True or False: Fighters who don't run/have banged up knees will always have cardio issues

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SpedDaddyV, Dec 13, 2017.

1. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

Conor McGregor and others with cardio issues abstain from running. You can ride all the tricycles you want, swim laps in a pool you want, use the elliptical until you faint, but nothing replicates the body and constant endurance of just straight running, specifically HIIT and running in intervals.

[​IMG]

Also important (obviously) is grappling whether it be BJJ or wrestling, because it accustoms your body to a different kind of endurance. But we have seen guys (and small guys shockingly) gas from exertion of strike exchanges

Guys with banged up knees like Conor, or another historical famous example: Shogun, etc who don't run because it impact your joints negatively (which I believe is true), and thus will not have the same endurance benefit as if they did run

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

False. Swimming >> Running for starters... unless you suck at swimming.

3. TheIrishPsycho

TheIrishPsycho Whiskey Belt

Maybe, still think swimming gives better cardio.

I can run all day, a few laps of the pool and i'm coughing up blood - i assume thats related anyway.

4. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

maybe this is the case for a lot of fighters who refuse to run then

5. nanika

nanika Brown Belt

swimming is probably just as good a cardiovascular work out.

but when you run you are holding your body upright and fighting gravity much more. this strengthens muscles and bones versus the buoyancy of water. bones are strengthened by stress. while people claim running causes knee injuries it is more often improper type of shoes for the persons foot type. they have prob 30 styles of running shoes now. small differences in design and body type can make a huge difference.

swimming is a great workout but fighters fight standing up on their feet for the most part. so running is more effective at MMA cardio.

that said sparring is also completely different and people who can run forever can gas quickly sparring. sparring however is more dangerous than running by a long shot.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. uptheirons!

uptheirons! Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Swimming isn't the same. Every boxer on the planet since the beginning of time has done road work. There's a reason for that.

7. Enigma87

Enigma87 Black Belt

Cruz’s legs/knees are fucked and he has great cardio

taugrim, THHR23, Tro and 12 others like this.
  8. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    False. Dom Cruz basically doesn't have knees anymore and won a title.

Running is a basic combat athlete skill though imo. Roadwork is a requirement in boxing.

9. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

Cruz is a prominent advocate of running/using the treadmill extensively in every camp. I don't think I have seen an embedded that doesn't consist of him on the treadmill

[​IMG]

This was meant moreso for fighters who refuse to run because of the impact of the joints, especially when they have banged up knees. Conor being the biggest and easiest name off the top of my head, but I am sure there are many

Tibbles, RichardN7, omawho402 and 6 others like this.
  10. 20falarVerdades

20falarVerdades Black Belt

Absolute broscience, also HIIT/interval training targets an entire different energy system than running long distances at low intensity

11. TCanaveira

TCanaveira Yellow Card Yellow Card

Conor should definitly fucking run. Tear your ACL once and never run again? Come on dude. That shit was over 2 years ago

Krixes, RichardN7, Hattori and 2 others like this.
  12. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

"never" and "always" are dangerous words of course, but by and large i believe what TS says is true.

fighters should run. they should swim and bike too (running + swimming + biking > running), but swimming alone won't do it, just like bicycling alone won't.

latest studies even show that running on a treadmill is not as good as running on the road or trail. they recommend using an elevation of 2% if on a treadmill.

omawho402 and magicmarker like this.
  13. magicmarker

magicmarker Purple Belt

I think it's an absolute necessity for boxing.

In mma, maybe not in order to go 3 rounds, but definitely to go 5 rounds.

omawho402 likes this.
  14. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One Platinum Member

I'll add as someone who was on a swim team for 4+ years that it has done my shoulders no favors as an old man. Running may put extra strain on the knees, but when you swim a lot you're just transferring the wear and tear to your shoulder joints.

15. JackSchtotll

JackSchtotll Brown Belt

But why would swimming not be as good as running for fighting cardio?

serious question.

mmarcelo likes this.
  16. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

I think it comes down to the training. I think most athletes are able to train for longer periods of time via running on elevated treadmills (using HIIT or not), running on a long trail, etc

as opposed to swimming in a pool for 40 minutes, most of it half-assed shadow boxing in the water

Also, does the impact sustained to your legs in running and getting accustomed to that impact benefit cardio? I don't know

I am trying to figure out why a fighter like Conor who has top training camp and equipment, had the UFC gym essentially rented out to him, "bikes for hours" in the Las Vegas desert, etc gasses like a 45 year old heavyweight in round 2?

Only oddity from his training regime that is easily noted is that he doesn't run. Whereas guys known for amazing stamina in MMA are also coincidentally known for being big runners. In boxing, you have guys like Mayweather who run multiple times a day, early morning, late at night, etc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    RichardN7 likes this.
  17. FlowchartRog

FlowchartRog Green Belt

True.

There's a reason why almost every elite boxer does mainly roadwork for cardio, there is no substitute.

Floyd and Pacquiao have some of the best stamina I've ever seen, and no surprise, they both run for miles every day when training for a fight.

magicmarker, omawho402 and covenant like this.
  18. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

most people don't swim in a way that maximizes cardio. TheIrishPsycho up in post 3 says he can only do a few laps - he probably needs some lessons.

swimming can be great for cardio if you can do 10,000 meters of butterfly, take a break then do 10,000 meters of (insert other stroke).

but most of us don't know how. so we swim 500 meters anaerobically - using awful form and hurting everywhere - then wonder why it's not helping.

here's an analogy everyone should get. imagine riking100 miles on a carbon fiber road bike

[​IMG]

and now imagine doing it on a dual suspension

[​IMG]

that's how most people swim; like they're riding a long distance on a shitty dual suspension bike.

noizer, JayE, ib313 and 3 others like this.
  19. uptheirons!

uptheirons! Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Running is higher impact on the legs and body in general, which is good for combat. You can't see the similarity between bouncing around the cage/ring and running?

magicmarker and omawho402 like this.
  20. Lawrence

Lawrence Brown Belt

If you are suggesting Cruz does not do roadwork, I think you need to look a little deeper for some facts.

omawho402 likes this.