Two big reasons why I think DC will beat Jones...

1.) Cain Velasquez is healthy and fighting the same night. Unlike last time, DC actually has Cain healthy to help him prepare. You can expect DC's wrestling and endurance to be a lot better for this fight. He didn't have this luxury in the last Jones fight. I'm not saying DC will run a wrestling clinic on Jones, but this will definitely help him when against the fence and for potential scrambles. And he will very likely have much better endurance this time.

2.) The first fight wasn't exactly a blowout and with some adjustments, DC CAN win the fight. Will he? That will be answered on fight night. But it wasn't such a one sided fight that DC just simply face "a guy who's a bad matchup for him". DC knows what he did wrong and what to do to prevent it from happening again.

I remember back in 2007 when Randy Couture said that when rematches happen, the guy who lost the first one has advantages going into the second fight as long as the first fight wasn't such an epic one sided beat down (and it definitely wasn't). And that's usually because the guy who lost will make the adjustments needed to not make those same mistakes twice. And also, the winner usually has a hard time getting "up" for the rematch or typically gets over confident. This levels the playing field tremendously.

I don't think people in these boards are giving DC the respect he deserves going into this fight. Typically Sherdoggers act as if rematches will always go down the same way the first one did or worse. In some cases that's true, but in most cases it's not. Jones is not a stylistic "bad matchup" for DC. They are evenly matched in a lot of ways. DC is stronger in many places than Jones is and visa versa.

Moreover, this fight will come down to where Jones is right now as a fighter. He looked very human against OSP despite winning clearly. Ring rust aside, if you look back over the last few years, Jones hasn't exactly been the same killer he's known to be in the first few years of his career. I can't give many more reasons why I think DC will win, but for this fight, he's definitely got a lot more going for him, I believe 110% that he's more hungry and motivated to win this fight than Jones is and if Jones doesn't come into this fight on his absolute A-Game, I feel he will lose this fight by decision.

I'm not speaking in absolutes like most people on here do, but I have this gut feeling that DC is gonna pull this off. Would it surprise me if Jones whooped DC's ass? Hell no it wouldn't. Jones is every bit as good as advertised. But I feel that in this moment, at this very time, DC is exactly where he needs to be to win this fight both physically and mentally.

Two more factors to add to your points -

1. Prior to the first DC/Jones fight, DC had only one previous 5 round fight, against Barnett. Since then, he's had two, both of which he overcame adversity.

2. Jones has only had one 5 round fight, not exactly a slobber-knocker for him, and he still looked like shit.

Two more factors to add to your points -

1. Prior to the first DC/Jones fight, DC had only one previous 5 round fight, against Barnett. Since then, he's had two, both of which he overcame adversity.

2. Jones has only had one 5 round fight, not exactly a slobber-knocker for him, and he still looked like shit.
If ANYONE is showing signs of slowing down, it's Jones. When is the last time he's destroyed anyone the way he destroyed past prime Shogun or Machida in 2010 and 2011? People are living in the past.

Yeah because Heavyweights are as fast as Light Heavyweights right? And Heavyweight has always been more talent stacked than Light Heavyweight, right? Lol, try again.

Give me a specific example of DC declining.
Yeah, because LHWs have always hit harder than HWs, right? And everyone talks about how stacked LHW is right now, right? Lol, go away troll, keep praying Jones loses every time he fights, he'll keep you busy for a while.

Just stop. I'm almost 32 and I can't say I differ much to what I was feeling and doing when I was 25. I'm basically in the same great physical condition and I'm working out regularly. So, what you wrote is BS.
I like Cormier's preparation for this fight. He looks to be aging very well and I assume we'll see the best Cormier ever this time.

Because people who don't train/work out at least in a regular basis usually don't see how different the body react to the aging process.
I do think that time affects performance and even more in a contact sport, but your point is solid. I'm 31 and I'm in a way better shape I was when I was 25, but hey, at 25 I was swimming in tequila and Jack Daniels.

1. No Coke

2. OSP performance
1. Can't really argue that one because I don't know what Jones is currently doing on his training/off time.

2. Has nothing to do with how a DC vs Jones fight will play out. You prepare for a short, stockier opponent, with a different set of skills, and 3 weeks before the fight that guy pulls out and another guy with a completely different skill set steps in. And we somehow forget that Jones STILL won the fight convincingly and broke OSP's arm in the process.

If DC wins, I fully expect a rubber match within a year of the second fight. If DC can win that one as well, I don't see anyone else beating him in the division any time soon. Both of these guys are head and shoulders above the rest of the division. Jones will likely move up to Heavyweight if he loses to DC twice.
I agree with the rubber match but I don't see Jones moving up to HW if he were to drop two straight to DC.

People think DC is going to win because they WANT him to win, or perhaps more accurately they want Jones to lose.

Jones won the first fight comfortably and without being pushed to his limit or having to "dig deep". DC can fight better that last time and he will still lose because Jones can simply turn it up a notch if he needs to, last time he didn't need to.

People talk about the adjustments DC is going to make... Riddle me this- what exactly is he going to adjust to change the fact that Jones is way taller than him with a huge reach advantage and he is much younger and in his prime and an overall better fighter with massive physical advantages?

So far I haven't heard much in the way of a rational explanation from anyone, including DC himself, as to how he actually wins. Even when asked directly about it he talked about what Jones did to him to cause trouble and not about what he could do to Jones.

People think because Jones has had somewhat competitive fights that he is going to lose and they seem be ignoring the clear pattern of Jones doing what he needs to do to win (and not taking unnecessary risks in a fight he is already winning).

fair enough....

here are two reasons I think DC wont win....

