best of competition but at least most of his opponents had more experience at the time they fought. In terms of striking, Newson has some big power in his hands as shown in his last bout, getting a knockout. He will rush forward with power shots in the blitzes he will utilize often. He’s getting better but is not the most technical guy and is hittable, being willing to take one to give one. His jiu-jitsu is solid and his submissions don’t really show it. It’s really the control, transitions, and the fluidity that stands out with his ground game.

Stephanie Egger is a Judo fighter with a strong upper body and clinch game. Egger typically looks to engage the clinch as quickly as possible because her range striking is basic and low volume. Despite often being the larger woman, Egger struggles to maintain a safe and effective range; her jab is basic, and her combinations are slow. Instead, Egger will engage just enough on the feet to close distance; more recently, Egger will allow her opponent to push her back to the cage, then Egger will grab ahold of her opponent and take her into her Judo world. Egger has a strong upper body, uses head position well, and can land takedowns through Judo throws. Egger excels by following her opponent down after the Judo throw and hunting the finish from the top position. Egger struggles, though, when opponents drop levels in the clinch or successfully scramble and force Egger into bottom position. Egger can survive from her back but often gives up several minutes of control time, unable to get the fight back on the feet or reverse position. Egger tends to win fights when she has the strength advantage, advantage in the clinch, and can Judo throw an opponent down to end up in top position. Egger tends to struggle against volume strikers or opponents with a dangerous grappling game. Egger’s background in Judoka is a big feather in her cap as a fighter, but make no mistake she is a very well-rounded athlete with just as dangerous striking as grappling. On the feet she is patient, with good shot selection and range, she utilizes mostly the basics, especially a crisp jab and cross as well as her great right low kick. The kick is an especially good weapon as she has been often able to time it perfectly, breaking the stance of potentially oncoming opponents, but outside of this she rarely fights on the back heel. What that means is a consistent pattern in Egger’s fights is that she steps forward to exchange on her terms or covers up and moves backward away from danger when her opponent steps in, she rarely looks to counter punch, instead choosing to reset and attack when she feels like it.

Irina Alekseeva will jump right into competing on the main UFC roster and won’t appear on this season of Dana White’s Contender Series. She is expected to drop to strawweight for her promotional debut. Alekseeva (4-1), 32, is a three-time silver medalist at the Russian Judo Championships and a Russian and European gold medalist at Sambo Worlds. Additionally, she is a multiple-time “hand-to-hand combat champion.” Alekseeva’s arrival to the UFC comes after she was released from Bellator, which signed her to a multifight contract in December 2020. Alekseeva went on to compete once for Bellator, winning a unanimous decision against Stephanie Page in October 2021. It’s unclear why Bellator released her after only one appearance.

Cody Durden is a well-rounded and high-output fighter. His strikes are not the most technical and crisp but they serve to overwhelm his opponents and provide the openings he needs to shoot for the takedown. Typically he likes to put his foot on the gas at the opening bell and he favors a lead hand approach to his boxing. Most dominantly you will see Durden fight behind his jab, on which he will double up and then follow up with either a hook or overhand off of the same side. He mixes these in with a very heavy lowkick game as well. Ultimately, however, these strikes are used to back his opponents up and draw respect from their guard, if he can get his opponents to react or even better cover-up for a moment, he will instantly shoot in. Durden is a highly committed fighter, and he pursues his attempts very strongly whether it’s striking or wrestling. The upside is, he often is able to push past the sprawl and secure very strong tight wrestling positions when he shoots, the downside is if timed wrong and he does get shucked off he can end up fully off-balanced and out of position. His approach is very much a high risk reward when it comes to his use of techniques. If he can get his opponents down, he tends to look to take the back. He will be relentless in his pursuit of this position but once he secures hooks he becomes far more patient, not rushing any submissions but maintaining position, winning on scoring and time while he comfortably works to secure the neck. Cody Durden is also well-rounded, he has kickboxing experience but comes primarily from wrestling. The staple of his style is high movement and high pace and like Aori, Durden looks to land full force right off the bat. In the best-case scenarios this has led to him overwhelming opponents early with strikes enough to open up a clean takedown, Durden excels and finding the back, where he knows he can take his foot off the gas and work more patiently. In terms of the techniques he uses on the feet, he has a great heavy low leg kick, and he likes to throw looping left hooks and overhangs behind the jab off the same hand. Durden does not typically entertain the feinting and feeling out process, he commits to his strikes and takedowns 100% and with bad intentions always. When they work it’s great but the negative side to this is that he doesn’t often adjust midway through failing shots or flurries and ends up being shucked completely off balance or cleanly countered. Against Flick, his over-commitment to bridging the distance put him deep into a submission early. Against Gutierrez, because he did not hide his want for a takedown, his heavy lead leg was picked apart.

