TUF 25: Redemption, Ep. 7 Discussion

Eddie extremely upset about the picks seems equally upset that Hayder got picked over him which is crazy given Hayder's performance compared to his.

Btw Lane and Mehdi weren't medically cleared to be ready so those 2 were off the table

They should've picked Eddie.

I don't see that fight going well at all for Joe.

I'm surprised Cody wasn't pushing for Johnny Nunez since he does quite a bit of training at Team Alpha Male

Eddie fought like an idiot that doesn't know how to defend a rnc.
Seth looked like complete garbage.
Bangbro and Mehdi are medically suspended.

Although Joe Daddy put on an admirable performance I don't think he deserved the wildcard being the only fighter to lose on TJ's team while coincidentally being the worst.

Hayder vs Johnny would have been my selections.

I'm sure Dana put a lot of thought into the decision. He basically listened to TJ.

Eddie fought like an idiot that doesn't know how to defend a rnc.
Seth looked like complete garbage.
Bangbro and Mehdi are medically suspended.

Although Joe Daddy put on an admirable performance I don't think he deserved the wildcard being the only fighter to lose on TJ's team while coincidentally being the worst.

Hayder vs Johnny would have been my selections.

I'm sure Dana put a lot of thought into the decision. He basically listened to TJ.

As I said I'm surprised Cody wasn't pulling for Johnny simply because Johnny trains at Team Alpha Male a lot. That said he wouldn't have deserved the shot. He lost to Ryan in just 44 seconds during Faber-Conor season but got an undeserved wildcard slot and lost again, then lost for a 3rd time on TUF this season.

As I said I'm surprised Cody wasn't pulling for Johnny simply because Johnny trains at Team Alpha Male a lot. That said he wouldn't have deserved the shot. He lost to Ryan in just 44 seconds during Faber-Conor season but got an undeserved wildcard slot and lost again, then lost for a 3rd time on TUF this season.

So who would've you picked?

Also, I don't think it's fair to consider past seasons when making this decision. It is tuf redemption after all. The picks should be based solely on their performances during this season.

Last edited:
I think Dana favored Joe because he's from season 2, and it's a much more interesting story than the redemption of Johnny Nunez, who has been given 3 opportunities on TUF and lost them all.

Joe performed relatively well, too. Nunez gave up, imo.

So who would've you picked?

If you go by the criteria that you should be picking the ones who you think can actually do stuff in the UFC I think Hayder and Seth should have been the picks. Nunez definitely isn't UFC level, I personally like Joe Daddy but I don't think he can compete with either the WWs or LWs of the UFC today, and while Eddie won his season he looked very subpar in the UFC and lost every single fight except for the TUF finale. And of course Mehdi and Lane weren't medically cleared so they couldn't do it.

Hayder made it to the finale and was then cut following his defeat in his very next fight. Usually guys who make it to the finale get more than 1 fight to prove themselves and the guy who beat him (Vicente Luque) seems to be a quiet darkhorse though his nice streak just got ended by Leon Edwards who himself is a great prospect. I think if Hayder can work on his ground game and get some good TDD he could prove himself well in the UFC.

Seth was very hot and cold in the UFC. He got some great wins over Neil Magny and Matt Brown but ran into a wall and compiled a few losses. I think if he can pull himself together and get some good training he could comeback to the UFC and get some more wins, though he isn't the kind of guy who would ever be champion. I don't know what happened to him against Gilbert Smith but I know he is capable of fighting much better than he did in that one.

So while I do like Joe Daddy I think picking him strictly because he had an entertaining fight and didn't get finished was the wrong move especially since Dana specifically said they were looking for guys who could hang in the current UFC. So Seth and Hayder would be my picks.

Last edited:
Would be cool if a few of these guys were given fights on the first Dana White Tuesday Night Contender. Have them face legit prospects and winner gets into the UFC.

If you go by the criteria that you should be picking the ones who you think can actually do stuff in the UFC I think Hayder and Seth should have been the picks. Nunez definitely isn't UFC level, I personally like Joe Daddy but I don't think he can compete with either the WWs or LWs of the UFC today, and while Eddie won his season he looked very subpar in the UFC and lost every single fight except for the TUF finale. And of course Mehdi and Lane weren't medically cleared so they couldn't do it.

Hayder made it to the finale and was then cut following his defeat in his very next fight. Usually guys who make it to the finale get more than 1 fight to prove themselves and the guy who beat him (Vicente Luque) seems to be a quiet darkhorse though his nice streak just got ended by Leon Edwards who himself is a great prospect. I think if Hayder can work on his ground game and get some good TDD he could prove himself well in the UFC.

