Trump to economic advisers on rejoining TPP: “Go get it done.”

They didn't vote to fuck with coastal cities; they voted because of the damage free trade agreements inflicted on their communities.

That was a fast 180. You just said that condescending liberals are why Trump beat Hillary, now it's trade agreements?

I think you do know.

Just say what you want to say. I don't play guessing games, are you a blue collar rust belt guy that is mad at professional NYers?

These types of deals can not be carried out by the Legislative branch. This is a fact that we know.

So in order for these types of deals to be done Congress gives it's demands to the Executive, who does the negotiations and present a finalized deal to the Legislature and gives them 5-9 months to review it and vote on it.

There is nothing objectionable about that unless you are against multilateral trade deals in general.

You can't get the TPP without the TPA.

And again in the current US political climate you have Legislators that are for Free Trade but against any kind of Government Assistance so it is prudent to ensure some type of TAA when you grant TPA to avoid them voting in the TPP without the TAA
The TPA was created in 1974 under Nixon, its not like its been existence since the dawn of time.
TPA is a power granted to the Executive by the Legislative.
They're saying we will only vote up or down on this upcoming bill; no negotiations.
It doesn't prevent the bill from coming to the floor for a vote. Voting no on TPA only makes it more cumbersome.

And my argument isn't to get rid of TPA, or TAA.
My argument, which I don't get the pushback on, is that it would be make more sense to have an agreement available to view before voting on insurance and forgoing your ability to negotiate the terms of the agreement.

You would not choose an insurance policy or forfeit your right to choose details on a car you knew nothing about.

Do you think liberals are suddenly less "out of touch" now, and that's why they're likely to pick up a bunch of seats in Nov. and have been killing it in special elections? Maybe "X won/lost because they did/didn't do what I want" isn't the best way to analyze elections?
I said Democrats, not liberals. Big difference.

Yeah, yes.

But we both know that you're lying, don't we?

Its pretty clear from this thread that I'm not lying and that you are just being your typical cunt self.

That was a fast 180. You just said that condescending liberals are why Trump beat Hillary, now it's trade agreements?
How is that a 180? lol, its like there can't be layers or multiple reasons for voting for/against a candidate. Weird. Nice try tho.
Just say what you want to say. I don't play guessing games, are you a blue collar rust belt guy that is mad at professional NYers?
Keep pretending.

How is that a 180? lol, its like there can't be layers or multiple reasons for voting for/against a candidate. Weird. Nice try tho.

Keep pretending.
Dude, you said that condescending Democrats are the reason Trump won then you said it wasn't the reason now it's multiple reasons (which obviously is true in any election). Try to keep your story straight!

And I really don't know what you're talking about. Either say it or drop it.

The TPA was created in 1974 under Nixon, its not like its been existence since the dawn of time.
TPA is a power granted to the Executive by the Legislative.
They're saying we will only vote up or down on this upcoming bill; no negotiations.
It doesn't prevent the bill from coming to the floor for a vote. Voting no on TPA only makes it more cumbersome.

And my argument isn't to get rid of TPA, or TAA.
My argument, which I don't get the pushback on, is that it would be make more sense to have an agreement available to view before voting on insurance and forgoing your ability to negotiate the terms of the agreement.

You would not choose an insurance policy or forfeit your right to choose details on a car you knew nothing about.

Were multilateral trade agreements really a thing prior to 1974?

I think this strengthens my point. There is nothing unusual or eye popping about TPA, it is the way things have been done for over 4 decades in this issue because it's effective and efficient.

Our Legislature can barely negotiate with itself but some how we think they can negotiate simultaneously with Vietnam, Japan, Malaysia, Australia etc......

I don't understand you're claim that you want to have the TPP before the TPA? The TPA produces the TPP. It seems very evident that you are against the TPA.

You're basically saying you want to see the Trade Agreement before you give them the authority to negotiate it?

I agree that it would make more sense to calculate the amount of TAA after the TPP is completed. And honestly didn't look into the TAA legislation so I'm not sure how robust it was.

But I think it would be irresponsible for Obama to start down this road without providing some assurance for assistance before going into negotiations. Politically it is much more difficult to provide it afterwards.

yeah, and Canada has lost some, too, yeah? and the TPP made changes to the ISDS which made them more dangerous.

uxyA34o.gif

Link plz.

Also what specifically makes them more dangerous?

I said Democrats, not liberals. Big difference.

Its pretty clear from this thread that I'm not lying and that you are just being your typical cunt self.