Charles Johnson has an unusual sports background which has fed his skills in his fighting career. From an early age, Johnson had other athletic aspirations separate from fighting; his father acted as coach from early on in his Olympic pursuit in Steeplechase. Although the five rings never materialized for the American, the sport, which for the unfamiliar, is an intensive obstacle race equivalent to that of horse racing and one of the most unforgiving endurance sports in the world. It involves 28 barriers and 7 water jumps. Johnson rose to the peak within the United states, winning national titles twice. While this sport has little in common with MMA, it does provide some insight as to how Johnson later built his unique fighting style which heavily leans on his extraordinary cardio and endurance, breaking down his opponents over the duration of the fight. On top of this, he also owns a professional boxing record, which, although not the most successful, can also be attributed to his unique style of elusive head movement. Together, his background in both boxing and endurance racing paints a good picture of what makes him such an effective fighter. Johnson primarily likes to sit in a boxing stance, constantly fainting and switching and sitting on the outside until he is confident he has read the range and timing of his opponent. At this point, he will move forward and is particularly good at only slipping barely out of range and back into it in order to land. There is little wasted movement in his style, which is in part how he sustains his pace almost perfectly over 25 minutes. He tends to keep a low guard to protect the body and is confident in his head movement to protect himself upstairs, his movement is very similar to that of Bobby Green in this regard. He utilizes a lot of kicks, exclusively to the body and legs, as he wants to chip away at his opponent instead of finding a one-strike KO, but his stabbing front kicks and slapping low kicks also set up his hands to the head. However, because he works at a consistent pace in order to pay dividends later in the fight, he does not always throw with substantial speed, especially kicking to the body he has been caught on multiple occasions and taken down as a counter. This is something that Mokaev will look for as the superior grappler. Many of Johnson’s attacks are built around his head movement, he likes to slip and rip counters, but he also hides his level changes behind his ducks, allowing him to avoid telegraphing takedowns. The problem with this is because he is so often ready to lead on the front leg and slip forward or lean backward, his body is almost always open to be hit, even if he is covering up. Johnson is a confident fighter off of his back, but he has shown he is willing to give up his back or stretch out limbs as he bodies his way up, he has gotten away with this against fighters on the level of BJJ black belt. Johnson, after transferring over from LFA, was touted as someone to keep on the radar for the flyweight division. He is a strong wrestler, primarily defensively, and has crispy boxing rooted in speed and movement. Johnson, typically, looks to fight from range where he can use his height and reach to keep opponents at the end of his punches. He uses a snapping jab that he can land from a variety of angles to dictate the position of his opponents. Johnson, who often stands with a wide boxing base and heavy lead leg, tends to move slowly and plot forward. But, because of his head movement and hip dexterity, he still uses a flashy bob-and-weave defense that requires him to be faster and more reactive than his opponents. Because of his natural speed advantage and reliable jaw, Johnson has implemented this riskier defense successfully throughout his career. He often looks to slip or roll an opponent’s combination and then return with his own fast and powerful counter combination. When he’s flowing, he looks impressive in the pocket; but, as he’s getting older and facing better competition, Johnson has been caught and forced to eat a few clean shots in each fight. “InnerG” is a strong wrestler as well. He is capable of getting his own takedowns; but, more commonly, he uses his wide base, strong upper body, and wrestling background to keep the fight standing. The bottom line is that Johnson is a well-rounded and athletic striker who tends to win when he’s the faster, more athletic, or sharper boxer. But, he struggles when opponents can match him in those regards.

