UFC Has not reached 1 million PPVs since 2010

mmafan988

Joe Son's Thong
@Blue
Reaction score
source up front: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years. I think the UFC loss of big stars like Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Lesnar, even Kimbo Slice, has hurt the hype of mma (UFC). Dana White has tried a few new things such as adding new weight classes and female division but it hasn't really helped much. I think something total new has to be done to help it grow. Either something totally new and innovative or find more big stars.

I've been saying this for well over a year now, but getting someone like Tim Tebow would be Dana White's best option. Tebow is only making $650,000/yr in the NFL now, being a 3rd string qb. He is known to show interest in the mma world http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-trains-mixed-martial-arts-ufc-heavyweight-160200687--nfl.html. I'm not saying it has to be Tebow but that is an example of what the UFC needs to grow. At least 2-3 big name stars....new Coutures, Liddells, Lesnars, Slices, Hughes, Royce Gracies, etc...

Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.

Non growing?
Arent they doing several million on Fox Saturday nights?
Dont they have several new shows and damn near their own network in Fuel/FoxSports 1?
Thats decline?
Tough crowd

Sure. Get Tebow.
Also, add Tag team matches, right?

Or, according to everyone else, just put Chael on every PPV. I hear he's a top PPV seller,

sadly, tebow in a ufc fight would threaten the ppv record.

casual fans love a freakshow

Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.

Ok and what are we supposed to do with these "facts"?

Should we stop watching because we're only one of 800,000 instead of one of 1000,000 that's watching a PPV?

I never understood the reason for the need for people to point this shit out

Michael Mcdonald is sort of like Tim Tebow

Well its pretty obvious that UFC is on the decline. It isn't as popular as it once was. PPV buys are down.

UFC is doing fine. They just shifted their focus a bit from almost strictly PPV to network TV. Halfway through the year and we've already seen almost as many events as there were in all of 2010.

Non growing?
Dont they have several new shows and damn near their own network in Fuel/FoxSports 1?
Thats decline?
Tough crowd

They've always had free fight cards except they were on Spike. I actually preferred them being on Spike vs. Fuel. Lots of cablel carriers dont even offer Fuel TV.

I also didn't even mention the low ratings of TUF as well. If it wasn't for the new weight classes and female division numbers would probably be even lower.

MMA is always evolving, that's the hardest thing about it. Other major sports rarely evolve. But I think by having bigger names, UFC can get back on the rise. It sucks to be in White's shoes now though, all his boys are gone.

They did more last year than 2011 and similar numbers to 2008 (though obviously with a lower average).

They will eventually have to move away from PPV, it is a contracting buisness.

They've always had free fight cards except they were on Spike. I actually preferred them being on Spike vs. Fuel. Lots of cablel carriers dont even offer Fuel TV.

I also didn't even mention the low ratings of TUF as well. If it wasn't for the new weight classes and female division numbers would probably be even lower.

MMA is always evolving, that's the hardest thing about it. Other major sports rarely evolve. But I think by having bigger names, UFC can get back on the rise. It sucks to be in White's shoes now though, all his boys are gone.

Except the free cards since the FOX deal blow the Spike fight nights out of the water.

UFC is doing fine. They just shifted their focus a bit from almost strictly PPV to network TV. Halfway through the year and we've already seen almost as many events as there were in all of 2010.

Its funny how people dont seem to understand this
Their fights are being seen by more people than ever but somehow thats a decline

Its funny how people dont seem to understand this
Their fights are being seen by more people than ever but somehow thats a decline

It's a decline in the number of people willing to pay for their product.

Their network deals bring exposure but so fare it hasn't helped bring in fans that will buy the PPVs. They make a lot more money on PPVs than they do on network TV.

if this is a decline, then i couldn't be happier.

lots of free, and usually very good quality, events.

i'm buying fewer ppv's and saving a lot of time/money.

source up front: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years.

The problem is your metric for growth.

The reality is the UFC is increasing the number of shows every year, increasing the number of free shows every year, and is in my households worldwide than they ever were.

That's growth.

Non growing?
Thats decline?
Tough crowd
free show on cable tv and ppv are two total different animals my brother.
I know what ts means and I have to agree with him at some point. I think that Lesnar and Kimbo brought in a load of people but somehow as soon as they left, the guys that were watching mma only because of these two followed them as well.

Their network deals bring exposure but so fare it hasn't helped bring in fans that will buy the PPVs. They make a lot more money on PPVs than they do on network TV.

Ill bet their sponsorship dollars and merchandise sales have been climbing now that all these new eyes are viewing their product

Their current model is more profitable though. UFC 100 had three fights that could have easily headlined their own event. The UFC has not broken a million, but it has come close with several cards that had a strong main event and a relatively weak undercard.

It's a decrease in people wanting to buy their PPVs, cause as I have stated, they are shifting from PPV to network TV. Money from sponsors and advertisers on TV is much, much more lucrative. They are intentionally watering down their PPVs to mirror this, as Dana White has stated before that he intends to do away with PPV in the future altogether. So as far as I can tell, everything is going according to planned.

Back