UFC issues statement on choice to strip Germaine de Randamie of featherweight title

Not to double post, but I see a lot of people drawing comparisons to Hendo and McGregor, but I don't think that's fair.

Hendo held an unavenged KO win over Bisping and was coming off a spectacular KO on a top 10 middleweight.

Conor fought Nate on short notice, and received a rematch after a quick turnaround. He also forfeited his #1 LW contender spot to Eddie Alvarez. Furthermore, he WAS stripped after it became clear he had no intention of fighting Aldo, so there is a precedent in place.

You can argue Conor should be stripped of the lightweight belt due to the Mayweather obligations, but the fact is that UFC has not named a LW #1 contender nor offered it to him.

It is totally within their power to do the same thing for Conor, but it's not really fair to compare the two. There's not a clear cut #1 lightweight contender in the same way Cyborg is the clear contender at 145. If one emerges and Conor refuses, we'll then we have an issue. He refused to defend against aldo, belt was gone. He has not refused anyone at LW yet.

Good. I don't care how she spins it; she knew Cyborg was next before she accepted the Holm fight.

She just wanted the title, but she didn't want to fight Cyborg. Holly, despite turning down Cyborg in the past, would have fought her. Good riddance.
Yep pretty much sums it up. Fuck her dirty bitch.

How does GDR's situation compare to McGregor? She's stalling a division because she refuses to fight. McGregor "stalled" a division because he moved up - had 2 of the most succesful non title fights in UFC history - then challenged the champion of the higher weightclass. You see the difference?

And McGregor was still stripped, so what the fuck are you talking about?
You right it doesnt. McGregor was holding duo divisions, its worst.
It definitely is a double standard I agree.

I'm just saying it's not like they offered Bisping the Romero fight and he turned it down it was never offered.

GDR was offered a fight with the top contender (only other person in the division) and turned it down
Michael turned down the Yoel fight twice. One in Decemeber and the most recent one that cause Dana to make a interim belt. So you think the UFC made a interim title without asking the Champion to defend ? That would make 0 sense.

Waterson-Van Zant did the best December ratings for a fox card in three years.
Holm-Schevchenko did best summer ratings in their history

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/...c-on-fox-20-to-best-summer-ratings-in-history
https://www.mmamania.com/2016/12/20...rs-vanzant-waterson-northcutt-gall-sacramento

Neither was stacked card by any means.
I applaud you for backing up your statement. However I will rebuttal with those numbers are not an accurate representation of the popularity of the women's division mainly because PVZ is another one of the UFC media machine products as well as Holm. Holly mainly just having a name because of her win over rousey who again the UFC pushed hard. The women's division as a whole does not carry the same notoriety of their 2 or 3 big names or they would be able to fill a main card by themselves. My main grievance with WMMA like I said is it being forced down the fans throats along with spots on main cards being given to people undeserving of it compared to people lower on the card. That applies to both male and female but it happens at a much higher rate with female fights.
Edit: @tithas this applies to your post as well.

Ultimate Fighting Conor red panty rule dont apply to a div with 3 fighters in it. You gotta give something to get something. She really has nothing anyone wants other than fighting Cyborg. People will just hope she loses to whoever she fights at 135. People would root for Bethe against her.

Maintaining the integrity of the sport by allowing dopers to benefit from the use of prohibited substances for years after their suspensions end instead of banning them for life...got it.

Why did Vitor deflate so fast if roids help for years after the fact. Hendo is old but declined overnight after TRT was gone. What happened to Erik Silva?

It definitely is a double standard I agree.

I'm just saying it's not like they offered Bisping the Romero fight and he turned it down it was never offered.

GDR was offered a fight with the top contender (only other person in the division) and turned it down
yea all of that is true. bisping just played the injury card and was vocal of wanting to fight anyone but Romero. GDR knew that was her only fight and still choose to get stripped.

Michael-Bisping-UFC.png

Why did Vitor deflate so fast if roids help for years after the fact. Hendo is old but declined overnight after TRT was gone. What happened to Erik Silva?

Juicers don't maintain their inflated physics, but can gain muscle much faster than a clean athlete. As far as other benefits (speed, recovery) that don't continue, those could explain the drop-off in some fighters.

to be fair, conor DID get stripped you guys arer reaching

If the UFC ever wants to be in the same breath as NFL,MLB,NBA, NHL, NCAA sports....even pro tennis then champions need to fight top contenders.This isn't einsteinian or esoteric.

I would hope that any cage fighting talent strives to be the best and given the chance to be the best------FFS, they have a GOD DAMN 60 minute tv show every week.

Let's be honest the division was created for cyborg and the champion did not want to fight her. UFC's hands were tied. Also GDR was a pretty sketchy champion with those late shots.

I disagree. Her first UFC appearance really set the tone for what she could be, a beastly beast of a woman KOing bitches left and right. There is massive potential.

She already has made something of herself outside the UFC, with her consistency (if it can be maintained) and fighting under UFC banner she could be big. Not Ronda big but surely enough to rake in some very decent PPV numbers.

However if it were Cyborg rather than Holly that dismantled Ronda from her puffy throne of arogance, she would be much bigger.

This whole assault thing actually works in her favor as well.

She is a 2 time drug cheat. She will never be big.

Let's be honest the division was created for cyborg and the champion did not want to fight her. UFC's hands were tied. Also GDR was a pretty sketchy champion with those late shots.

She didn't want to fight someone busted for drugs. Just like Brock the UFC is willing to let her cheat.

Sorry that makes no sense read maybe it does with Conor logic.

Eddie is about the best possible match up I can think for him so no. The last two people he fought are 2 of the worst defensive in MMA history. So let me get this right your valid point was saying that he would more of a favourite against the people I wanted him to fight. The thing is you are assuming you know who I want him to fight so your point was going to be based off my opinion that you don't even know. How about this he is the champ in the deepest division, won't be fighting for at least 11 months after the win. Is healthy enough to box but not do what he contracted to do , fight in the UFC. He doesn't have an opponent lined up in the UFC. That will be figured out in October.... pushing him till prob December to fight.

My feeble mind seems to work a bit better then yours. If he does come back how will you spin Conor/Nate 3 lol. You are just another lemming. Your point was based off an assumption of my opinion and you are calling me dumb?

lol. your point is that he only takes selective fights and avoids #1 contenders but you're saying i have no idea who you are arguing he should have fought instead of the guys he did fight. hahaha. and now you're playing dumb as to what your actual opinion is. lol.

I think it's retarded when people say GDR could never be a real champion because she was unwilling to fight Justino. Anabolic steroids have a much more powerful effect on women than on men, and anyone with two eyes can see this when they look at that creature they call Cyborg. Fallon Fox looks more like a female than Justino does at this point.

This isn't a fucking tennis match, people die in combat sports.

Back