True or false: WMMA today is about at the same relative skill level as MMMA was during chuck’s era

If I was younger I’d drop acid and watch wmmma and just be rolling. EspeciallY Roxeanne.

I have no idea how that chick is wins fights.

She moves like an 8 foot tall man with the athleticism of tairy schivo.

Shogun fights with half of his arsenal taken away.
Maia is just wrong about people cross training.
I can’t watch the vid. But he’s wrong.
Do you think wanderlei Silva only was training must Thai?

Maia hasn’t fought through those time periods as shogun did.

What about Maurice Smith the kickboxer against Mark Coleman in an early ufc.

Mo had a pretty good defensive guard and employed that strategy against mark. Or Margo Ruas fighting style.
That isn’t a new concept.

Of course gameplanning. And that’s a huge advantage for today. You had little to no footage of your opponent and might not know who your fighting exactly. So that question he asked is just silly.

As I said I can’t watch the video and I think something was lost in translation. Will check it out later.

Every sport you play you constantly improve because your practicing or training.
So you will always learn new tricks.
"Maia is just wrong", so funny, so so funny that a professional mma fighter with one the the longest career in the UFC is wrong and a genius on Sherdog that never trained a day in his life is right.

Bjj is ahead of chucks and Tito’s time? I could name dozens and dozens of legit black belts in mma and that way before chuck and Tito’s time.
No disrespect but you have no idea what you’re talking about
Another one that makes a bold claim and has no idea what he is watching.

What a horrible fucking thread.

The early and mid 2000s was an amazing era. The fighters then were more complete than the men today, let alone fucking WMMA.

Bjj is ahead of chucks and Tito’s time? I could name dozens and dozens of legit black belts in mma and that way before chuck and Tito’s time.
No disrespect but you have no idea what you’re talking about

I know exactly what you're saying, I think the biggest argument to make here is whether those styles were represented in the UFC's roster during the Chuck golden years, not on a world scale

For example I love sambo; it's what got me into watching fights and learning about different styles. I've lost count of the number of insanely skilled european sambo tournaments I've attended in some no-name town's school gymnasium around the Chuck era featuring fighters old enough and experienced enough to compete on a world stage

Did that mean Chuck had a lot of Sambo fighters to worry about back then? Sadly not.

UFC rosters have always been inclusive of internationals but I find a lot of the best Sambo guys rarely take their talent on the road, preferring to set up shop in countries where they can play 'hometown hero' with the occasional Abu Dhabi appearance (thinking no one will remember a loss there...)

By that same logic, I can understand frustrations with the current UFC women's rosters, but only if people aknowledge that women's kickboxing, bjj, judo (and more) are absolutely world class outside of one popularized fight org based in the States. People just don't see WMMA represented if those fighters don't take the risk of road trips across the entire planet to potentially lose at top tier exhibition fights in front of the one Women's Fight Circuit that XOSteveXO69 on sherdog tunes into. Many skilled internationals stay right where they live. They don't want to fuck it up by losing in spectacular fashion on stateside television, fighters of any gender

It’s less still and they have way less power to hardly any stoppages.

Here are 21 of the top fighters of that era,off the top of my head:

Fedor Emelianenko
Minotauro Nogueira
Mirko Crocop
Andre Arlovski
Mauricio Shogun Rua
Rampage Jackson
Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Randy Couture
Kazushi Sakuraba
Dan Henderson
Anderson Silva
Vitor Belfort
Rich Franklin
Georges St Pierre
Matt Hughes
BJ Penn
Takanori Gomi
Nick Diaz
Uriah Faber
KID Yamamoto

Can you list 21...or 5 female fighters better than those?

In short:

No lol

Last edited:
No. The number of males who were in wrestling, boxing, and muy thai all greatly outnumber the amount of women who do them now. The women who do them now likely picked it up as opposed to having been a lifelong sport.

I think this is why there is such a huge gap between the top women and the others. It's pretty telling when Roxanne Modafferi, who has been fighting since the early 2000s, is still able to hold her own with these girls who are coming out when the sport is already more mainstream. Same goes for Coenen, who just retired recently, LaRosa, and a handful of other women who were fighting in the early/mid 2000s were able to be competitive against younger more recent fighters. Even Kelly Kobold was able to come out of retirement and give some girl the business recently. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gina came out of retirement and did work against these newer girls either.

Most of the girls nowadays are still pretty new to the sport, while the males are training MMA at very early ages.

If I had to compare it to a specific era, I would probably compare it to those first UFC events where there were fighters who could be competitive against one another, but then there was also guys like Marco Ruas, Royce, Shamrock, Severn, etc. who were clearly ahead of the game and would wipe the floor with the rest of the competition.

Lol fuck no.

Shamrock bros were more skilled than any WMMA fighter today.

There is a reason why people don't watch women's hockey, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. Even if they are huge fans of the sport.

Not even close.

I would entertain the notion the most men competing at UFC 1 boasted a higher skill, not just athletic, level than the current landscape of WMMA. Sorry not sorry.

Demian Maia has evolved tremendously..

He has takedowns now, for example.

Actually, all BJJ guys have takedowns now. That's another evolution of MMA from 2007 to 2017.

Some others:

- Technique against the cage for fighters on bottom; used to be death sentence, now it's the best place in the cage to get up from

- Mount never does anything anymore; used to be death sentence

- jabs and straights; every fighter has these now

- footwork and movement -- this is HUGE at the top now. Much more so than at the average UFC guys, actually. No one in 2007 could do anything like TJ can do.

I could go on and on
I love maia but c'mon. His takedown attempts are atrocious. He just occasionally gets one.

Theres no doubt that there is a lack of skill in wmma. Alot of 2 dimentional fighters. What era would you say wmma is in relative to the history of men’s MMA? Id say there in a similar position as men’s mma during Chuck Liddell’s prime

Nah, it’s much worse than that.
Especially when you also take into account the fighters in Pride.

People keep repeating this idea that if WMMA just keeps going, keeps developing, gets more popular and gets a deeper talent pool, then it can catch up with the men. When it can't. Obviously WMMA can improve but it will never be anywhere the same as men's MMA, not even at a schoolboy or amateur level, because women are limited by their biology.

I know perfectly that you don't understand grappling by your comments, you clearly don't train, i am not arrogant saying that.
So, please, before making bold claims like "bjj hasn't changed compared to 10 years ago" go train a couple of years and get a basic understanding of what are you watching or you are the one arrogant and full of shit.

You will not see me going into an argument about astrophysics or something i have no clue about, that's what i am saying, but you have perfectly understood my point, the problem is you are so full of yourself you can't even admit you are wrong.

Think what you like. The perpetually ignorant usually do ;)

If you think modest changes equal evolution, there's really nothing I can say to help you.

Bear in mind, you've still mentioned nothing that points to the evolution of the sport.

maybe in chucks case, in that weight class. around that time gsp, fedor, and even anderson were pretty well rounded.

Back