UFC should cut Khabib loose

Khabib isn't your average UFC step over. The dude commands a certain type of respect. How many fighters could say the shit he did to Dana White at UFC 205 without being mega stars like Conor and get away with it.

Yep. While Conor maybe the moneymaker and freakshow attraction. Khabib is literally an ambassador routinely doing showcases and touring all over Centrial-Asia and Russia, promoting both MMA and the UFC (and the Eagles MMA) brand.

If you follow his IG, he' all over the place commanding "respect" as you put it. Not to mention, his charity work: he was at an orphanage/disable center not long ago. He's also a big ambassador for Reebok in that part of the world, the store appearances get mobbed like crazy.

For a few reasons;

1) very inactive, both due to injuries and failed weight cuts

2) apparently ducking Ferguson over and over again, yes he is campaigning for a shot at Conor because he wants a money fight, but come on the guy has fought 3 times in the last 3 years

3) not a needle mover, this isn't a sleight but is a fact. To us hardcore fans, he is a draw but to the casual UFC fan, he is some undefeated guy from some part of "Russia", ignorant but true

I'm usually a proponent of fighters getting the best possible pay for their fights but that is for the guys that actually fight, and fight anyone. Those are the kind of guys that earn everyone's respect.

Khabib would get a reality check outside of the UFC. Coker cut Askren loose without hesitation. While Bellator would snap Khabib up (although he has never had a UFC title), even with sponsorship money, I would expect he would be getting less than the UFC (especially given in a title fight, he could negotiate for PPV points).

Funny how in some ways, he seems like Fedor back in the day. Fedor had all kinds of ridiculous requirements for the UFC, who in all fairness offered him huge money. Khabib could be a star in the UFC if he actually made weight, fought everyone and keeps winning.

I say let him go... He will come back humble and ready to rumble.
Agree with everything except for 3). He owns Russia and the Muslim community love him. That's the only reason he hasn't been cut tbh. He's a needle mover outside of our bubble.

Agree with everything except for 3). He owns Russia and the Muslim community love him. That's the only reason he hasn't been cut tbh. He's a needle mover outside of our bubble.

How many cards has the UFC hosted in Russia or in Khabib's actual state, Dagestan? I am sure it's a market they would love to move into but given Khabib only fights once a year (if that), I wouldn't be banking on it if I were the UFC.

For a few reasons;

2) apparently ducking Ferguson over and over again, yes he is campaigning for a shot at Conor because he wants a money fight, but come on the guy has fought 3 times in the last 3 years

3) not a needle mover, this isn't a sleight but is a fact. To us hardcore fans, he is a draw but to the casual UFC fan, he is some undefeated guy from some part of "Russia", ignorant but true

I'm usually a proponent of fighters getting the best possible pay for their fights but that is for the guys that actually fight, and fight anyone. Those are the kind of guys that earn everyone's respect.

Khabib would get a reality check outside of the UFC. Coker cut Askren loose without hesitation. While Bellator would snap Khabib up (although he has never had a UFC title), even with sponsorship money, I would expect he would be getting less than the UFC (especially given in a title fight, he could negotiate for PPV points).

Funny how in some ways, he seems like Fedor back in the day. Fedor had all kinds of ridiculous requirements for the UFC, who in all fairness offered him huge money. Khabib could be a star in the UFC if he actually made weight, fought everyone and keeps winning.

Don't throw Fedor in this with the "UFC's all kinds of money." Dana' s "all kinds of money" can differ slightly from what that actually means. When Fedor was in hia prime, the UFC paid a combined 80k for Sylvia vs Arlovski. I'm sure if you asked Dana, that was "all kinds of money."

Yup everyone has said Khabib is a duckmaster - Cerrone, Lee and Ferg. Makes me think he's only interested in preserving that fake 0 and a little worried about the big American wrestlers.

But you don't need to cut him. Just keep offering him fights he turns down and between that and injury and religious holiday he's effectively cut himself.

For a few reasons;

You're not a hardcore fan if you're making a thread about cutting one of the best LW fighters in the world.

For a few reasons;

They should not cut him. And they should not put him in a main event. I dont think Khabib deserves a shot at the title at this very moment because of hes inactivity.