Last edited:
Martin Buday (age 31) is another new-age heavyweight fighter that relies on skills contrary to all-out power. More specifically, Buday elects to use sneaky athletic movement on the octagon to avoid damaging blows –he does get hit but avoids the significant, fight-ending strikes – and uses creative strikes when his opponent overly commits. Whether it be a subtle up-elbow, an impressive knee to the body, or more traditional boxing, Buday has an arsenal of attacks on the feet that many heavyweights lack in the octagon. Although Buday has elected to keep the fight standing in many of his recent fights, he has shown well in the clinch, both in terms of landing damaging blows while avoiding counterattacks. The ability to succeed in the clinch is likely indicative of him having a strong ground game when in the top position, and given he is the far larger opponent in this matchup, it would not surprise me whatsoever if elects to clinch against the fence early, and once there, land a takedown to further land damaging, fight-ending elbows. If, however, he chooses to strike at distance against Barnett, Buday has shown the ability to get hit and this may result in him getting clipped, as one can only avoid fight-ending blows for so long when fighting at the heavyweight division.

Jake Collier will have 1.5 inch reach advantage. He will be 1 inch shorter in height. He is 3 years older than Buday. Jake Collier's age is 34. He has had mixed success since moving to heavyweight. Being a natural middleweight, Collier’s frame is often smaller than his opponent’s; yet, he often weighs in around 260 pounds. Unlike many other fighters who tip the scales at that weight, Collier has reliable cardio and output. He tends to strike with volume and increase that volume as the fight progresses. He leans more toward a traditional boxing approach but does mix in a solid leg kick from range. Typically, Collier will plot laterally on the outside, landing a jab and a leg kick, then, he’ll blitz in with a flurry of strikes. Unlike a combination, which is often setup based on feints and reads, Collier’s flurry is more spastic. This often means he swings and misses while blitzing. Once the blitz attack is finished, Collier will look to break back to the outside and continue the same game plan. Because he does not have traditional heavyweight power or a chin that can withstand said power, Collier’s blitz strategy is designed to help him land several shots and exit quickly before he is clipped cleanly. If he is caught in the pocket, Collier will look to clinch up and grapple to avoid a firefight.

Josh Quinlan: Few fighters have had such an impressive performance on Dana White’s Contender Series as Josh Quinlan. The fighter from Hawaii wowed the UFC president by dispatching Logan Urban in 47 seconds via punches in the first round. This continued a streak of 100% finishes in his perfect MMA record so far; however, after a positive test for drostanolone post-fight, the result was overturned to a No Contest ruling. However, the NAS controversy did nothing to sway the UFC in pursuing the young contender. Josh Quinlan is a very explosive, fast twitch, and aggressive fighter. He is and has trained under the tutelage of the Wand Fight Team started by Wanderlei Silva and even teaches Muay Thai for the training organization. He uses a twitchy style, with a low stance and a tight guard, and has quick, explosive bursts and stance switches. His best punches tend to be short hooks, brutal leg kicks, or a wickedly fast right cross. All of these shots are thrown with finishing intent, and he does load up on them, but his innate speed tends to cancel out most of his telegraphing. However, because he loads up and fires with such conviction in everything, his strikes can only come one or two at a time, so we rarely see prolonged combinations or exchanges from Quinlan. One of the other reasons is that it allows him to stay sustainable. He is incredibly explosive for those two strikes at a time but keeps inactive when he is not throwing. He stays away from flashy footwork or any kind of bouncing in or out movement to balance his gas tank from which his explosion draws. In terms of grappling, we have seen very little from Quinlan. He has two submission victories on his record, both by rear-naked choke, but these have primarily come when he has put his opponents in dangerous situations on the feet first. His top game is dangerous due to his striking, but he does offer quite a bit of space that a better wrestler like Witt may be able to expose in a way that his prior opponents have not. That being said, if Quinlan can transition to mount while having Witt hurt, what he does too well is use that space to prop his opponents into rolling and giving up the back. In terms of grappling defense, we haven’t seen Quinlan’s guard a great deal, but we know he has a very powerful takedown defense, with heavy hips and strong underhooks built around his ability to explode with his base.

