UFC to decrease UFC events to 30 - Are you happy with this?

Are you happy the UFC plan to reduce the number or yearly UFC events from 42 to 30?

• Total voters
You look up a prelim fighter on Fight Finder, and realize you've already seen him fight twice; yet have no memory of it. Does this happen to anyone else?
I often forget I've seen a prelim fighter fight by the time the main card starts. Can't keep track of everyone unless they make a serious impression. Still enjoy watching them fight.

I know there has been threads on this but it would be interesting to have a poll on the matter.

So basically the new owners plan to reduce the number of UFC events to 30, essentially cutting a lot of the international cards out (Canada, Japan etc). This goes back to how it was in the 2011-2013 era. It is just the past 3 years the number of yearly events has sky rocketed to 40+.

Number of UFC events by year
2011: 27
2012: 32
2013: 33
2014: 47
2015: 41
2016: 42
2017: 30?

Is this reduction good thing?

Positives
More stacked cards

Negatives
Less fights
Reduction in roster - smaller divisions

Personally i am of the opinion that this sucks - the more cards the better. Even if it's a UFC Australia / Philippines card etc with little name value.
hmmm... really?
Negatives
Less fights = yes coz fights nobody vs nobody are so fun to watch...
Reduction in roster - smaller divisions = no more pumped (record) unproved fighters...

I personally don't like this. But at the same time it may make orgs like Bellator, ONE FC, Legacy, RFA, Fight Nights Russia and Cage Warriors and the like more stacked. So in general, it may just give me more motivation to watch even more events, which I deem a good thing.

Well I am a wild man for MMA at the moment but I am likely going to be busy next year so I am conflicted about less UFC.
There will always be MMA to watch though so I don't see how this affects people unless you never watch other promotions.
On one hand less UFC cards could bum me out on the other hand I might be a responsible adult soon and have less time..... leaning towards it being a good thing for me but bad for fighters I guess?

In a world of injuries, this is a bad idea. With fewer cards, It is a bigger deal if a main event gets scrapped, and harder to reschedule.

I used to be firmly in the camp of less cards with more quality, but now I'm leaning the other direction. I think bad matchmaking is a big problem lately. People say too many are taking up space on the roster. Well, most if not all of those fighters would love to get booked, but the matchmakers clearly have favorites who get booked more often. Garbrandt gets booked a lot, Perry is schedule for his third fight in less than 6 months, Smolka is already booked again after a first round loss, Diakiese just fought on 204, already booked. Meanwhile other fighters haven't been booked at all this year. That's the shit that needs fixed.

With the huge amount of cards we have now I'm finding cards resemble boxing cards where you have a main event and one fight with semi-recognisable names and the rest filler.

Gotta build up the names somehow. Many of those "filler" fights are excellent fights.

This sucks.The reason MOST people think cards are watered down and shit is because they themselves know little or nothing about half the prelims.Sure there are some cards that aren't great but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them.If you'd cut an hour or two on forums and take that time to watch footage or learn about the guys you don't know the probability of you being more interested in the fights/fighters you previously didn't know is much much higher.Basically what i'm saying is a lot of people aren't interested because they don't know anything about the fighters but spend hours and hours on forums complaining about how terrible cards are instead of informing themselves about the fighters they are complaining about.For all the people that say "I don't have time for that" but spend hours and hours on forums please just stfu.

I pretty much love every card,I look forward to every card and am usually content with it when it's all said and done.Also,a lot of events that aren't great on paper end up great and vise versa,so why bitch and moan if you don't even know how it'll go down.So many entitled mma fans thinking every card should be over the top amazing doing themselves a disservice always being let down need to wake the fuck up and appreciate shit or if you really aren't that into a card then don't watch.Idiots think cutting the roster down is going to make better cards?Maybe a tad,but meanwhile they are cutting guys like the Barncat,Sarah Kaufman,letting great fighters walk cause they don't want to match the contract etc. and loading the roster with unknown "undefeated" fighters that have never fought outside of their country and TUF leftovers.It isn't gonna change anything or very little meanwhile more good fighters get cut.

I got UFC 1 on PPV,snatched up any mma I could back then on vhs etc. and have never gotten bored of mma.Unfortunately this post is too long for the majority of the members it's intended for,oh well.

So much is right about this post. Love it.

I feel like they need to focus on marketing fighters more and getting names out there.. and i guess lower the amount of cards they have for the time being until they can create more stars...i mean its an issue when there are so many big MMA fans that dont know 50% of the rosters names or who they are...thats a marketing issue imo

they just keep riding on the same old names of the current and those guys are close to retirement alot of them

im still surprised they didnt sign GSP.

UFC really sucks at marketing the vast majority of their fighters. They basically wait and saee who makes a star of themselves before getting behind them, then they give them the push. The times UFC/Zuffa attempts to push fighters, you get Sage and Paige. Hopefully wme-img will change that.

Jeremy Botter (MMA journalist)

Was under the impression he was considered pretty unreliable these days? After the whole accused BJ Penn of sexual assault thing his sources bailed on him.

And no article or tweet? Just a mention of a journalists name?

6 months of the year have 2 cards that month

Other 6 months have 3 cards that month.

Cool with me, but I'd prefer somewhere between 32-36 cards a year. I've gotten used to the 40 plus cards a year thing. I don't mind it as much as I used to.

Less fighters on the roster = quality over quantity. Higher level of MMA is a good thing. Don't know about the long run though, maybe they don't want to keep growing internationally, we'll see.

I enjoy having more events. I'm all for stacked cards. So I'm not pissed that the brass is discussing less cards. But I always thought with the more cards the more room for fighters to grow and talent to flock.

You have many events you have more fighters having a chance to flash their brands and gather the experience. And for that alone, I'm rooting for more cards but I certainly don't oppose less cards considering the pure stackness of action.

They won't be able to justify all the fighters on the roster so they'll cut a heap of them. It'll just end up being a lower quantity of the same standard cards.

Personally I don't mind it as it means other promotions will get some high quality fighters and some will be in a reasonable time zone for me to watch. I wouldn't like this if I lived in America though.

Where are you getting this information from? I have not seen one news article stating that they were cutting back on shows.
Could you link it please?

I don't understand how there can be too many cards for a fight fan.
People keep talking about "watered down cards". The most stacked cards of this year turned out to be some of the most boring. Unknown guys like Vanatta (spelling? dude that fought Ferguson) and Perry have been some of the most talked about guys here this year.
You never know what you're going to get in MMA. I'd rather give as many fighters a chance to shine as possible.

I am for it. Sick of staying up to 1am and going to work early lol just my selfish reason

It all depends. If it simply gets rid of the cards where only the main and possibly the co-main are good and the rest are WSOF level matches, then it will be a good thing, but if it means they are going to give certain fighters less fights per year, could be very bad.

I'm hoping it means stacked cards.

Back