Seth was very hot and cold in the UFC. He got some great wins over Neil Magny and Matt Brown but ran into a wall and compiled a few losses. I think if he can pull himself together and get some good training he could comeback to the UFC and get some more wins, though he isn't the kind of guy who would ever be champion. I don't know what happened to him against Gilbert Smith but I know he is capable of fighting much better than he did in that one.

So while I do like Joe Daddy I think picking him strictly because he had an entertaining fight and didn't get finished was the wrong move especially since Dana specifically said they were looking for guys who could hang in the current UFC. So Seth and Hayder would be my picks.

It seems we're comparing a rock to a hard place. I don't think either Johnny or Seth could make an impact in the UFC today. That makes sense since we're discussing which eliminated fighter deserves to move on where they'll more than likely lose yet again. That doesn't matter though because someone has to move on.

If you are picking based on the criteria you stated then your decision should reflect their most recent performance. Seth looked abysmal and I'm having a hard time believing he could do much better. Nunez put up a tough fight against the season favorite in James. That's enough to warrant the wildcard imo.

Johnny is also a great friend with Cody's fiancée and her twin sister, so they kinda know each other from outside gyms (like Vegas pool parties and that stuff) But as you said, he's garbage, not UFC material. I wouldn't pull for him for another shot.

It seems we're comparing a rock to a hard place. I don't think either Johnny or Seth could make an impact in the UFC today. That makes sense since we're discussing which eliminated fighter deserves to move on where they'll more than likely lose yet again. That doesn't matter though because someone has to move on.

If you are picking based on the criteria you stated then your decision should reflect their most recent performance. Seth looked abysmal and I'm having a hard time believing he could do much better. Nunez put up a tough fight against the season favorite in James. That's enough to warrant the wildcard imo.

Did he really though? He landed a couple good punches but couldn't even make it out of round 1. In 3 TUF fights he has been submitted in round 1 twice (one in less than a minute) and was handily defeated in the decision loss. If the criteria is who can have some success in the UFC, which is what Dana stated he was looking for, I just don't see how Nunez can be considered. The guy can't even get a single win on TUF in 3 tries and can barely even survive round 1.

Did he really though? He landed a couple good punches but couldn't even make it out of round 1. In 3 TUF fights he has been submitted in round 1 twice (one in less than a minute) and was handily defeated in the decision loss. If the criteria is who can have some success in the UFC, which is what Dana stated he was looking for, I just don't see how Nunez can be considered. The guy can't even get a single win on TUF in 3 tries and can barely even survive round 1.

His three loses are against studs though. Ryan Hall and David Teymur are looking like they're gonna have lengthy UFC careers and Krause is also currently on the roster. I think you're being too hard on him but I see your point.

^and to add to it, compared to the other fighters on the show I think Nunez is a bit small for Welterweight

Lol at Gordon, he fought like ass

yeah Gordon has no right to talk about "putting it all on the line" .. didn't he get RNC'd because he was going for his opponents feet? SMH

I'm surprised Cody wasn't pushing for Johnny Nunez since he does quite a bit of training at Team Alpha Male

I recall Cody citing Nunez "had a good fight with Krause" or something to that effect during the selection bit with Dana White, but really the stronger case could be made for Hayder/Gordon or Seth ... and of the 3 I imagine Hayder performed the best thus the choice

yeah Joe Daddy getting it is a big of a shocker ... it def plays up to the underdog narrative TJ sold to Dana dunno how he'll do against Hayder. Think he can pull it off?

**if Hayder gets by Joe, I imagine TJ will push for Edwards vs Hayder for the quarterfinal match up

Edwards barely pulls out a win against Stevenson (i though Stevenson won the first) and all of Garbrandts team acts like it wasn't even close

i also liked that Garbrandts team was completely selfish and didn't congratulate Hayder at all and Hayder even ended up standing next to TJ at the door

Eddie extremely upset about the picks seems equally upset that Hayder got picked over him which is crazy given Hayder's performance compared to his.

Btw Lane and Mehdi weren't medically cleared to be ready so those 2 were off the table
Was completely baffled by Eddies crying. Wtf was he trying to say? Did he really think he deserved it more than Hayder, or was he just against Joe getting picked. I was a bit confused there.

Can't say I agree with Joe Daddy coming back. I'm not sure how the Wildcard works. Do the have to pick someone from both teams?

I would have gone for Hayder/Seth. Both went the distance and have a better long term fighting career.

If Joe wins this show by fluke, what kind of UFC career do they think he's going to have? He looked slow and old af. No chance of a title or run or even "fun" fights imo.

These guys all pretty much look like garbage. Nijem, Krause and Taylor are the only ones who are UFC material. None of these other guys can cut it. I was rooting hard for Stevenson but he's going to get his head uppercut clean off against a good striker.

Back