UFC Fox 23 - Pena vs Shevchenko - Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched a few fights for Shev and Pena (UFC fight pass didn't have Pena vs Cat though, anyone have link?). I went in thinking I would favor Pena, but may pass now. She is reckless striking just pushing forward into the pocket throwing random strikes and Shev is a great counter striker. Shev doesn't lead much or throw a lot of volume, but that probably won't matter as Pena will be constantly moving into the pocket. That said Pena did show some nice trips from the clinch which Nunes used very effectively against Shev. Also Shev has lost against the two fighters she has fought that are most similar to Pena in Carmouche and Nunes. Meaning decently athletic girls that are going to try to clinch and grapple. Tough fight to call, I could see Shev piecing her up on the feet, but still getting taken down enough to lose the fight. No bet for now for me.

Pena vs Zingano: https://www.ufc.tv/video/julianna-pena-vs-cat-zingano-ufc-200

Haha damn I searched by both fighter's names, but guess I should've looked for the event instead? Thanks either way!

Yea by event is the way to go if you can't find a fight with the normal search. The FightPass search feature is THE WORST.

Zingano straight bossed her in the clinch for the first round and a half, but Pena is relentless in getting top position. She seems to always find a way to end up on top and once she's there she does a good job of keeping busy and not allowing her opponent back up. Also had another nice trip takedown in the third, although Cat was looking to be starting to slow down. Pena seems to have a great gas tank as that was about as grappling heavy a fight as you will see and she was still fresh after 3. I feel Shev is the better fighter, but its wmma and Pena being athletic, relentless and having good cardio may well be enough to net a W.

On another note, I decided to side with Valentina after rewatching all of both girls UFC fights. To me, she's just the more skilled and well rounded fighter. Pena likes to bull rush her opponents and thus far it's worked for her but I think that will end here. Pena's takedowns all come from the clinch and Valentina is very strong there. Standup wise, it's not really close, as Pena is Ronda-esque with her striking. I am a bit concerned about Valentina off her back. If Pena manages to get on top of her early in a round, it may spell trouble. But, I'm confident that Valentina will be able to keep the fight where she needs it for long enough to win at least 3 rounds. I'm in for 2u at +100.

Just watched a few fights for Shev and Pena (UFC fight pass didn't have Pena vs Cat though, anyone have link?). I went in thinking I would favor Pena, but may pass now. She is reckless striking just pushing forward into the pocket throwing random strikes and Shev is a great counter striker. Shev doesn't lead much or throw a lot of volume, but that probably won't matter as Pena will be constantly moving into the pocket. That said Pena did show some nice trips from the clinch which Nunes used very effectively against Shev. Also Shev has lost against the two fighters she has fought that are most similar to Pena in Carmouche and Nunes. Meaning decently athletic girls that are going to try to clinch and grapple. Tough fight to call, I could see Shev piecing her up on the feet, but still getting taken down enough to lose the fight. No bet for now for me.

Didn't want to comment more on this fight since I it's seems to come down to the clinch and I'm frankly not good enough to argue with a lot of you guys regarding that.

That said I feel I need to comment on the "lost to Carmouche" statement. I looked for that fight a lot before Shevs debut and I'm fairly sure tape just isn't available to me in any reasonable way, not even sure it exists. However, I found a few different sources (which I can't link due to my last computer going down with all of my notes a couple of months back) all of them stating that it was a TKO due to a cut or "bullshit" and that Shev more or less dominated round 1.

Due to the fact that there seemed to be a few different independent sources and no indication of anything else (except the "TKO retirement" note on her sherdog page) I feel inclined to believe it and disregard that loss.

I'm number 1, I'm a nightmare matchup for anyone, the UFC really wanted me to take this fight, they kept pushing it and pushing it, saying other girls would pass me and get the title shot if I don't take this fight, was alot of pressure from the UFC, and the fans and Shevchenko saying I'm afraid of her, I deserved a title shot, but the fans didn't think that, so now I will prove it, I've been b*tching and moaning to the UFC for a while, I've deserved a title shot for a couple years now, and I don't know why they won't give it to me, I've watched every video on her, I know everything, she's a strong fighter, I've never met another fighter more dominant than me, I expect a great finish, my gameplan hasn't changed, i come forward just like all the other girls, bite down on my mouthpiece, I always prepare the same, there is nothing she'll show that I'm not ready for

lol she is delusional.. deserved a title shot for years? a couple years ago her only achievement was beating some bums on TUF :D

i am still torn on the fight might drop a little bit on Shev since so many of you like her here but i am worried after seeing how many times Shev got into the clinch with Kaufman hwo is slow as a turtle.. will mainly livebet if i see her easily avoiding the clinch i will drop some serious money on her