Did you know that Khabib became a superstar in Russia right around the MJ win?
Khabib stated in a interview after the MJ win that he could not walk the streets of Russia without getting mobbed.
Did you know that the UFC used Khabib cuz of hes new stardom and hes then upcoming fight against T-Ferg in negotiations for the re-newal of their Russian TV deal?
Khabib may not be a star among the casuals in the USA, but the USA is not the world.

This is what it looks like in Russia when Khabib makes an appearance at a Reebok store:

How many cards has the UFC hosted in Russia or in Khabib's actual state, Dagestan? I am sure it's a market they would love to move into but given Khabib only fights once a year (if that), I wouldn't be banking on it if I were the UFC.
I believe Russia was part of there expansion plans. Also I'm sure Russia still pays for PPV's. It's the same reason there not even thinking about cutting Mark Hunt. He owns Australia, and there not even a big market. Keep in mind he's suing them as we speak, but they won't let him go lol

If there smart, they would look past Kahbib and invest in some active Russians from ACB.

I believe Russia was part of there expansion plans. Also I'm sure Russia still pays for PPV's. It's the same reason there not even thinking about cutting Mark Hunt. He owns Australia, and there not even a big market. Keep in mind he's suing them as we speak, but they won't let him go lol

If there smart, they would look past Kahbib and invest in some active Russians from ACB.

I'd read that as well. One FC doesn't seem to have an issue putting on massive stadium cards in Russia. Plus their ring girls... :)

No one was calling for Cain Velasquez or Dominick Cruz to be cut. I wonder what the difference is?

TS is a Conor fan and doesn't want his hero to get beat.

Khabib vs Askren at 170 sounds good to me.

Love seeing this dude fight. He's the "Just Bleed" grappler. Wish he would fight more. Its frustrating being a Khabib fan.

An event in Russian will inevitably be in Moscow or Petersburg. Most likely the former which also has a huge North Caucasian population. But people will be travelling from all over the place to attend the event anyways.

The only countries paying for PPV are the US, Canada and Australia, New Zealand. Its free on Russian TV.

In fact, after the TV deal expired a year ago. They basically used the Khabib vs Tony fight to up the licensing fees. Because right before that match got made, they were delaying renewing the license.

You are obviously just a hater...Sending him off to bellator undefeated after beating a bunch of UFC guys including a recent LW champion is just dumb.

There is no need to cut him when the UFC will make money off of him...Undefeated fighters are very rare in MMA.

He will fight when he fights and at some point he will fight conor in a big money fight as an undefeated challenger.

I'd read that as well. One FC doesn't seem to have an issue putting on massive stadium cards in Russia. Plus their ring girls... :)
So many untapped markets that no one knows about. I really need to start watching ONE more regularly.

The only countries paying for PPV are the US, Canada and Australia, New Zealand. Its free on Russian TV.

In fact, after the TV deal expired a year ago. They basically used the Khabib vs Tony fight to up the licensing fees. Because right before that match got made, they were delaying renewing the license.
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I think there's a Dana media scrum where a Russian reporter straight up says she bootlegs UFC ppv's. Straight Dana's face lol.

I'm guessing there banking on Kahbib selling out a stadium in Russia. Regardless of PPV's Russia and the Muslim community still support. Buy merch, etc.

And tbh, you can't cut a guy for being injured.

So many untapped markets that no one knows about. I really need to start watching ONE more regularly.

Some damn good cards. The Fight Network shows their events here in Canada regularly. A lot of smaller fighters but there are some bigger guys. A lot of russian fighters on the cards too. A guy I was impressed with is Adriano Moraes, a very tough 125 pounder, and Eduard Folayang (who has a win over Shinya Aoki). Also Angela Lee their female champ is 8-0 with 7 finishes.

Also Bibiano Fernandes is pretty impressive, 21-3, fought in Pride and Dream, hasn't lost since 2011.

Their top tier fighters are pretty good but they do tend to fight lesser talents.

I was a bit surprised to realize Brandon Vera is currently a champ in One FC. He has had 3 first round KO's there.

Back