1) he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too emotionally involved in the whole thing, he is on the verge of tears in the little clip they filmed to promote this fight, the one where he says "Im ready to die for this" like what does that even mean....he isnt going to win the fight if hes dead....I get where he is trying to go with that...but it falls short and hes just visibly rattled by the first fight, the paperbelt everyone keeps saying he has and the realization that he never beat the champ to get it...infact when the chance was there...he fell short on that too

2) he had nothing for Jones in the first fight...he was very underwhelming ...his fight with Alex wasnt much better and IMO Alex lost that fight more than DC won it ((if that makes sense)), nothing we've seen from cormier since the first Jones fight suggests that a second fight is going to go any differently...I think Jones is a level above him, the only reason this fight has come about is because of Jones being suspended and DC holding the interm((may as well be)) belt....outside of that....who would really care to see this rematch based on how the first fight played out?

all this said, I rooting for DC to win, like I was the first time around....I just dont think he has it in him to beat Jones, I hope Im wrong

If ANYONE is showing signs of slowing down, it's Jones. When is the last time he's destroyed anyone the way he destroyed past prime Shogun or Machida in 2010 and 2011? People are living in the past.
Yeah, let's just ignore that DC looked worse in his last three fights than he ever had before. Losing fights, losing rounds, and repeatedly getting dropped, by smaller men than he was fighting before.

But yeah, he's ageless and clearly getting better :rolleyes:

Because people who don't train/work out at least in a regular basis usually don't see how different the body react to the aging process.
I do think that time affects performance and even more in a contact sport, but your point is solid. I'm 31 and I'm in a way better shape I was when I was 25, but hey, at 25 I was swimming in tequila and Jack Daniels.
One could also argue that with age comes wisdom and knowledge. The reason wrestlers have a longer career than strikers is that they are less reliant on reflexes, speed and power than strikers are. Those are the first things to go with age. I'm not saying they don't rely on those qualities at all, it's just that they can usually take the fight a different route or keep the opponent guessing which levels things out a bit. And as they age, they pick up many more tools along the way. This sport hasn't evolved so much to where we are seeing 2nd and 3rd generation MMA fighters where the age of 35-40+ years old is a guaranteed retirement age.

Yeah, let's just ignore that DC looked worse in his last three fights than he ever had before. Losing fights, losing rounds, and repeatedly getting dropped, by smaller men than he was fighting before.

But yeah, he's ageless and clearly getting better :rolleyes:
Losing fights? He has one loss idiot. And he won all those fights you mentioned in dominant fashion. Jones struggled against Gus a lot worse than DC did. And Jones as still yet to fight Rumble.

The main thing I've noticed is DC is sti fighting the exact same way. Clinching and throwing upper cuts in the clinch. The clinch is where Jones lives good luck winning there.

GrayPalatableAtlanticblackgoby.gif

mWsdSHT.gif

FlawlessShallowHammerheadbird.gif

DC's wrestling looked as sharp as usual, it was just up against a better caliber of MMA wrestler. Idk why someone would expect a boost from Cain in his camp.
Are you suggesting that training with Cain, won't help Cormier's wrestling at all?

The main thing I've noticed is DC is sti fighting the exact same way. Clinching and throwing upper cuts in the clinch. The clinch is where Jones lives good luck winning there.
DC was out working Jones in the clinch. It was on the OUTSIDE that Jones was picking DC apart. The clinch is EXACTLY where DC needs to keep this fight because he doesn't have the reach to deal with Jones and will eat body shots all night. Go back and watch the fight (or watch it for the first time I should say). DC was having his best success in the clinch with uppercuts.

The exact thing you're telling him to abandon is the precise thing he needs to stick to. Thankfully you're not a coach, lol.

Losing fights? He has one loss idiot. And he won all those fights you mentioned in dominant fashion. Jones struggled against Gus a lot worse than DC did. And Jones as still yet to fight Rumble.
Yeah, he lost his first fight ever, against Jones, then gets dropped for the first time ever against Rumble, then has a war where he almost gets KTFO against Gus.

All against smaller men than he was fighting before.

That's improvement to you? If he gets stopped for the first time next, will that be an improvement as well? Lol

I bet you're the same guy who excuses DC losing and getting dropped by LHWs because "they're faster than HWs", while at the same time saying Jones would struggle at HW because they're bigger, aren't you?

Yeah, he lost his first fight ever, against Jones, then gets dropped for the first time ever against Rumble, then has a war where he almost gets KTFO against Gus.

All against smaller menthan he was fighting before. That's improvement to you? If he gets stopped for the first time next, will that be an improvement as well? Lol

I bet you're the same guy who excuses DC losing and getting dropped by LHWs because "they're faster than HWs", while at the same time saying Jones would struggle at HW because they're bigger, aren't you?
Still posting stupid shit eh?

Didn't read.

Typical. And here I thought it was possible you could have an adult conversation. Enjoy your troll kid.
To be fair those two guys are two of the biggest at LHW. Rumble has unbelievable power and that shot from Gus would've put out most guys.

Typical. And here I thought it was possible you could have an adult conversation. Enjoy your troll kid.
Nah, not with people who have only double digit IQ and a handful of brain cells juggling around. I WILL however be happy to debate with people who can go back and forth without calling people "dumbass, moron, idiot" etc. I only went there when you did. The key to adult and mature debates is open mindedness, rationality and respect.

In my opening post I gave OPINIONS and followed it up with a reasonable analysis and even exhorted on the fact that I wasn't counting Jones out or speaking in absolutes. My OP left no legitimate reason to be flammed other than pissy little school boys like yourself getting mad because someone out there is going out on a limb, picking the slight underdog who happens to not be the guy they cock ride 24/7.

Back