True or false: WMMA today is about at the same relative skill level as MMMA was during chuck’s era

Drew Peasack

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Theres no doubt that there is a lack of skill in wmma. Alot of 2 dimentional fighters. What era would you say wmma is in relative to the history of men’s MMA? Id say there in a similar position as men’s mma during Chuck Liddell’s prime

Dunno...

It’s improved, and improving. But, so are the men. It’s all still so young. Why rate the shit. Just enjoy it.

giphy.gif

Considering very few women can strike like Chuck or Anderson or Wanderlei or Vigor or Igor and literally none can wrestle like any of the old greats, eh.. No.

Theres no doubt that there is a lack of skill in wmma. Alot of 2 dimentional fighters. What era would you say wmma is in relative to the history of men’s MMA? Id say there in a similar position as men’s mma during Chuck Liddell’s prime

No. The number of males who were in wrestling, boxing, and muy thai all greatly outnumber the amount of women who do them now. The women who do them now likely picked it up as opposed to having been a lifelong sport.

The more numbers you have in the sports foundations the higher the skill level. In the old days talent was often too stubborn to get more well-rounded but you didnt have people like PVZ maybe getting a title shot because she was a dancer in h.s.

Screenshot_20171212-093005.png

Last edited:
I think that's fair. The only reason it looks that much different is just because of the female athleticism compared to men's.

Especially the 115 lb girls, plenty of legitimate skill in that division. Yeah dudes like wanderlei and rampage were decapitating and slamming people through the ring, but skill for skills pertained to MMA I think the girls are about there.

I could make a case for the elite level of WMMA right now being better than Chuck / Tito era. Off hand though i would say it's a little behind but that's still ok and enjoyable to watch and follow imo.

I know I am in the minority, but I do think the whole "MMA has evolved so much from 10 years ago" argument is slightly overplayed. Yes, as time goes on, sports improve because of training and strategy etc. There are plenty of fighters who are successful now who really don't look any different from 10+ years ago. I think Woodley today is worse than GSP was. I don't think Whittaker/Rockhold/Weidman are any better than Anderson. I don't think Stipe or Cormier are lights years ahead of Brock or Rampage/Chuck.

Sure, I would say on average the fighters are better today, but in a sport like MMA that could end up not meaning anything. Being more well rounded does not always = victory. If we are talking the early and mid 90's, then sure, the game was completely different. But the mid 00's until now I don't see a massive change. I just see guys training more disciplines opposed to mastering 1 or 2.

Not even close. Take a look a fight like BigNog/Barnett in 2006 which is IMO one of the highest displays of skill in a mma fight, that fight is a higher level fight than what were seeing now. On the UFCs side there are so many fights, one to mention from the early days, Penn/Pulver which was early 2000s

False.l

The WNBA is not at the level of the NBA in the 70s.....

Or 60s or 50s.

Yay. Women can do everything a man can do and even better. Yay! Yeah!!!

Man a lot of sherdoggers have no clue what they are watching to make ts comparison

As if fighting and mixing styles was a new concept in “chuck or Tito’s era”.

I think ts is trolling and the sherdoggys saying true are just well idk. Wow!

That would put it around 2003, but I'd argue it's more like 1997 with a bunch of Mo Smiths, Colemans, throw in a Vitor and a whole lot of Brian Johnstons.

I´d say you´re pretty redeculous.

No. The number of males who were in wrestling, boxing, and muy thai all greatly outnumber the amount of women who do them now. The women who do them now likely picked it up as opposed to having been a lifelong sport.

The more numbers you have in the sports foundations the higher the skill level. In the old days talent was often too stubborn to get more well-rounded but you didnt have people like PVZ maybe getting a title shot because she was a dancer in h.s.

This is a great point to make when it comes to female athletes in general. Female sports really only hit the main stream in the 90s/2000 before that women being in sport's was still sort of a taboo thing, certainly in the 70s and 80s and you didn't see this explosion of female athletes at a young age until the stars of the late 80s and 90s inspired a generation of women to be what they are now. The amount of girls in highschool sports from 89-99 went from like 300 k female athletes to like 5 million nation wide. Say what you want about ronda rousey but no question she is amongst one of these modern day women who broke the taboo of female contact sports. First it was laila with boxing , then it was ronda with mma, perhaps the stigma of full contact hockey for women dissipates in time.

Had to a write a paper for my women's lit class in highschool lol

Women are so much more talented than the men.

Killer instincts. Raw power. Unparalleled desire to win. Ungodly athleticism.

5b53023a0e6eda295a1a74dd0ce9e92c--dark-helmet-role-models.jpg

Most of the time the women don't even fight. I can count on one hand the ones who can strike decently and have power...

Back