Ange Loosa prefers a style more reminiscent of Dutch kickboxing. This is no surprise, it’s very similar to what we have seen coming out of Sanford MMA, and he particularly bears a resemblance to his teammate Gilbert Burns in his stance, lead leg lightness, and nasty left hook. Loosa in particular, also has a very good straight punch game, both his jab and cross are lightning-fast and powerful. Both Fletcher and he possess power in their punches which could put the lights out on one another, but one of the factors to consider is the volume with which they punch. While Fletcher throws combinations and moves, Loosa is far more likely to throw one or two shots at a time with full power behind them. His defense is more so a use of the high guard and shelling up until he can reset and return fire. In terms of his grappling, his takedown game can be a bit rushed. It is explosive, but to the point that sometimes he over-commits and is unable to establish a dominant position, allowing for opportunities for his opponents to scramble out. That being said, defensively, he is very sound, he has a good base, and is difficult to ground, especially with his back to the fence. If he is able to get into a strong position on top, he has a crushing top game and an explosive style of guard passing in which he will burst over the broken guard rather than cut cleanly through.

Brundage is a fun but flawed fighter who can be difficult to handicap; which, if you predict his outcome correctly, can be lucrative. Brundage is often scouted as a strong wrestler with minimal striking, however, that is overly simplistic. Looking deeper, Brundage is a strong defensive wrestler with a sneaky submission game, poor offensive wrestler, and a high-risk, high-reward striker. He tends to be overly confident on the feet, with is hands low, as he looks to land a big shot. Brundage takes liberties on the feet with big looping single shots because he can often defend takedown attempts even if he is off balance or find a submission if an opponent shoots a lazy takedown. His goal, as is with many wrestlers, is to stun or drop an opponent on the feet with a heavy over-hand; then, if the strike misses, follow the momentum into a takedown attempt. Interestingly, or, possibly, concerningly, Brundage rarely finds success using the momentum of his punch for a takedown. In fact, Brundage, despite being thought of as a strong wrestler, has a low takedown success rate. So, while his strategy of powershot into a power takedown is sound, his execution is not. Defensively, his inability to follow the powershot gets him into trouble. Because his striking technique is lower level and he throws with such all-out power, he can often be caught off-balance. Again, Brundage is a strong defensive wrestler, even when off balance, so a counter takedown attempt is rarely a concern. What is more concerning is if Brundage swings and misses, is off-balance, and has to try to evade or absorb a heavy counter shot. He’s only been knocked out once but Brundage’s hyper aggression, off-balance striking, and inability to get to the hips if he misses with his powershot all create a really dangerous environment that a sound counter-puncher can thrive in. Brundage is an ex-collegiate wrestler who brings a similar style and mentality into the octagon. When he’s at his best, Brundage is shooting takedown after takedown, overwhelming opponents with aggression and persistence. Brundage has excellent cardio and a true one-track mindset that is helpful in wrestling: get the takedown. The issue, for Brundage, has been actually securing the takedown. He has the ability to shoot several times in a fight, but actually finishing the takedown has proven challenging. He has a low takedown accuracy, and more concerning is the positions he ends up in while shooting for takedowns. On Dana White’s Contender Series, Brundage landed a takedown and racked up a couple of minutes of control time. Then, when his opponent stood up, he went for another takedown. Like many wrestlers turned mixed martial artists, Brundage stayed in too long on his takedown attempt; his opponent was able to stuff the shot and rain down elbows to Brundage’s exposed head. A similar situation happened in his only UFC win. Brundage was getting outwrestled, was put in a compromising position, and pulled guard into a guillotine. The move worked for a submission win, but Brundage took a massive risk that could have gone poorly.

