UFC Moscow weigh in: Taisumov missed weight by 5 pounds

I mean, he lost 40% of his purse and I doubt he's making a big check but yeah I see what you mean. This is unacceptable.
Any % of purse penalty is not only irrelevant, It is an investment that more often than not pays off for the fighter missing weight. They NEED to be penalized in the fight.

I bet ANYTHING that if the UFC took point(s) from a fighter for missing, it would IMMEDIATELY 100% STOP!!!!!

Miss by over the 1 pound allocation, deduct a point from the fighter to start the first round! Miss by 3-4 ponds, deduct the point from the fighter in both round 1 & 2. Miss by 5 pounds or more, deduct the point from the first three rounds. This will give the cheater that does not make weight a far greater chance of LOSING. Make all failed weight cutters take a loss on their records, and they should be easy to cut.

Injury maybe and couldn't get the last few lbs off.

It's anyone's guess which fighters are missing weight on purpose to have an advantage, but doesn't seem to be much talked about a fighter getting injured mid-camp and having to nurse it. Especially Taisumov as he's fighting so close to home.
I agree injuries play a factor. But injuries have been around forever and weight missing is rampant out of nowhere so it’s intersting to see

Same guy that said Dustin Poirier doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure something went wrong and I know Taisumov is good, but it's just funny to me that he says that then misses weight.

6, not sure where that 7 came from tho, could be kg to lbs conversion done wrong?

I assume they're allowed the extra pound to be 156 so it looks like 5? I don't know, either way it's a bad miss.

<Fedor23>

Glad it's still on but hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure about that. Hasn't he had weight cut problems before (and just wrecked the other guy)?
Fighters that have showed us this year overweight have a staggering winning percentage, or at least were like a 90% last time I checked, so it could go well for him. That being said, 7 pounds off is a shit ton and reminds me of Nate vs RDA, where Nate showed up grossly over weight, had some knee problem, and ceremoniously got REKT.

Taisumov is an absolute destroyer of world's tho, and if Conor can mutilate Holloway on one leg, I think Mairbek can too, but I am still willing to bet there is some sort of issue that prevents him from making it down to 56.

Same guy that said Dustin Poirier doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure something went wrong and I know Taisumov is good, but it's just funny to me that he says that then misses weight.
There's so many nasty Chechen and Dagestan fighters, almost to the point where there is too many and they are too good for their own good. Who wants to fight a guy that could violate them and no one knows who he is, and said guy only has 2000 twitter followers with half being Russian bots.

Edit: Lol, I thought you were @wilKO

I assume they're allowed the extra pound to be 156 so it looks like 5? I don't know, either way it's a bad miss.

<Fedor23>

Glad it's still on but hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Right, they are allowed to miss by 1, on non title fights, considering is the LW division, i would consider it missing by 6lbs, it reminds me of a company where i used to work, they allowed people to be 10 minutes late...but, if people arrives 20 minutes late they deducted the full 20 minutes of the paycheck, not only 10 because the first 10 was an allowance, i see it the same way, if he makes 161 its 6lbs over, not 5.

In these extreme cases there should be a rule in written so they dont have to take the fights, or at least a rule on how much they can rehydrate, like no more than 167lbs for a LW fight.

Right, they are allowed to miss by 1, on non title fights, considering is the LW division, i would consider it missing by 6lbs, it reminds me of a company where i used to work, they allowed people to be 10 minutes late...but, if people arrives 20 minutes late they deducted the full 20 minutes of the paycheck, not only 10 because the first 10 was an allowance, i see it the same way, if he makes 161 its 6lbs over, not 5.

In these extreme cases there should be a rule in written so they dont have to take the fights, or at least a rule on how much they can rehydrate, like no more than 167lbs for a LW fight.

To each their own my friend. I agree there need to be better rules. I'd like to see them go the route of One.

Well shit, that was his first time in his pro MMA career that he missed weight, in 32 fights.

Shit happens I guess.

Also why 7 pounds? He has to weigh-in at 156. If he's 161 that means he has missed weight by 5 pounds.

He weighed in at 162.3 before but I don't know if the catchweight fight was his fault,Damkovsky's or originally agreed upon but that's usually not the case.Not saying he's missed weight before but it could have been a problem before.

How is 161 missing by 7 lbs?

I think the 7 pounds was the originally reported missed weight.

Desmond Green is 156.

Also: Jin Soo Sun makes 137 lbs. Missed weight by 1 lbs. And he not will cut weight anymore too.

For more information check out @BrMassami on twitter.

P.S. Feel free to judge.

Edit:
Complete weight ins:

made weight
missed weight

Mark Hunt (265) vs. Aleksei Oleinik (235)
Jan Blachowicz (205) vs. Nikita Krylov (205)
Andrei Arlovski (244) vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov (256)
Alexey Kunchenko (170) vs. Thiago Alves (171)

Khalid Murtazaliev (185) vs. CB Dollaway (186)
Petr Yan (136) vs. Jin Soo Son (137)
Rustam Khabilov (156) vs. Kajan Johnson (155)
Mairbek Taisumov (161?) vs. Desmond Green (156)
Magomed Ankalaev (204) vs. Marcin Prachnio (205)
Jordan Johnson (186) vs. Adam Yandiev (184)
Ramazan Emeev (171) vs. Stefan Sekulic (170)
Merab Dvalishvili (135) vs. Terrion Ware (135)

Yikes!! 40%

Weight cut miss is just a distraction drawing attention away from Desmond green who will mysteriously disappear into the Russian country side to live out the rest of his life hiding from American authorities ..and federal charges that are pending..so it's all good

jesus christ, all the fucking visa issues, barely fighting, now this?

this guy is so fucking good, but all this shit is just getting ridiculous.

i just wanna see him fight some fucking top 10's already!!!!!!!

You could argue that the UFC or the commission need to call the fight off if one fighter misses weight over a certain amount, like when one fighter is closer to the weight class above the one is supposed to fight in.

The opponent is by default is more likely than not to accept the fight because of the extra money, fan pressure, etc.
They should require the fighter who missed weight to be no heavier than 10% over the weight class, one hour before the fight.

For example, Taisumov could be no heavier than 172 lbs, one hour prior to the fight. It would prevent these fighters from gaining an unfair advantage.

Back