Tyron Woodley: The best striker in the WW division despite more or less only using one move?

Bobbybackpack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If not, who is?

He outstruck Wonderboy (×2), Knocked down Till, KO'd Lawler, TKO'd Condit (threw a kick for once), possibly outstruck Gastelum (now a MW).

He more or less waits for the opponent, and primarily waits for one overhand. His wrestling definitely aids this process though but he doesn't always rely on the wrestling. I don't know how he does with Ponzinibbio before taking him down.

Just stop. I know you think it's funny, but it's not even clever trolling. And don't pretend you're not trolling.

“Most effective” and “best” aren’t always the same thing in combat sports.

No one can take dat fooking right.

Just stop. I know you think it's funny, but it's not even clever trolling. And don't pretend you're not trolling.
I think Woodley is the most effective striker in the WW division. He's destroying the more technical & more diverse strikers and doing it on the feet. You could say he's the best striker imo because of the effectiveness.

I had a whole thread on it a couple days ago, and I guess maybe TS read that.

Last edited:
It get's a bit bogged down in semantics when you start talking about who is the best. His footwork and head movement isn't fantastic, he doesn't cut crazy angles. He's your typical MMA wrestle-boxer.

However his distance control and timing are fantastic. Rory did a great job of confusing Woodley's timing, leaving him looking like a deer in the headlights.
His power is top-level and his hand speed is unparalleled in the division. Everyone knows that right hand is coming but they don't realize how fast it is.

Woodley is definitely the best MMA striker in the WW division right now., he knocked down Lawler, Thompson (2x), Maia (1x), Till (1x), that is 100% knockdown rate if you only count his title fights
People who are saying Woodley is not the best current MMA striker in his division because Condit/Lawler/Gas/Till/Thompson were afraid of his wrestling should shut the fuck up. It is fucking MMA, Wrestling/BJJ/Ground game is a part of MMA, if you was afraid of someone wrestling and let him destroyed you on the feet that means he is a better MMA striker than you. This is not boxing or Kickboxing, stop saying he is not the best striker just because he has good wrestling to freeze his opponents.

Makes Rory's performance against him look that much better everytime he destroys an opponent.

Makes Rory's performance against him look that much better everytime he destroys an opponent.
and make Woodley's performance against Lawler/Condit/Thompson look much better everytime i see them beat Rory.
Rory beat Woodley 1 time doesn't mean that he has better legacy than Woodley, and the rematch will be different,i wont sure who will win but i'm pretty sure Woodley will fight different.

You have to take it in conjunction with his TDs. He went for like four attempts on Till, that opens up strikers and makes them hesitant.

Tyron is not even remotely the best striker in the WW division. Wrestling allows him to get away with things he could not otherwise do. His overall style is what makes him a great fighter. In terms of singular skills Tyron is probably not the best at anything but he is currently mixing it together better than anyone in his division. His myriad of skills is what makes him great not a singular talent.

Edit for addition: To clarify I am only addressing the statement that he is the best striker there was not mention of best mma striker in the opening post. In terms of striking only is what I am basing my response off.

Trolls like are disasters for forum sites like these.
No, Tyron Woodley is not THE BEST STRIKER.
He is, though, the heaviest striker, with the most punch.
Also, he might the #2 greatest WW ever.

Who are better WW strikers than? In pure technique and tactical precision and creativity with combos:
Darren Till
Rafael Dos Anjos
Stephen Thompson
Siyar

I'm not even sure if oponnents study Tyron, like seriously. Darren Till did same mistake like few other fighters finished by Woodley.

The Welterweight division has no great strikers honestly, Douglas Lima is probably the best there is and he's never going to fight Tyron.

Conor would school Tyron and show him what a real striker with TDD can do.

Back