Trump imposes Tariffs on Steel and aluminum Imports

And yet, the way the Germans have used their VAT tax, makes it no different then a tariff.

Please explain how.

And it's awesome how you're shifting your argument from China to Germany?

Do we have a crazy trade imbalance with Geemany?

Like, this isn't my area of expertise, but I feel like you can just kind of infer the difference from the very named "value added tax," without doing much looking into it.

If Western countries have been doing it for a decade it probably isn't a trade barrier or the industry is so small it doesn't matter.

Otherwise there would be a grievance with the WTO or a trade war.....

If Western countries have been doing it for a decade it probably isn't a trade barrier or the industry is so small it doesn't matter.

Otherwise there would be a grievance with the WTO or a trade war.....

While I don't disagree that it functions similarly to a tariff imposed at a progressive rate, it certainly presents a far lesser barrier to trade and movement of capital in general.

this is the second shot over the bow.
first one was telling the WTO to fuck off a few months back.
i happen to be near this world. you have no idea the shock-waves it created in the world of high level politics.
EVERYBODY who is anybody thinks this is a declaration of war against the chinese.

hi ho Fox by the Sea,

why would this be? i am curious.

the US doesn't really get steel from China. if anyone, this is a shot across the bow of Canada.

EDIT - nvm, i just heard on Bloomberg that Mr. Trump is hitting China on solar panels. i wonder how this will work out?

- IGIT

Last edited:
Not fully opposed to the idea. Outsourced materials(and products) are generally very low quality compared to US made. They shouldn't even be an option to purchase unless filling demand imo

hi mr.bigglesworth,

i think Canada imports more steel to the US than anyone else, though Brazil is close.

Canadian steel is low quality?

- IGIT

It is absolutely insane to me, that tariffs are protectionism, but a VAT tax isn't.

Btw, Obama slammed the shit out China on steel, aluminum, and solar panels, with tariffs for unfair trade practices.

How is VAT protectionism when all products have to pay it?

And yet, the way the Germans have used their VAT tax, makes it no different then a tariff.

So you think there would be no difference if instead of a tariff Trump had declared that all Steel must pay 25% in taxes?

BTW for all you people who think climate change is the number 1 threat in the world, how do you support the wasted energy used to ship materials around the world to be assembled by cheap labor, to then be sent back through shipping to the places where the raw material originated?

Globalised trade, is climate change best friend.

How much of a % is labor factoring into the costs?

It says that Canada is the main exporter of steel, wouldnt it be logical for Mexico to be it considering the wages?

BTW for all you people who think climate change is the number 1 threat in the world, how do you support the wasted energy used to ship materials around the world to be assembled by cheap labor, to then be sent back through shipping to the places where the raw material originated?

Globalised trade, is climate change best friend.

hiya VIva,

that's a fair point.

hmmmf.

look, if that's the reason for curtailing the inevitable costs to the environment that comes with shipping, i think it's a good one.

here's the thing, though; if US Steel is to have a captive market, then i'd want some kind of parameters set on executive compensation - i'd want to ensure that the profits that would ensue in the wake of this monopoly flowed to middle class workers, NOT to corner office management.

- IGIT

Aren't you actually discouraging American manufacturing if you prevent companies from buying affordable raw materials to transform?

Maybe he's trying to throw his base a bone after going after guns yesterday.

The one article I linked suggested that Porter was in charge of trying to find middle ground between the tariff people and actual conservatives. Now he's gone

This is nothing more than enriching his American steel/aluminum executive buddies.

There is no question of that. They are the only ones winning.

hi mr.bigglesworth,

i think Canada imports more steel to the US than anyone else, though Brazil is close.

Canadian steel is low quality?

- IGIT
Hey retard,

I said the word "generally", correct?

Also what does Canadian imported steel have to do with the quality of Canadian steel?

Canada is the main supplier of steel to America. I bet this is 4D chess and President Trump is putting the screws into the NAFTA re-negotiations while also letting Europe and China know who the boss is. By the time he's done with NAFTA, cuck Trudeau and cuck Mexico leader will both happily pay for the wall.

Back