Rodolfo first made a name for himself as the ‘Black Belt Hunter’ in the late 2000s when, as a brown belt, he beat multiple time world and ADCC champion Braulio Estima—as well as several other high level black belts at the Abu Dhabi World Pro. Sidelined with injuries for a little over a year, he roared back to dominance—winning four straight weight division Mundials gold medals, as well as one absolute division crown between 2011-2014. But, it wasn’t just the wins that made Vieira a star. It was the way he competed. Mixing dynamic takedowns with a diverse and athletic passing game rarely seen at the heavier weight classes. Combined with his propensity for taking the back off those passes, and a high finish rate, Rodolfo’s game was one of the most aesthetically pleasing in the sport. In 2016 Vieira announced he was retiring from sport jiu jitsu to pursue a career in MMA. He joined the large stable of fighters at American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida, and took his first fight in 2017—against Zarylbek Daniyar in Arzalet Fighting Globe Championships. As might be expected from a BJJ savant with no striking background, Vieira looked a little awkward on the feet. But he did show some good use of the jab, as well as some convincing feints to kick off round one. A clean reactive double off his opponent’s first committed punch led to a swift rear naked choke finish. With his elite grappling and improving wrestling he’s a danger to almost any un-ranked fighter, but his limited experience and lack of demonstrated striking acumen also means he’s probably due for a bad loss relatively early in his tenure. While the Nemchinov fight showed improved ability to connect his takedowns to his passing and top control, in some of his other fights he’s shown too much willingness to let his opponents move under him—counting on his scrambling ability to keep him on top and open up opportunities to land strikes. Against higher level fighters, who are more adept at using any space on the ground to get back to their feet, Vieira may well find himself spending a lot of energy on the takedown for very little gain. It remains to be seen if he’s really made the transition from a sport style passing game to one more suited for MMA. Being overweight as a kid, Vieira found BJJ and started training at only 13-years-old. Since then, he has become very successful as he’s a six-time World Cup champion and a four-time world BJJ Champion.

Last edited:
Caio Borralho is a large, light-footed, well-rounded fighter with an interesting and marketable personality. The UFC is clearly excited about both Borralho and Petrosyan as they are the co-main in only their second fights. Borralho, in the octagon, keeps distance well through solid feints and footwork. Despite being a strong and dense 185’er, Borralho bounces well on his toes and is able to maneuver the octagon with fluidity. He has a powerful left hand, specifically his straight left, which he throws without needing to load up. “The Natural” does have lower volume on the feet because he tends to use his movement as bait to illicit ill-advised shots from his opponent. Then, Borralho will counter with an edge in speed and power. The most notable aspect of Borralho’s UFC debut was his wrestling and grappling. He showcased solid takedown defense, comfort on the mat, decent jiu-jitsu, and, most of all, impressive scrambling and ability to flip positions. He racked up over 10 minutes of control time against a primary wrestler while only landing one of his own takedowns. His debut demonstrated Borralho’s well-rounded game and ability to reverse vulnerable positions into advantageous ones. Borralho has a style in and out of the octagon. Much like Charles Oliveira, Borralho rocks thick-framed glasses and flashy shirts and suits; however, he also adds a unique touch with a neck tattoo that reads “Free Spirit.” I bring up his appearance in part because the juxtaposition is intriguing but also because it represents who Borralho is as a fighter. Borralho has a unique style in the cage for someone of his size and skill set. “The Natural” is only listed at 6’1 and 185, but he looks much larger when squaring off with his opponents. He has a strong and sturdy foundation, yet, his striking style is more movement and technically based. Borralho tends to bounce on the balls of his feet, keeping a tall frame, and a long forward hand, almost in a karate stance. He uses intelligent feints and keeps distance well on the feet, but his powerful left hand works better in closer corridors as he can generate power from a short distance. While Borralho is no slouch on the feet, he makes his hay with strong wrestling, athletic scrambling, and strength-driven submissions. Typically, he’ll fight at range, dance around the outer edge of the cage, and get a read on his opponent. Once he finds the rhythm, Borralho times a shot and either crashes distance for a multi-piece combination or a powerful takedown. If he can secure his hands below his opponent’s hips, Borralho has the strength and skills to finish the takedown and end up in an advantageous position. Once down, Borralho has the skillset and background to find a ground and pound or submission finish. However, he was criticized last fight for taking a more lay and pray approach against a poor defensive grappler. Just like his outward appearance, Borralho’s fight style is unique: he’s large but moves well, he can strike at range effectively but prefers power shots in the pocket, and he has strong grappling but hasn’t showcased it yet in the UFC. His biggest flaw, which Michael Bisping called out in his last fight, is a lack of a killer instinct. Borralho has had opponents hurt, and instead of pouncing on injured prey, he took a more passive approach which prolonged the fight and offered opponents opportunities to recover and rally.

