Tyron Woodley: The best striker in the WW division despite more or less only using one move?

Trolls like are disasters for forum sites like these.
No, Tyron Woodley is not THE BEST STRIKER.
He is, though, the heaviest striker, with the most punch.
Also, he might the #2 greatest WW ever.

Who are better WW strikers than? In pure technique and tactical precision and creativity with combos:
Darren Till
Rafael Dos Anjos
Stephen Thompson
Siyar
How are those guys better strikers when Woodley outstruck them lmao?

Makes Rory's performance against him look that much better everytime he destroys an opponent.
And Marquarts.

WW is weak right now, ONLY reason Woodley is champ.

Watch the Woodley marquart fight, the marquart Maia fight , and marquart losses in the UFC and tell me woodleys would have been champ 5-6 years ago.

No freaking way

He is one of 13 children. His dad never missed target and neither does he. It's genetics!!!!!

I'm not even sure if oponnents study Tyron, like seriously. Darren Till did same mistake like few other fighters finished by Woodley.
The fight IQ at WW seems to be astonishingly low.

Woodley has huge known holes in his game and Rory and marquart showed EXACTLY what to do, yet no one with the skills to do it even try.

and make Woodley's performance against Lawler/Condit/Thompson look much better everytime i see them beat Rory.
Rory beat Woodley 1 time doesn't mean that he has better legacy than Woodley, and the rematch will be different,i wont sure who will win but i'm pretty sure Woodley will fight different.

What a fucking strawman argument lmfao

His leg kicks are brutal. Hope he starts mixing them into his attack again.

Effectiveness is the only thing that matters in fighting when it comes to defining what the "best" is.

They're sure as fuck not out there to do kata.

I wouldn't call him the best striker, but I would call him the most effective.

To me best striker would be someone who has the greatest variety of strikes/ability to use them in a fight.

Woodley's wrestling opens up the power right and neutralizes guys who have a greater arsenal of strikes by making them worry about the takedown.

Makes Rory's performance against him look that much better everytime he destroys an opponent.
Tyron didn't even have a striking coach during that fight. I dislike Tyron but comparing that fight to now doesn't work. You could say lawler won a war vs rory but got wrecked in the 1st round by Tyron. MMA math doesn't work. Tyron had limited striking and was too comfortable against the cage vs a guy with good wrestling and great cage pressure striking. Terrible matchup for him.

don't forget tyron also beat paul daley and tarec saffeidine who are both great strikers. Tyron is the champion and has beat all those guys, therefore he is the best.

some guys like wonderboy may be more decorated in strip mall karate, but this is MMA and none of that carries over directly.

CHOSEN ONE BLESS

It get's a bit bogged down in semantics when you start talking about who is the best. His footwork and head movement isn't fantastic, he doesn't cut crazy angles. He's your typical MMA wrestle-boxer.

However his distance control and timing are fantastic. Rory did a great job of confusing Woodley's timing, leaving him looking like a deer in the headlights.
His power is top-level and his hand speed is unparalleled in the division. Everyone knows that right hand is coming but they don't realize how fast it is.
nope. his footwork has improved immensely. One of the main reasons why he is so effective.

Hes definitely right there. His work at wild card has been paying off. Not many guys have his speed and power plus hes got great timing. In pure striking he may not be the best but with 4oz gloves in a mma context he may be most effective. He wouldnt wanna strike with Tumenov though thats for sure.

Tyron striking is pretty high up in the WW division in terms of skill. I guess that it doesn't seem that way on the surface just cause his workrate is generally so low.

I wouldn't say he is the best striker but certainly the most dangerous.

And Marquarts.

WW is weak right now, ONLY reason Woodley is champ.

Watch the Woodley marquart fight, the marquart Maia fight , and marquart losses in the UFC and tell me woodleys would have been champ 5-6 years ago.

No freaking way
oh yea let tyron juice like marquardt did back them and have them fight again on equal terms. let's see who comes out on top. gtfo. tyron would absolutely annihilate that twerp and anyone if he had a coach back then (din thomas). Besides his boxing wasn't developed at the time and he was still learning the art of distance management, timing and footwork.

Being Effective is the only thing that matters I’m fighting. Who cares if you only got a couple of techniques if your beating every “better” striker at striking

He is the best striker in his division by far. He outstruck Wonderwoman.

Back