Yes, that's what I expect from you. Someone points out that your comments are not accurate (which we've agreed on already) and that makes them a "cunt." Stay classy, Anung.

Yes, that's what I expect from you. Someone points out that your comments are not accurate (which we've agreed on already) and that makes them a "cunt." Stay classy, Anung.
more like somebody lies about my posts for personal grudges over and over is a cunt. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
Stay dishonorable Hack.

more like somebody lies about my posts for personal grudges over and over is a cunt. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
Stay dishonorable Hack.

What lie did I tell about your posts?

Your lie is very clear:

You said people who didn't write the agreement wrote the agreement, and you know that that's not true.

What are you accusing me of lying about?

Were multilateral trade agreements really a thing prior to 1974?

I think this strengthens my point. There is nothing unusual or eye popping about TPA, it is the way things have been done for over 4 decades in this issue because it's effective and efficient.

Multilateral is a bit misleading. Before TPP and CAFTA the biggest agreement involved 3 countries (I could be forgetting an agreement or 2).

And another thing about TPA that people don't realize; if you get TPA approval, that extends well beyond the initial treaty vote.
The Executive can then renegotiate after a bill has been passed and the results of that renegotiation only come up to a vote. Again no debate on the issue.

For example; GW was given TPA (forget which agreement), but it expired before Obama took office, so Obama didn't have TPA until it passed in 2015. Now Trump has it. This will give him the power to renegotiate NAFTA.

Our Legislature can barely negotiate with itself but some how we think they can negotiate simultaneously with Vietnam, Japan, Malaysia, Australia etc......
its not so much that I would expect Congress to negotiate a trade agreement; but its irresponsible to simply forfeit that right in the dark.
And if they're that incompetent, then why force them to vote in the blind about something involving 43% of the global economy? Makes no sense.

I don't understand you're claim that you want to have the TPP before the TPA? The TPA produces the TPP. It seems very evident that you are against the TPA.

You're basically saying you want to see the Trade Agreement before you give them the authority to negotiate it?
I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying regarding TAA, TPA, and TPP.

I'm not saying the shouldn't be part of the process. I'm saying its kind of telling that you have to approve the insurance policy and forfeit your rights to negotiate the agreement BEFORE the full text if freely available to study. I'm not saying pass the TPP first, I'm saying make it available to dissect and debate before foregoing the right to haggle about it and before calculating an appropriate TAA.

Once the ins and outs of the deal are understood, then vote in order: TAA, TPA, TPP.
I agree that it would make more sense to calculate the amount of TAA after the TPP is completed. And honestly didn't look into the TAA legislation so I'm not sure how robust it was.

I don't remember the exact details, but usually TAA and TPA went together. In 2015, TPA passed, but TAA didn't (at first). So at that point, if TAA wasn't brought back up for a vote, TPP could have passed without TAA. The reason it didn't pass was the Dems didn't think it was robust enough. No idea what they based that on or if it was considered suffiicient.

But I think it would be irresponsible for Obama to start down this road without providing some assurance for assistance before going into negotiations. Politically it is much more difficult to provide it afterwards.

The full text of the TPP was made available 5 months after TAA and TPA were voted on. It was pretty much done. The negotiations were over.
Why put the cart before the horse? These trade bills are complex. Its not as simple as just reading one and taking it at face value. Much of the framework, terminology, and definitions are based on accepted terms of previous agreements. And as you say, these Congress-folk aint too bright. But they've been elected to represent us. They should be given every opportunity to make an educated decision.

The link fails to explain any difference between NAFTA courts and these ones.
To be clear; the TPP would have made the ISDS more dangerous. And its in the article.
tumblr_p5s0qzdWm01vkzuj9o1_500.gif

@HomerThompson

For interest groups that sought to influence Washington’s thinking on the massive trade package set to bind together 40 percent of the world’s economy, Monday’s announcement of an agreement on the terms of the Trans-Pacific Partnership was a long time coming.

Over eight years of negotiations, 487 clients paid lobbyists to meet with or contact lawmakers and administration officials to discuss the trade pact, a Center for Responsive Politics analysis of lobbying data shows. “Trans-Pacific Partnership” or “TPP” was mentioned 4,875 times in lobbying filings since 2008, when the U.S. entered the negotiations. (Not included are third-quarter 2015 lobbying reports, which are due to Congress on Oct. 20.)

The format of lobbying reports makes it impossible to tell exactly how much money companies threw behind efforts to influence those lawmakers and officials on TPP. All told, companies and groups paid lobbyists $2.6 billionwhileTPP was on their agenda, though that figure includes the companies’ outlays to lobby on all issues listed along with TPP on each report.

