UFC Has not reached 1 million PPVs since 2010

4 500 thousand viewer pulling shows in a month or one 1 million viewers pulling PPV a month? Ultimately you're making more money doing the former, growing the sport quicker and frankly getting more viewers.

Just because buyrates are down doesn't mean less people are watching.

Too many weight classses, too many events. I've lost interest bigtime in the last year or two. I honestly don't really care

☝ That's sad

no surprise. the cards are mostly watered down garbage these days.

lost huge interest when they added in 434324 weight classes.

4 500 thousand viewer pulling shows in a month or one 1 million viewers pulling PPV a month? Ultimately you're making more money doing the former, growing the sport quicker and frankly getting more viewers.

I'm pretty sure a PPV event with 1 million buyrate is more profitable than a Fox event with 4.5 million viewers. Besides, a lot of people who buy a PPV do it with a handful of people or watch at a bar so there are way more viewers than there are buys. Not to mention people who watch it on a free stream.

i believe more people are being economical these days.

1. People stream the PPV events.

2. My friends and i have UFC parties where there would be at least 15 of us watching the PPV event.

3. When the fights are on FUEL, all of us stay at home to watch.

Just saving here in there is what I think the UFC fans have started to do.

Funny you say that since Floyd just has his lowest selling PPV in who knows how long. He didnt even hit a million buys which is why Showtime pushed the Canelo fight on him so hard because Showtime lost alot of money on his last fight.
doesnt change the fact

What it comes to is that they've made a business decision. They would rather put on 4 events that draws 300 K hardcore fans (total of 1.2 mil) in two months than 1 event every two months that draws a million.

It's the picking up the short term dollar at the expense of long term growth. If you're not converting casual fans into hardcore fans with big events then your business is in jeopardy if something happens to put off hardcore fans.

Why are there so many stupid people on this site?

They have many more PPVs in any given year now than they did a couple of years ago.

views per PPV will be down, but total views for the calender year will be higher.

Why are there so many stupid people on this site?

They have many more PPVs in any given year now than they did a couple of years ago.

views per PPV will be down, but total views for the calender year will be higher.

The amount of yearly PPV events hasn't really grown since 2008 or so. There are just way more free events.

LOL MMA critics act as if it is the UFC's intention to sell a million buys per PPV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

The amount of yearly PPV events hasn't really grown since 2008 or so. There are just way more free events.

This is a big reason too

Total events are up, a lot are free and I believe more people stream events (compared to 2008) or go to bars/restaurants to watch PPV events instead of ordering them.

does it even matter, anyway? nobody knows what it takes for an event to profit dana and co anyway... my guess is most of the ppv buys is extra gravy. the live gate could cover almost everything.

what u wrote is fine... but why is khabib in ur list of habitual weight "missers?" hes only done it once, there are many others who woulda been more appropriate.

I'm amazed that they can pull off 250k+ buys for crud cards every month. Any other promoter would kill for that.

LOL MMA critics act as if it is the UFC's intention to sell a million buys per PPV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

They hoped to do that with Silva vs. Sonnen 2. Buyrate was estimated to be +900k and IIRC Dana thought it would have beat the buyrate of UFC 100 which would have meant roughly 1,6 million PPV buys.

Why is it the people not buying any of the cards are the ones who complain the most about card quality?

I'm actually impressed by how consistent they've become even as the original stars of the sport disappear.
ewer
I think this is the most vulnerable time period for the UFC when the fighters that created the original intrigue have retired or moved on. They have to hold on to the older fans who are losing the fighters that brought them to the sport. And they still have to create newer fans without the legacies of those older fighters to rely upon.

They're doing a decent job. Jones, GSP, Sonnen, are all serving as great fighters for bridging that time gap (obviously Sonnen isn't bridging that gap through his fighting skills). There are others but I think the UFC is doing a pretty good job during this transition phase.

Back