Trump's Budget Includes Deepest Cuts To Government In A Generation

The Trump administration on Tuesday will propose the deepest cuts to government programs in a generation, delivering the opening salvo in a new round of budget battles in Washington.

The proposal, titled “A New Foundation for American Greatness” and set for release at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, sets out a 10-year plan to balance the budget.

It relies on a mix of cuts to anti-poverty programs, optimistic economic forecasting and deep cuts to nondefense discretionary funding to meet its targets. It would not touch Social Security and Medicare, which President Trump promised to leave alone during his campaign.

The budget would dramatically shift spending to the Pentagon from domestic programs.
In 2018, it would shift $54 billion from nondefense discretionary spending to defense by enacting major cuts to the State Department, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Agriculture and other agencies.

It would eliminate or phase out funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and theNational Endowment for the Arts.

In subsequent years, that shift between defense and nondefense discretionary spending would grow to the point where defense spending would make up two-thirds of discretionary domestic spending, a huge shift from the 50-50 split of today.

By 2027, the Pentagon would continue to benefit from increased annual spending, while nondefense discretionary spending would be $260 billion less than what would be spent without Trump’s budget.

A sizable portion of the cuts to domestic spending would be made to Medicaid.

The budget assumes full passage of the House-passed version of the American Health Care Act (AHCA) to repeal and replace ObamaCare, which cuts $839 billion from Medicaid and pulls funding from Planned Parenthood.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/334662-trump-seeks-historic-cuts-to-government

I hear a chainsaw! I hope this includes a massive downsizing of federal employees as well

Why do people come to the us for superior Healthcare then? It seems the free market has helped us have the best health care ever.

Why have murkans in the border states use counterfeit cards to get free health care in Ontario for years if it's the greatest evah?

Why have murkans in the border states use counterfeit cards to get free health care in Ontario for years if it's the greatest evah?
Because it's more fun to make you all pay for it and watch you make weird canuck faces when Trudeau just shrugs.

GOAT promise keeper

dont lock her up
trillion dollar infrastructure spending
@TheComebackKid will pay for the wall
china isnt manipulating currency
we'll stay in NATO
no 30 day isis gone plan
we wont "deal" with north korea

those were his promises right? yea hes done a good job. two corinthians.

as for the OP, the deficit is going to be insane. hopefully hes right and this spurs growth lol. i dont think that he will be though.

dont lock her up
trillion dollar infrastructure spending
@TheComebackKid will pay for the wall
china isnt manipulating currency
we'll stay in NATO
no 30 day isis gone plan
we wont "deal" with north korea

those were his promises right? yea hes done a good job. two corinthians.

as for the OP, the deficit is going to be insane. hopefully hes right and this spurs growth lol. i dont think that he will be though.
The tax plan is DOA. Sure, the GOP loves the sentiment of the bill but if they hurt the poor in R districts they'll lose seats in 2018.

And even if it passed or something like it did, there is zero chance the growth and spending cuts would cover the tax decreases. It would add trillions to the deficit over 10 years.

The tax plan is DOA. Sure, the GOP loves the sentiment of the bill but if they hurt the poor in R districts they'll lose seats in 2018.

And even if it passed or something like it did, there is zero chance the growth and spending cuts would cover the tax decreases. It would add trillions to the deficit over 10 years.

whats weird is i would consider myself a fiscal/govt moderate. i like cuts to many programs. i sympathize with the people who say there are problems with some entitlements. but....its almost as if trump and the like, are throwing things out and cutting them based on an ideological basis, more than a practicality basis. that i think is stupid.

then they give MORE money to the military and veterans? reminds one of the special warrior class in ancient rome that developed, and soaked up about 50% of roman tax revenue....shortly before they went bye bye. so wasting money on anything is bad.....except the military. they can buy shit that they dont need alllllll day, and have employees they dont need alllllll day. no problem.

whats weird is i would consider myself a fiscal/govt moderate. i like cuts to many programs. i sympathize with the people who say there are problems with some entitlements. but....its almost as if trump and the like, are throwing things out and cutting them based on an ideological basis, more than a practicality basis. that i think is stupid.

then they give MORE money to the military and veterans? reminds one of the special warrior class in ancient rome that developed, and soaked up about 50% of roman tax revenue....shortly before they went bye bye. so wasting money on anything is bad.....except the military. they can buy shit that they dont need alllllll day, and have employees they dont need alllllll day. no problem.
Yeah, I'd love to hear fact based reasoning on why certain programs should get modified or axed all together. Even the most staunch liberals should be open to the idea the some programs aren't working or there are better options. But you correctly pointed out this isn't happening and it's based on ideology. And the ideology is bad and unpopular (and in many cases would hurt people), so the right is forced to lie and muddy the waters.

"We want to give the highest earners a tax cut so we are going to slash benefits that help the poor" just isn't a winning message.

Yeah, I'd love to hear fact based reasoning on why certain programs should get modified or axed all together. Even the most staunch liberals should be open to the idea the some programs aren't working or there are better options. But you correctly pointed out this isn't happening and it's based on ideology. And the ideology is bad and unpopular (and in many cases would hurt people), so the right is forced to lie and muddy the waters.

"We want to give the highest earners a tax cut so we are going to slash benefits that help the poor" just isn't a winning message.

America first.....if you're rich or a business owner.

It's not even that hard to do. The OMB identified billions in duplicate and wasteful programs, back in 2015 I think. All you have to do is get their list and cut/restructure those programs.

But as JR noted, these are ideological cuts not practical ones.

Back