Trump tries to borrow Van Gogh painting from Guggenheim; they offer him gold toilet called "America"

For better or worse, people didn't want a traditional president. Trump just says publicly what a lot of people think.

Well, then don't complain when he gets shit on for saying things that a lot more people don't want their president to say.

you treat the office with respect, not necessarily the person if you dont like him. it was childish and stupid on the part of the museum. you see the difference? no i guess you dont, because you are exactly the type of person i was talking about. maybe when you grow up you will learn that someday

Ah, you're talking about treating the office with the respect it had always been due until we got a president who, himself, didn't treat it with respect. And, in fact, many of the people you are complaining about are actually people who want him to act more presidential because they, just like you, are unhappy with the general lack of respect for the office.

Weren't there arguments recently about Trump calling countries "shithouses" instead of "shitshows" and that was actually not offensive at all because it was just a statement about their practices? Why is this much different?

Yeah it's pretty silly that when Trump says something disrespectful, people should just shut up because who cares about hurt feelings? But then a museum hurts Trumps feelings and suddenly being disrespectful matters.

Trump has been incredibly rude and insulting to many people and politicians, before and during his presidency. In fact are large part of his support came from his lack of abiding by PC culture and "telling it like it is". Are you saying he can say anything he wants because of his position but no one else is allowed to say what they feel in return?
no, if you read what i said, you respect the position and not the man. i am not going to argue whether or not he acts like an idiot at times, because he does. even his supporters will admit that. however, you should still respect the office. and please note, i am not saying they should have even given him the painting. they should have just politely declined at thats it.

you are trying to force arguments on me that i didnt make. i am not even a trump supporter. so i dont care if h "tells it like it is." two wrongs dont make a right. so if they see him as an idiot, they shouldnt respond in kind

Ah, you're talking about treating the office with the respect it had always been due until we got a president who, himself, didn't treat it with respect. And, in fact, many of the people you are complaining about are actually people who want him to act more presidential because they, just like you, are unhappy with the general lack of respect for the office.
true! bill clinton getting blow jobs in the oval office is totally treating the office with respect!

Well, I did say for better or worse. My hope was that this election would shake up the way politics in this country works but it really doesn't seem like it has. Its just made it worse.
I was hoping for something similar, it was the only hope I had in his presidency really. But that's why I supported Bernie, he was an outsider who was pushing for change, but actually understands how politics work. He may not be right about everything he wanted, but he was at least looking to change the current system in positive ways, and I believe he had the skills to do that beyond the current administration's approach of clogging the system and working to repeal everything of the last presidency.

I respect your position and your honesty by the way. Most people defending Trump in any way are just digging their heels in and sticking their fingers in their ears. This is such a polarizing administration, the last thing our country needs is to be so divided.
no, if you read what i said, you respect the position and not the man. i am not going to argue whether or not he acts like an idiot at times, because he does. even his supporters will admit that. however, you should still respect the office. and please note, i am not saying they should have even given him the painting. they should have just politely declined at thats it.

you are trying to force arguments on me that i didnt make. i am not even a trump supporter. so i dont care if h "tells it like it is." two wrongs dont make a right. so if they see him as an idiot, they shouldnt respond in kind
I did read what you said. I'm not asking for an argument about his behavior, we know how he's behaved. I'm not forcing any arguments that you didn't make, I just said that his lack of tact was a big draw for his supporters, and then asked you to clarify your position. Why should we not have the right to criticize the president? Isn't that one of the best parts of America? We know he's quick to be rude, tactless, and outright untruthful, but why are we as citizens being held to a higher standard than our president?

Last edited:
I was hoping for something similar, it was the only hope I had in his presidency really. But that's why I supported Bernie, he was an outsider who was pushing for change, but actually understands how politics work. He may not be right about everything he wanted, but he was at least looking to change the current system in positive ways, and I believe he had the skills to do that beyond the current administration's approach of clogging the system and working to repeal everything of the last presidency.

I respect your position and your honesty by the way. Most people defending Trump in any way are just digging their heels in and sticking their fingers in their ears. This is such a polarizing administration, the last thing our country needs is to be so divided.

I did read what you said. I'm not asking for an argument about his behavior, we know how he's behaved. I'm not forcing any arguments that you didn't make, I just said that his lack of tact was a big draw for his supporters, and then asked you to clarify your position. Why should we not have the right to criticize the president? Isn't that one of the best parts of America? We know he's quick to be rude, tactless, and outright untruthful, but why are we as citizens being held to a higher standard than our president?
I agree with much of what Trump ran on but you can go back pre election and see that I never felt he was really the guy for the job. He was the lesser of two evils for me.

Plot twist:
Oprah accepts it. #2020

Fify

GLBEiS.gif

true! bill clinton getting blow jobs in the oval office is totally treating the office with respect!

"But blowjobs" is a new one. Clinton had the good sense to act like the office deserved better: he took great pains to conduct himself in presidential ways.

Now consider that Trump puts absolutely zero effort into looking presidential. And the way he's treated reflects that.

Last edited:
"But blowjobs" is a new one. Clinton had the good sense to act like the office deserved better: he took great pains to conduct himself in presidential ways.

Note consider that Trump puts absolutely zero effort into looking presidential. And the way he's treated reflects that.

I don't think defending Bill is the way to go. Bill did disrespect the office. And his disrespect eventually led to a comeuppance (the part people always miss when trying to compare Trump to Clinton, that Clinton got beaten over the head the last few years of his Presidency, too).

What Bill Clinton did is totally irrelevant to this issue between the current President and the museum. Unless Clinton was apart of the decision making process, he's irrelevant to the conversation and that was just an attempt to deflect.

I don't think defending Bill is the way to go. Bill did disrespect the office. And his disrespect eventually led to a comeuppance.

What Bill Clinton did is totally irrelevant to this issue between the current President and the museum. Unless Clinton is was apart of the decision making process, he's irrelevant to the conversation.

I'm not defending him. I'm saying, like most awful people in politics, he maintained the veneer of respect for their office. And that goes a long way to explaining why everyone treated him better than the way they're treating Trump.

If Clinton acted like Trump he'd have been treated like Trump.

Pres. Trump actually believes that his Renoir is real.

It's not.

Well-played Guggenheim.

If Trump had any balls he'd take it and put it on display at the entrance to the White House with a plaque that said "Kindly donated by the Guggenheim".

Or better yet, install it in a the visitor bathroom.

Back