Oleksiejczuk is a hyper-aggressive power puncher who knows what he does well in the octagon-knockouts-and hunts that path to victory pathologically. Despite having a legitimate path to victory-blitz and bang-Oleksiejczuk struggles with cardio, grappling defense, and a second layer or path to victory for himself. “Hussar” has real power, he has fought at 205 and has found success with his hands there, despite often being undersized. At 185, Oleksiejczuk is often the larger fighter and his power is even more pronounced. Once the fight begins, Oleksiejczuk looks to take the center of the canvas, kickbox with aggression and power, and back his opponent into the cage. Because he has poor cardio, after a :60 burst brawl, Oleksiejczuk can often be temporarily tired. Clinching against the cage gives him an opportunity for a breather. But, he has to be careful because his grappling is defensively inept and an experienced grappler can suddenly find his neck, even if Oleksiejczuk is in an advantageous position. If he can survive the clinch without getting reversed or submitted, Oleksiejczuk is dangerous on the break. He has a killer hook and loves to unload it after pushing away from the cage following a clinch exchange. If it lands, it’s often lights out for his opponent. In fights where an opponent can survive Oleksiejczuk’s hyper-aggressive first round, he struggles to find success in rounds 2 and 3 because, outside of his brawl and clinch style of fighting, Oleksiejczuk does not have a reliable second path to victory. Michal Oleksiejczuk is a pretty good comparison for how a younger Sam Alvey fought. His heavy left-hand out of the southpaw position with an affinity to pressure his opponent justifies this comparison, but I want to reiterate that this comparison is relative to current Oleksiejczuk to much younger Alvey. With that said, the comparison is indeed there, and the similarity of fight-style countered against Alvey being out of his prime should afford Oleksiejczuk well in this spot. One of the problems he faces is not knowing which division to fight in, as he is far more comfortable not cutting weight – light heavyweight division – but when fighting there, he is far too undersized relative to his competition. So, now dropping back down to the middleweight division, where, bluntly stated, he should fight, does loom questions in relation to his cardio and potential chin issue stemming from a weight cut. If either question results in reality, Oleksiejczuk’s main style of pressure forward and fighting in close range where he can land his powerful hands on his opponent may be neutralized. And, because his wrestling is solid at best, with little ground game once on the mat, he lacks the ability to successfully transition away from his main style to win a fight.