Clients who reported lobbying on TPP accounted for nearly thirty percent of all lobby spending. And a lot of that work was concentrated among Washington’s power players: 56 of the top 100 spenders since 2008 lobbied on TPP at least once during that period. Those 56 accounted for 18 percent of all lobbying spending since 2008. In contrast, just 24 percent of the top 1,000 lobbying spenders mentioned TPP on their reports.

The lobbying ramped up with each year the negotiations remained in place. Just two organizations mentioned the trade pact in their 2008 filings — PepsiCo and Neptune Orient Lines — but that number exploded to 1,317 in 2014. As of July, clients had mentioned TPP in their reports 763 times in 2015.

But, as the final countdown for TPP’s implementation begins, some of those big spenders are less than happy with the final terms. With trade promotion authority in hand, the Obama administration could bring home the deal for Congress; now, the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body will get an up-or-down vote on the deal — lawmakers can’t change the terms. Yet some of TPP’s biggest critics since yesterday, like PhRMA, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, Sierra Club and the AFL-CIO, issued statements opposing some of the deal’s key terms on Monday.

After extensively lobbying to support TPP, PhRMA recoiled yesterday on learning that negotiating countries had agreed to a shortened period during which their member companies’ data on biologic drugs may be kept secret. All told, PhRMA lobbying reports that mentioned TPP, along with other issues, accounted for $110 million of PhRMA’s total lobbying spending since 2009, when it began its efforts to weigh in on the trade deal.

PhRMA, along with the AFL-CIO — which will likely oppose TPP and says it encourages lawmakers to carefully review the terms — were among the earliest organizations to try to influence the outcome of the talks. Sierra Club, opposed to the “polluter-friendly” deal, joined them in 2010; every lobbying report filed by the environmental group since then has mentioned TPP.

It’s not over yet: Congress will pick apart the terms of the deal over the coming months, which it must approve or nix in its entirety.
https://www.opensecrets.org/news/20...y-487-organizations-to-influence-tpp-outcome/

Multilateral is a bit misleading. Before TPP and CAFTA the biggest agreement involved 3 countries (I could be forgetting an agreement or 2).

And another thing about TPA that people don't realize; if you get TPA approval, that extends well beyond the initial treaty vote.
The Executive can then renegotiate after a bill has been passed and the results of that renegotiation only come up to a vote. Again no debate on the issue.

For example; GW was given TPA (forget which agreement), but it expired before Obama took office, so Obama didn't have TPA until it passed in 2015. Now Trump has it. This will give him the power to renegotiate NAFTA.

its not so much that I would expect Congress to negotiate a trade agreement; but its irresponsible to simply forfeit that right in the dark.
And if they're that incompetent, then why force them to vote in the blind about something involving 43% of the global economy? Makes no sense.

But this is a Multilateral Agreement and there was likely going to be a similar one with African countries if this was successful.

And the Executive isn't going in blind. The Legislature gives the President an outline of what they want to accomplish with the deal. They grant that power to the President because they are incapable of doing it themselves.

Negotiating objectives[edit]
According to the Congressional Research Service, Congress categorizes trade negotiating objectives in three ways: overall objectives, principal objectives, and other priorities. The broader goals encapsulate the overall direction trade negotiations take, such as enhancing the United States' and other countries' economies. Principal objectives are detailed goals that Congress expects to be integrated into trade agreements, such as "reducing barriers and distortions to trade (e.g., goods, services, agriculture); protecting foreign investment and intellectual property rights; encouraging transparency; establishing fair regulatory practices; combating corruption; ensuring that countries enforce their environmental and labor laws; providing for an effective dispute settlement process; and protecting the U.S. right to enforce its trade remedy laws". Consulting Congress is also an important objective.[30]

Principal objectives include:

