Trump imposes Tariffs on Steel and aluminum Imports

Steel and aluminum are commodities. That means there is zero difference in quality between either metal produced in the US or anywhere else in the world. The "buy American" nonsense doesn't apply here.
What? This move is pinned on exactly that being the case.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/business/trump-tariffs.html
Mr. Trump’s authority to impose such sweeping tariffs stems from a Commerce Department investigation that concluded last month that imported metal threatened national security by degrading the American industrial base. The administration has said it wants to combat cheap metals flooding into the United States, particularly from China, but a broad set of tariffs would fall most heavily on allies, especially Canada, which supplies steel and aluminum to American companies as well as the military.

I do disagree with the blanket tariffs though. Canada is an excellent producer. And while that's likely the reason this move inevitably fails I'm sure all these new-found tariff doomsdayers won't acknowledge it.

Hey retard,

I said the word "generally", correct?

Also what does Canadian imported steel have to do with the quality of Canadian steel?

heya mr. bigglesworth!

yes, but the OP is about steel and aluminum - and since you responded to the thread, i thought you might be referring to steel and aluminum imports.

you then went on to say that outsourced materials are "very low quality" compared to what is produced here in the states.

so, again i ask, how is Canadian steel "very low quality" compared to US Steel? or were you making an observation unrelated to the OP?

- IGIT

hiya VIva,

that's a fair point.

hmmmf.

look, if that's the reason for curtailing the inevitable costs to the environment that comes with shipping, i think it's a good one.

here's the thing, though; if US Steel is to have a captive market, then i'd want some kind of parameters set on executive compensation - i'd want to ensure that the profits that would ensue in the wake of this monopoly flowed to middle class workers, NOT to corner office management.

- IGIT

Worker co-ops my friend.

Aren't you actually discouraging American manufacturing if you prevent companies from buying affordable raw materials to transform?
SIuCYJP.png

heya mr. bigglesworth!

yes, but the OP is about steel and aluminum - and since you responded to the thread, i thought you might be referring to steel and aluminum imports.

you then went on to say that outsourced materials are "very low quality" compared to what is produced here in the states.

so, again i ask, how is Canadian steel "very low quality" compared to US Steel? or were you making an observation unrelated to the OP?

- IGIT
In general.....I wouldn't classify countries like Germany, Japan, or Canada along the same lines as China, India, or Brazil when it comes to their exports, in general.

Worker co-ops my friend.

ahoy Viva,

i almost said "nationalized", but then edited it out.

i don't think either your idea or mine has much of a chance of happening, but its a nice thought.

- IGIT

So you think there would be no difference if instead of a tariff Trump had declared that all Steel must pay 25% in taxes?

That isn't what the Germans do. They weight their VAT tax based on cost of labor, or environmental protections. Atleast that is my understanding of it.

Worker co-ops my friend.

This is too vague.

Traditional worker co-ops largely failed due to tragedy of commons. To pose an alternative, some level of democratization and specialization will have to be effectuated to replace traditional employment hierarchy.

In general.....I wouldn't classify countries like Germany, Japan, or Canada along the same lines as China, India, or Brazil when it comes to their exports, in general.

ahoy mr. bigglesworth,

okay. so your comment has nothing to do the tariffs on steel and aluminum.

gotcha.

- IGIT

What if we just tariff poo hole steel making countries like China, and India with people just pooing everywhere, destroying the environment, and treat their workers like poo? What be point of having better practices, and standards when you do business with people who have no shame?

Did someone say private jerk off thread?

cat-peeking-window.gif

And the backlash has begun:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43251320

"Canada and the EU said they would bring forward their own countermeasures to the steep new tariffs. Mexico, China and Brazil have also said they are weighing up retaliatory steps.....The news sent shares in Asia down on Friday, with Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 losing more than 2% by mid-morning.

Shares in Japan's car-making giant Toyota were down more than 2% and Nippon Steel stocks down more than 4%.

Toyota said the US decision would "adversely impact automakers, the automotive supplier community and consumers".

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said the tariffs would put thousands of European jobs at risk. "We will not sit idly while our industry is hit with unfair measures," he said. "The EU will react firmly and commensurately to defend our interests."

In Canada, the largest supplier of steel and aluminium to the US, trade minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said any tariffs would be "unacceptable".

Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland said Canada would take "responsive measures" if restrictions were imposed but did not give details.

In other reaction:

Brazil, also a large steel exporter to the US, threatened "multilateral or bilateral" action to protect its interests
  • Australia's trade minister Steven Ciobo said the imposition of such tariffs would distort trade "and ultimately... lead to a loss of jobs"
  • Germany's steel industry federation, WV Stahl, said the US measures violated the rules of the World Trade Organization and would have a major impact on Germany's steel market

This is apparently going to have serious repercussions.

That isn't what the Germans do. They weight their VAT tax based on cost of labor, or environmental protections. Atleast that is my understanding of it.

Thats exactly how VAT works, and yes every single chain has to pay VAT so you dont get crap like its done in America to avoid sales taxes.

VAT is effectively a tax on everything, be it local or foreign.

So German steel still pays 20% VAT just like imports.

And the backlash has begun:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43251320

"Canada and the EU said they would bring forward their own countermeasures to the steep new tariffs. Mexico, China and Brazil have also said they are weighing up retaliatory steps.....The news sent shares in Asia down on Friday, with Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 losing more than 2% by mid-morning.

Shares in Japan's car-making giant Toyota were down more than 2% and Nippon Steel stocks down more than 4%.

Toyota said the US decision would "adversely impact automakers, the automotive supplier community and consumers".

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said the tariffs would put thousands of European jobs at risk. "We will not sit idly while our industry is hit with unfair measures," he said. "The EU will react firmly and commensurately to defend our interests."

In Canada, the largest supplier of steel and aluminium to the US, trade minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said any tariffs would be "unacceptable".

Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland said Canada would take "responsive measures" if restrictions were imposed but did not give details.

In other reaction:

Brazil, also a large steel exporter to the US, threatened "multilateral or bilateral" action to protect its interests
  • Australia's trade minister Steven Ciobo said the imposition of such tariffs would distort trade "and ultimately... lead to a loss of jobs"
  • Germany's steel industry federation, WV Stahl, said the US measures violated the rules of the World Trade Organization and would have a major impact on Germany's steel market

This is apparently going to have serious repercussions.

hiya computer fogie,

US domestic manufacturers will do great though, right? i mean, if you make US solar panels, now you're in business! - since China dominates the market.

same for aluminum, which is mostly produced in China. now US producers will make lots and lots of money.

i figure prices will go up, and US exports are going to start getting hurt...but US has a trade deficit with many nations, won't this hurt everyone else more than it does us?

- IGIT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back