Song Yadong is an exceptional talent. He is very heavy handed and utilizes a sharp and tight kickboxing style that has been polished on top of his base roots in Sanda. We do still see flashes of this background in bursts and his fast side and head kicks but lately we see him cut deep with the fundamentals. His straight punches, hooks and uppercuts show little telegraph and are thrown with little fat on them. Although he does have attacks from the outside in his kicks, he does ultimately want to breach the pocket and intercept his opponents counters with superior speed. adong’s rise to and through the rankings is largely to do how elite of a striker he is. He is an incredibly fast and versatile striker who mixes up kicks, knees, and punches effortlessly. Like his opponent, Yadong fights with good volume and rarely throws a single shot at a time. In fact, most recently, Yadong seems to throw at least a 3-strike combination each time he engages. Throwing in combination often creates opportunities to catch an opponent cleanly. Yadong has the fundamentals, hand speed, combination variety, and power to not just catch and opponent cleanly but catch and drop them cold. He typically will feint his way into range, throw his multi-piece combination, and either exit the pocket or fake the exit. When Yadong fakes an exit, his opponent can over pursue a counter, which is exactly what Yadong wants, then Yadong with cut a quick angle and land another lightning quick combination. He is willing to stand and trade, blow for blow, rather than use his footwork to exit the pocket against pressure. In these situations, Yadong, while the fire fight is ill-advised, still has the advantage in power, speed, and toughness. He’s only been knocked out once in a fight outside of the UFC in 2016. In the UFC, Yadong has proven to have a reliable chin and an ability to win blow for blow brawls. . Often, it seems as if Yadong always throws in a 3-strike duration, and, the 3-strike combo will be to all levels of the body – he does an impeccable job working the body, and then, ending on a hook that lands powerful and aids in his defensive movement post-combination. Having output that is rooted in frequency, power, and speed makes Yadong a problem for the division as he has a unique skill-set that makes him extremely dangerous, particularly when the addition of having an elite chin is input. So, Yadong is able to use speed to land in and out strikes, but also, when he wants to throw in a flurry of exchanges, he can confidently do so because he will possess the greater power and will have the greater – or equal – durability with wearing strikes. Song is extremely powerful and has excellent timing, however one habit which has been exploited in the past, is he doesn’t jab his way into range. He will often shuffle his way in and look to land with power right off the bat.

Ricky Simon is the epitome of an aggressive hard-nosed wrestle-boxer. Simon typically fights with a wide base, stalking forward, always primed to explode into a takedown. While striking, Simon swings big and lands heavy but can hit air more often than his opponent. As with many wrestle boxers, Simon’s aggressive striking is designed as a setup for his explosive and dominant wrestling. He will use the momentum of his looping power shots coupled with his opponent backing up on the straight line to avoid the big strike to create the perfect situation for a takedown attempt. When Simon wrestles, which is often, he uses power single and double leg takedown attempts to almost spear his opponent to the mat. Simon averages many takedown attempts per fight and lands them more than 50% of the time. The few times Simon has struggled is when fighters have the high-level striking and footwork to stick’n move off the center line and keep the fight standing. Those situations are few and far between though, more often than not, Simon’s opponents have struggled to keep up with his high-octane and elite wrestle boxing style. On the feet, Simon can hold his own with pressure and a jab, but it’s no secret that he utilizes his striking to get inside and take foes down. Backed by endless cardio, Ricky Simon simply never slows down. Ricky Simon will turn 31 in August 2023.

UFC Vegas 72

Last edited:
Newson ,Buday, Acosta , and Simon parlay around 2k+

Newson is a better boxer than Kelleher , and has a bjj blackbelt with solid sub defense. Can't see Kellerher just grounding him for long enough time; and then getting pieced on the feet.

Buday should beat Jake, cleaner hands, defeated Chris Barnett far easier than Jake(who lost), weird to see him a favorite. Acosta is questionable because of his horrible leg kick defense, but Marcos is low volume, while the takedowns and grappling can be a problem, don't see him subbing Acosta who has decent awareness for a td .

Simon should coast on the ground and his hands are decent enough to survive getting koed.

Last edited:
Back