• Market access: These negotiating objectives seek to reduce or eliminate barriers that limit market access for U.S. products. "It also calls for the use of sectoral tariff and non-tariff barrier elimination agreements to achieve greater market access."
  • Services: Services objectives "require that U.S. negotiator strive to reduce or eliminate barriers to trade in services, including regulations that deny nondiscriminatory treatment to U.S. services and inhibit the right of establishment (through foreign investment) to U.S. service providers."
  • Agriculture: There are three negotiating objectives regarding agriculture. One lays out in greater detail what U.S. negotiators should achieve in negotiating robust trade rules on sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures. The second calls for trade negotiators to ensure transparency in how tariff-rate quotas are administered that may impede market access opportunities. The third seeks to eliminate and prevent the improper use of a country’s system to protect or recognize geographical indications (GI). These are trademark-like terms used to protect the quality and reputation of distinctive agricultural products, wines and spirits produced in a particular region of a country. This new objective is intended to counter in large part the European Union’s efforts to include GI protection in its bilateral trade agreements for the names of its products that U.S. and other country exporters argue are generic in nature or commonly used across borders, such as parma ham or Parmesan cheese.”
  • Investment/Investor rights: “The overall negotiating objectives on foreign investment are designed “to reduce or eliminate artificial or trade distorting barriers to foreign investment, while ensuring that foreign investors in the United States are not accorded greater substantive rights with respect to investment protections than domestic investors in the United States, and to secure for investors important rights comparable to those that would be available under the United States legal principles and practices."[31]
And again they have ample time to read and analyze the bill and weigh it's merits.

Congress is involved, they set an agenda and let the Executive hammer out the details and vote on it.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying regarding TAA, TPA, and TPP.

I'm not saying the shouldn't be part of the process. I'm saying its kind of telling that you have to approve the insurance policy and forfeit your rights to negotiate the agreement BEFORE the full text if freely available to study. I'm not saying pass the TPP first, I'm saying make it available to dissect and debate before foregoing the right to haggle about it and before calculating an appropriate TAA.

Once the ins and outs of the deal are understood, then vote in order: TAA, TPA, TPP.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

We have to start with the point that you need the TPA to produce the TPP. There is no other way to produce it.

Therefore we need to approve the TPA first (which includes the Agenda set by Congress).

Now we agree that you can't fully plan TAA without knowing a final TPP but they know what to expect. So you issue a TAA with a TPA to insure that there is some version of TAA in place in case the vote to approve the TPP.

And again Congress knows what agenda they want pushed. They know or should know what industries could be effected

I don't remember the exact details, but usually TAA and TPA went together. In 2015, TPA passed, but TAA didn't (at first). So at that point, if TAA wasn't brought back up for a vote, TPP could have passed without TAA. The reason it didn't pass was the Dems didn't think it was robust enough. No idea what they based that on or if it was considered suffiicient.

The full text of the TPP was made available 5 months after TAA and TPA were voted on. It was pretty much done. The negotiations were over.
Why put the cart before the horse? These trade bills are complex. Its not as simple as just reading one and taking it at face value. Much of the framework, terminology, and definitions are based on accepted terms of previous agreements. And as you say, these Congress-folk aint too bright. But they've been elected to represent us. They should be given every opportunity to make an educated decision.

And I'm not sure what you oppose here.

After years of high level negotiations the President was given TPA and was able to produce the TPP in 5 months. I think that is a good case for TPA if anything.

Now imagine if 11 countries legislatures had the final TPP and all were able to amend the Agreement?

It would never get done because you can't negotiate that way, it's impossible. Every aspect of this going through various committees in various countries.

So again if you are against TPA you are against even trying to attempt this kind of deal which puts the US in a precarious position because other countries are all about them.

The TPP started without the US and it might still be completed without the US. China is pursuing it's own version and they are more active in developing economic ties with Africa

If you want argue against free trade and it's benefits that's a fine argument. I've seen guys like Krugman debate the amount of benefit provided (although I think his motivation is more political in the sense that believes Democrats can get bigger concessions from Republican in return for the Agreements).

But when you argue against Fast Track Trade Authority you're arguing for a world where these types of agreements are not even possible to make instead of on the merits of the deal.

@HomerThompson

But, as the final countdown for TPP’s implementation begins, some of those big spenders are less than happy with the final terms. With trade promotion authority in hand, the Obama administration could bring home the deal for Congress; now, the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body will get an up-or-down vote on the deal — lawmakers can’t change the terms. Yet some of TPP’s biggest critics since yesterday, like PhRMA, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, Sierra Club and the AFL-CIO, issued statements opposing some of the deal’s key terms on Monday.

After extensively lobbying to support TPP, PhRMA recoiled yesterday on learning that negotiating countries had agreed to a shortened period during which their member companies’ data on biologic drugs may be kept secret. All told, PhRMA lobbying reports that mentioned TPP, along with other issues, accounted for $110 million of PhRMA’s total lobbying spending since 2009, when it began its efforts to weigh in on the trade deal.

Shouldn't this be good news in your eyes since one of the things you seemed most worried about was patent overreach?

An industry lobbied for patents and turned on the deal because the TPP language on patents was much shorter than they had hoped for?

Back