Trump is asking Congress to approve 20% tax on all imports from Mexico to pay for The Wall

Avocados are so plentiful in Hawaii I often get them for free. But damn if the Tecate isn't a great deal for the price.

th

I wouldnt be opposed to taxes if the spending was cleaner.

And of course it could never be because the economic calculations and incentive structures aren't there for it to be "cleaner".

hello and well met Banchan,

the way the US auto supply chain works, a part may be bought and sold, and cross the Mexico/US border as many as eight times before the car is actually assembled in Mexico and shipped to the US.

essentially, this will kill the auto supply chain as it currently exists in the US.

prices will rise a little, purchasing power in the US will dry up a bit, and of course, jobs go down. as a cherry on the top, US made goods that are manufactured via production sharing with Mexico suddenly become more expensive and much less competitive in the global market (Japan and Korea will love the US for this).

sounds like a recipe for success.

let's get to it!

- IGIT
Im aware and thats not true. Japanese and Korean automotive will also be big losers with a 20 percent tariff. Theyve invested huge capital in Mexican manufacturing plants. As much or more than American auto.

However like I said before Vietnam. They need to go there anyway to be globally competitive. If Mexico will not do anything to contain their population then lets just kill the bird now rather than let it continue running around with no head.

Picture Corona beer.

If their price rises to $12 a 6-pack instead of $11.99, no one will buy it. They'll just buy American craft beers.

Wouldn't Corona have to start producing in the U.S then and hire American workers?

Guess i'll make the sacrifice.

I've tried all the tomatoes around me and yes i have farmers markets, but the roma tomatoes from Mexico, from Whole Foods, taste the best.

What i mean is that Americans end up paying the tax not Mexicans, the point is making Mexico pay so that Trump can stroke his fragile ego.
They'll pay in the form of lower sales due to increased consumer price.

But it's a double-edged sword because it will take years for American agriculture to pick up the slack and/or to form new contracts with different countries who can provide the same product in terms of quality and quantity.

They'll pay in the form of lower sales due to increased consumer price.

But it's a double-edged sword because it will take years for American agriculture to pick up the slack and/or to form new contracts with different countries who can provide the same product in terms of quality and quantity.

How is lower sales paying?

Im aware and thats not true. Japanese and Korean automotive will also be big losers with a 20 percent tariff. Theyve invested huge capital in Mexican manufacturing plants. As much or more than American auto.

However like I said before Vietnam. They need to go there anyway to be globally competitive. If Mexico will not do anything to contain their population then lets just kill the bird now rather than let it continue running around with no head.

1.- Nowhere near automakers like Ford and the Japanese and Koreans will simply ship their home made cars to the US while use their Mexican capacity for other markets.

2.- What does contain the population even means?

@Rod1 was right! You are getting the shitty ones! I would be angry if I were you as well.

Told ya, she is mad because she gets whatever cant be sold in the American markets, and Canadians gladly buy them.

Republicans have majority. It'll go right through.

Sure they have the votes, but they will pay for this. This is a short-con and Trump needed a long-con.

Lots of senators and congressmen weighing options now on so many things. Trump is like a drunk in a convenience store with a few dollars in his pocket. He's gonna lay down money and piss off a few people along the way.

Republicans have majority. It'll go right through.
You might wanna check GOP reactions on the hill before you make this statement. The House Freedom Caucus leader, among others, said no.

Which is why Chump started walking it back as soon as he said it.

Back