True or False: Fighters who don't run/have banged up knees will always have cardio issues

Swimming isn't the same. Every boxer on the planet since the beginning of time has done road work. There's a reason for that.

Running is portable, and swimming with good enough form to get a proper workout is harder.

What about jump rope? Uses more muscle groups than running, is easier on the body as it is lower impact and is much more fatiguing than running. Has been proven that 10 minutes of jump rope = 30 minutes of (steady state) jogging as far as improving stamina. Also improved timing, reactions, etc.

Shogun's a great case because his cardio used to be the best in the sport

Maybe, still think swimming gives better cardio.

I can run all day, a few laps of the pool and i'm coughing up blood - i assume thats related anyway.

If youre serious about the coughing up blood you should probably go see a doctor.. Numerous life threatening illnesses have that as a symptom

If youre serious about the coughing up blood you should probably go see a doctor.. Numerous life threatening illnesses have that as a symptom
Thanks for looking out for me bro, It was just that one time and i'd spent most of the previous day snorting coke - so its hard to pinpoint the cause.

Cruz is a prominent advocate of running/using the treadmill extensively in every camp. I don't think I have seen an embedded that doesn't consist of him on the treadmill

UFC-199-Embedded-Ep-2.jpg

This was meant moreso for fighters who refuse to run because of the impact of the joints, especially when they have banged up knees. Conor being the biggest and easiest name off the top of my head, but I am sure there are many

Treadmills don't have you running the same as on normal ground. You don't propel yourself forward with your back tendons/ ligaments as much. I wonder if that contributes to Cruz' knee injuries. All the other tendons worn down from treadmilling and really developed too, the others weaker but not worn out.. snap city

Nah, if you are calm you will never gas, simple as that. the rest is money making scam called sports science, defrauding us out of billions annually. There is a reason why Butterbean has had nearly 100 professional boxing matches and never ever gassed once at 400 Ibs range. Just be calm and learn to pace yourself. Conor is not calm when someone fights back and he poops himself and gets exhausted. Conor only gasses when guys actually fight back!, he is a quitter and not calm

Conor threw more strikes against Holloway than Diaz 1, and never gassed, thats because Holloway never fought back. As soon as someone fights back he just wilts and gasses. He's a soft boy

rather than getting caught up in swimming vs. running. vs. whatever, wouldn't it be better to focus on training in a manner that closely approximates the requirements of the sport?

i.e. the workout details should be more important that whether you are running, biking, swimming, etc.

MMA is 3-5 rounds, 5 minutes each, with a break in between. this tends to require shorter bursts of elevated or peak effort and explosive movements, rather than sustained non-max effort over an extended period of time.

swimming 40 laps, or jogging for an hour, at a consistent pace, is not going to replicate what the MMA athlete requires. Will it help their cardio anyway? of course. is it optimal for MMA? probably not.

I would think that interval training, with a varied pace that includes periods of max effort, would be far more relevant to the MMA fighter, regardless of whether they are running, swimming, biking, etc., no?
Our body is made for running. Running works out the bodies' systems the way they were designed. It gives you cardio like other cardios like swimming can not.

You should do daily recovery walks, sprints and jump rope for fighter cardio. That's hitting the high intensity cardio systems fighting requires and getting in your low intensity work too. Jogging or "running" is an awkward in between exercise that isn't intense enough for high intensity cardio but too intense for low intensity.

Also transfers the weight to your joints (whereas when you are walking the muscles are doing most of the work, and sprinting you are doing none of the volume a "jogger" is.

Hill or road work at altitude is the way to go. Guys like Conor who have cardio issues should honestly think about doing a camp up at altitude. Get your body acclimated to operating with less oxygen. You will notice significant cardio gains when going back to sea level. Endurance athletes do camps at altitude all the time.

Shogun used to have cardio for days, enter a few exploded knees and it kind of took the wind out of his sails, so to speak.

i dunno boxers are kinda dumb imo.

look at lomo ppl are now talking about dancing and doing stupid mental exercises. like any of that shit ever made a difference.

Hill or road work at altitude is the way to go. Guys like Conor who have cardio issues should honestly think about doing a camp up at altitude. Get your body acclimated to operating with less oxygen. You will notice significant cardio gains when going back to sea level. Endurance athletes do camps at altitude all the time.
And yet sleep high, train low is a better idea and endurance athletes are figuring this out.

The benefit of altitude is not the training you do, it's the acclimatizing.

rumor has it cain and dc share the same knee. and they both have great cardio

And yet sleep high, train low is a better idea and endurance athletes are figuring this out.

The benefit of altitude is not the training you do, it's the acclimatizing.

Hmmm, I've not studied endurance training much at all. But I've read the opposite, that ideally you train high, then sleep low. I think it was deemed because you get better recovery sleeping at a lower altitude, especially if that's what you're use to.

I would imagine Running cardio endurance translates across to MMA better than Swimming or Cycling since it more closely matches the actual activity.

Back