UFC to decrease UFC events to 30 - Are you happy with this?

Are you happy the UFC plan to reduce the number or yearly UFC events from 42 to 30?

• Total voters
In theory, There is an "ideal number" of UFC events in a year to generate revenue for the owners and make each event a big deal. Let's see what the market says about 30 events a year.

At glance, I'm ok with it.

Since I like watching MMA I'm not too pleased with this. I also don't understand all the complainers saying that too much UFC makes watered down cards. If you don't want to watch all fights just watch the cards that you think are stacked enough. If they really want to have MMA as a legit main stream sport they need to have a lot events.

I hear where you're coming from, but feel like the issue is there are good fights that are main/co-main events for those "watered down" cards that people would probably be interested in seeing, but not enough to sit through the other fights that are less interesting and would be better suited as one of the first 3 fights of a PPV or the featured prelim fight.

I also don't think there NEEDS to be a lot of events to be a main stream sport. The most popular sport in the US is the one with the least amount and more meaningful games. I think there's something to having every event actually be an event, instead of having a lot of "ehhh, watch it if you want" cards.

I'd like to see the format change, but the number of cards expand.

Ideally, build a small arena that seats about 3000...have bi-weekly cards that have about 5 fights on them. Air this on fight pass or FS1, along with news/commentary/interviews...for shits and grins, we will call this show UFC Challengers.

If a guy wins a few fights on the Challengers series, he's promoted to air on regular Fox. We will call this show UFC Contenders. Win a fox fight or two, and you are promoted to PPV status.

If you lose a few PPV fights, you're downgraded to the contender status, drop a few there and you're back to a challenger, lose their and its back to the indie circuit for you.

I realize this is probably cost prohibitive, but the up and down method ensures that guys who might be out of their prime aren't getting eaten by every young lion and hanging around the UFC too long.

I really like this idea.

I for one love these news.

I have really disliked the trend from the past couple of years to have a lot of international cards with no name fighters, PPV cards with only 1-2 big name fights, and Fight Nights that look like the prelims of an indy promotion.

I don't care if MMA snobs "love fights" and just want to watch as many nobodies fighting as they can. This is a stupid argument because you can easily watch those same fighters in Bellator, WSOF, or smaller promotions. The total amount of MMA will not change either way, just the quality of each card.

The stackedness of cards has long been a selling point of the UFC over boxing, and they were moving away from that in recent years, which was a bad idea IMO.

I know there has been threads on this but it would be interesting to have a poll on the matter.

So basically the new owners plan to reduce the number of UFC events to 30, essentially cutting a lot of the international cards out (Canada, Japan etc). This goes back to how it was in the 2011-2013 era. It is just the past 3 years the number of yearly events has sky rocketed to 40+.

Number of UFC events by year
2011: 27
2012: 32
2013: 33
2014: 47
2015: 41
2016: 42
2017: 30?

Is this reduction good thing?

Positives
More stacked cards

Negatives
Less fights
Reduction in roster - smaller divisions

Personally i am of the opinion that this sucks - the more cards the better. Even if it's a UFC Australia / Philippines card etc with little name value.

source for the 30?

because i read 35

no! I like it the way it is now with 40 something cards. I like watching up and coming fighters and the smaller shows.

Remember when UFC used to have events where Rich Franklin, Matt Hughes, and Randy Couture all fighting on the same card? Lets make it like that again.

Not bad considering there are 12 months in a year we will be averaging at least 2 cards a month

It'll be somewhere in that ballpark. Jeremy Botter said 30-35.

30 and 35 are a long way apart though.

there were 42 scheduled this year, bt if you allow for the fact there were 4 cards UFC 200 week, 35 wouldnt really be much of a drop

30 on the other hand, would be a big drop

Fight Pass is full of regional promotions, there are a bunch of other promotions streaming fights every weekend too.

I'm perfectly fine with the UFC being higher quality.

Personally, I like having fights almost every weekend. I don't need to know who someone is to watch them fight (I may not remember them 5 minutes later, but I'll watch). And if they really had 42 events this year (as many as 47 in years past), that's a drastic cut.

The people who are saying they like this, I understand where they're coming from, but I don't want to hear a bunch of crying when fighters they like get cut. This will lead to a huge reduction in signed fighters.

Last edited:
They should do half that.

15 to 17 is better.

Ufc ppv once a month and 3-5 fight nights per year on top of that. Cards would be more stacked and deserving of my $60.

Bellator about to have their pick of a whole bunch of up and comers and past their prime fighters.

Will lol if Platinum gets cut.

You look up a prelim fighter on Fight Finder, and realize you've already seen him fight twice; yet have no memory of it. Does this happen to anyone else?

If less would mean better quality cards and back to the "you have to be really good to be in the UFC" then yes.

I just hope it won't be the same as now, just with less fights during the year for the fighters. That's what I think will happen so I voted no.

Yeah....I'm not feelin this at all. I'm not like sherdog who bitches about every card if I don't want to watch because the card is weak simple fix...I don't watch lol

I actually enjoyed having an MMA event on almost every weekend

I;m okay with this if they put on fights that with fighters that are deserving and not just fights to sell PPVs based on popularity - in particular title fights. Undeserving fighters should not be jumping the line because they can sell PPVS they should have to earn that shot regardless of how many clueless casuals will tune in if they are to jump the line.

Back