Trump’s Proposal to End Public Service Loan Forgiveness

So people were taking out loans and we're supposed to think they're getting hosed for having to pay back the loans they took out?

Why the hell would public servants be immune to paying back loans? Sounds like another way for people in gov't to give more freebies to their friends.

i can see both sides of this, but in a way i think these are almost predatory loans.

most 18 year olds have never had to pay any debt. theyve never been paid a salary. how the F are you just going to give them 30k?

it also may benefit the whole economy to not have these people living in debt peonage. its slowed the entire housing market, for example.

i can see both sides of this, but in a way i think these are almost predatory loans.

most 18 year olds have never had to pay any debt. theyve never been paid a salary. how the F are you just going to give them 30k?

it also may benefit the whole economy to not have these people living in debt peonage. its slowed the entire housing market, for example.
Prospective college students are also indoctrinated into thinking they need to get a college degree to obtain success and depending on the field that is true (you cannot be a lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc. with the proper education). So even if they are aware of the costs of college and they know they have to push off home ownership, marriage, kids, etc., many will still borrow more than they should because they feel they need to.

Your point about student debt is spot on, it's a drag on the economy.

So the government makes a contract with students that in order to get a really high federal loan, with a condition that they can pay it off easier by working in the public sector. They do this to attract those that otherwise wouldn't take such a loan. Then the government backs out of their end.

Guess which party supports millionaires fucking over the working class?
This is the point and why are so many people in the thread missing it? I get it, your gut reaction is to hate anything the government does or the idea that someone could get aid. But for fuck sakes these people take government jobs with lower salaries because of benefits like this. When you start pulling this shit no one with competence will work for the government.

Prospective college students are also indoctrinated into thinking they need to get a college degree to obtain success and depending on the field that is true (you cannot be a lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc. with the proper education). So even if they are aware of the costs of college and they know they have to push off home ownership, marriage, kids, etc., many will still borrow more than they should because they feel they need to.

Your point about student debt is spot on, it's a drag on the economy.

Yea i feel like i grew up during the peak of this sentiment (early 2000's). not going to college was nearly unthinkable for most it seemed. but really, with everyone feeling that way, its a prime opportunity to learn a trade. you'll be paid well, have no loans, and usually lower stress jobs.

Yea i feel like i grew up during the peak of this sentiment (early 2000's). not going to college was nearly unthinkable for most it seemed. but really, with everyone feeling that way, its a prime opportunity to learn a trade. you'll be paid well, have no loans, and usually lower stress jobs.
I'm 36 and always got good grades, so college was the only option even with the fact that my parents were blue collar folks.

Of course, and college isn't for everyone. But there are a limited number of trade jobs as well. Totally anecdotal example, but a close friend of mine wanted to join the local 3 and was only able to get in through his fathers connections and still had to wait a year. The good paying jobs are fucking tough to get and this is NYC too.

There are plans designed to keep payments low. Why would I pay more than legally required? The goal is to get the maximum amount forgiven.

Bro, keep your stories straight. You already had all your degrees, make high 6 figs and so does your smoking hot Asian bride...you wouldn't have to be a teacher when you're supposed to be a Dr

Bro, keep your stories straight. You already had all your degrees, make high 6 figs and so does your smoking hot Asian bride...you wouldn't have to be a teacher when you're supposed to be a Dr
Be a teacher? What are you talking about?

Be a teacher? What are you talking about?

Shirley, lubed schlong MD knows what's up, he has a decade of medical experience on top of those previous six figure jobs. Keep it together man

Recipient of multiple bailouts.
Donald Trump wins the hypocrisy belt. He'll be a lasting champ

He's neck-and-neck with Paul Ryan, who went to college because his mother saved and invested his social security survivor benefits after his father died of alcoholism and has spent his entire adult life in some form of public service, yet his sole focus as a politician has been to destroy every form of public assistance that currently exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back