True or False: Fighters who don't run/have banged up knees will always have cardio issues

The obvious example of this seems to be Shogun, the younger marathon running fighter arguably had the best cardio ever at LHW and above, when his knee's went so did the cardio.

Absolute broscience, also HIIT/interval training targets an entire different energy system than running long distances at low intensity
Both of the energy systems are used in mma bro, that’s why you gotta train both
66A84570-F6BE-4223-B57F-7C5FE96170BC.jpeg

could you expand upon your point that running gives cardio that other activities do not? Is there some evidence for that? I am honestly asking.

I am not denying that humans are built for running...but it does not necessarily follow that running is the best way to build cardio for MMA.

You're moving your entire bodyweight. Bikes, swimming, etc. you don't do that.

It may be more tiring, but it's not harder on the body as it's zero impact.

I thought we were talking Cardio. It seems a lot of people are confused by the meanings of words and the use of grammar.

Swimming is exceptional cardio-pulminary (that's heart and lungs) if your form is decent. It requires breathing control and has a built-in way to tax your lungs be it sprints or withholding breaths.

Most people who have never had a swim coach suck at swimming.

Running is portable, as stated in the thread it has other benefits that are not related to cardio. Aside from people's inefficiencies swimming, it is a pain to find a good pool.

Swimming is better cardio, but most people suck and you need a good pool.

look at lomo ppl are now talking about dancing and doing stupid mental exercises. like any of that shit ever made a difference.

It can make a difference. My neighbour is the golfer Ernie Els and a sports psychologist completely turned his career around. At the top level the tiniest things can mean the world.

It can make a difference. My neighbour is the golfer Ernie Els and a sports psychologist completely turned his career around. At the top level the tiniest things can mean the world.

just like touch butt. i think its an outlet to use when not fighting more than anything else. ppl go way too much into it and come up with dumb reasoning.

I thought we were talking Cardio. It seems a lot of people are confused by the meanings of words and the use of grammar.

Swimming is exceptional cardio-pulminary (that's heart and lungs) if your form is decent. It requires breathing control and has a built-in way to tax your lungs be it sprints or withholding breaths.

Most people who have never had a swim coach suck at swimming.

Running is portable, as stated in the thread it has other benefits that are not related to cardio. Aside from people's inefficiencies swimming, it is a pain to find a good pool.

Swimming is better cardio, but most people suck and you need a good pool.

It's not better cardio for boxing/mma. You've obviously never sparred continuous rounds or competed, otherwise you wouldn't be so confused about this.

You aren't supporting your bodyweight when you swim.

I don't understand why treadmill would be worse than roadwork though...
Because you’re hopping in place as opposed to propelling yourself forward. There is also more cushioning and no wind resistance.
I can run for miles on a treadmill... normal running is quite a it harder.

TJ does do sprints and much running from what he said on the podcast with Rogan.

I get annoyed with swimming. Having to stop and turn around every 15 seconds or whatever is a PITA.

running + jogging.... have to mix it up and your recovery pace is jogging at 7 mph...should do it for 3 miles

thats 22-26 mins...

It's not better cardio for boxing/mma. You've obviously never sparred continuous rounds or competed, otherwise you wouldn't be so confused about this.

Or you obviously can't swim very well...

Having had knee problems most if not all of my life, it definitely takes away hard cardio, though I've read swimming can help but imo nothing beats a good walk/run carrying your own body weight.

"never" and "always" are dangerous words of course, but by and large i believe what TS says is true.

fighters should run. they should swim and bike too (running + swimming + biking > running), but swimming alone won't do it, just like bicycling alone won't.

latest studies even show that running on a treadmill is not as good as running on the road or trail. they recommend using an elevation of 2% if on a treadmill.
Who is this “they” you speak of?

But why would swimming not be as good as running for fighting cardio?

serious question.
Because nothing trains the legs better than running. The legs are the foundation. Once you lose a pep in your step, once your legs get tired, your whole system will shut down.

while people claim running causes knee injuries it is more often improper type of shoes for the persons foot type. they have prob 30 styles of running shoes now. small differences in design and body type can make a huge difference.

^ This ^
Running doesn’t hurt your knees, running improperly or with the wrong type of shoe does. Using a low profile, zero drop shoe with proper form (landing on ball of foot and not heel) will not cause joint problems. Running in inclined/platformed and highly cushioned shoes will as these make you land on your heel and destroy your joints.

swimming is probably just as good a cardiovascular work out.

but when you run you are holding your body upright and fighting gravity much more. this strengthens muscles and bones versus the buoyancy of water. bones are strengthened by stress. while people claim running causes knee injuries it is more often improper type of shoes for the persons foot type. they have prob 30 styles of running shoes now. small differences in design and body type can make a huge difference.

swimming is a great workout but fighters fight standing up on their feet for the most part. so running is more effective at MMA cardio.

that said sparring is also completely different and people who can run forever can gas quickly sparring. sparring however is more dangerous than running by a long shot.
Is cycling a good alternative to sprints for those with bad knees.

Back