Shev's been in Colorado around a week i believe. When is Pena arriving? I saw her comment where she said the altitude didn't matter to her.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-camp-update-sik-jitsu-julianna-pena-michael-chiesa-sam-sicilia

Not sure if the guy is genius or straight retarded, but that can't be a good way to be successful in the long run or even against someone who hits reasonably hard.

lol what a dickhead. Look at the list of fighters none of them can fight standing to save their life (except maybe Scillia). It would be sooooo fucking hilarious if one of his fighters gets stopped from a body shot. I do in a way see where he's coming from you can tough out SOME body shots but if you get caught properly i can tell you first hand it paralyses you it was probably the worst pain i've ever experienced. I think it's an idiotic strategy would love it if Chisea fights Barboza. Let's see how that strategy serves you then.

Shev's been in Colorado around a week i believe. When is Pena arriving? I saw her comment where she said the altitude didn't matter to her.

not sure if she stayed/been training there but this pic was taken 4 weeks ago:

15538730_234255630345842_7800063245540130816_n.jpg

lol what a dickhead. Look at the list of fighters none of them can fight standing to save their life (except maybe Scillia). It would be sooooo fucking hilarious if one of his fighters gets stopped from a body shot. I do in a way see where he's coming from you can tough out SOME body shots but if you get caught properly i can tell you first hand it paralyses you it was probably the worst pain i've ever experienced. I think it's an idiotic strategy would love it if Chisea fights Barboza. Let's see how that strategy serves you then.
The irony is that is actually has happened. Cody Mckenzie got dropped by a bodyshot from Mendes, and if I remember correctly same happened before with him vs Nam Phan on TUF. Not sure if Cody was already with him at the time though. Hope Cody has 'manned up' since then.

Last edited:
Don't want to repeat what's already been said ITT too much but Masvidal should definitely be a small favourite at least - the odds are off and it warrants a bet. One potential route for Cerrone could be leg kicks as masvidal does sit quite heavy but that could easily lead to heavy counters. The reactive takedown could be the undoing - I want to see the sub line for a hedge.

The irony is that is actually has happened. Cody Mckenzie got dropped by a bodyshot from Mendes, and if I remember correctly same happened before with him vs Nam Phan on TUF. Not sure if Cody was already with him at the time though. Hope Cody has 'manned up' since then.

Oh yeah i remember Mendes starching him lol

lol she is delusional.. deserved a title shot for years? a couple years ago her only achievement was beating some bums on TUF :D

i am still torn on the fight might drop a little bit on Shev since so many of you like her here but i am worried after seeing how many times Shev got into the clinch with Kaufman hwo is slow as a turtle.. will mainly livebet if i see her easily avoiding the clinch i will drop some serious money on her

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this. I mean it's good to be confident in yourself and all, but she really does sound like a crazy person with some of those comments.

lol at armpunches and leg kick technique. confidence increase andrei

Watching HL and fights of Francis. The technic and skills are not very impressive but his power and athleticism !!... this is just fucking scary . Dude is some kind of new predator at HW.
This will be execution on old pitbull.

Last edited:
Didn't want to comment more on this fight since I it's seems to come down to the clinch and I'm frankly not good enough to argue with a lot of you guys regarding that.

That said I feel I need to comment on the "lost to Carmouche" statement. I looked for that fight a lot before Shevs debut and I'm fairly sure tape just isn't available to me in any reasonable way, not even sure it exists. However, I found a few different sources (which I can't link due to my last computer going down with all of my notes a couple of months back) all of them stating that it was a TKO due to a cut or "bullshit" and that Shev more or less dominated round 1.

Due to the fact that there seemed to be a few different independent sources and no indication of anything else (except the "TKO retirement" note on her sherdog page) I feel inclined to believe it and disregard that loss.

That loss was also way back in 2010 when Valentina was probably only 21 or 22 years old. It's of very little significance here, IMO.

Watching HL and fights of Francis. The technic and skills are not very impressive but his power and athleticism !!... this is just fucking scary . Dude is some kind of new predator at HW.
This will be execution on old pitbull.

Hes patient something you don't see from many hw's especially those with such power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back