Training with ringworm

Do not go on the mat with active ringworm.

If you catch suspect spots early, it really does not take long to clear up. I believe 72 hours of proper treatment with Lamisil is enough to render the smaller stuff inactive and non-contagious. That really isn't a long period of time to sit out.

Just take a little bit of time off to clear up the ringworm before you go back. You don't want to be spreading it all around to everyone.

I would imagine 90% of everyone who responds to this thread to say not to train until it is completely gone. Me personally, if I was training and someone told me they had ringworm I would still roll with them. Ringworm isn't a big deal.

not a big deal til you have it across your face and neck?

/insert foreveraloneguy.jpg

My ringworm is almost gone now, its just a faint red circle, if i completely cover it with athletic tape would it still spread? (its just below my knee)

*Im not trying to hide it IMO, just stop it from spreading onto my training partners. I will of course tell them i have it before rolling
Here is my HONEST opinion, I've been training for 4 and a half year. This past Saturday was my first instance of having ringworm and I'm pissed. Personally, I would say stay off the mats until it is completely cleared up to prevent any further spreading of the nasty fungus. Showering before training increases your chances of spreading the fungus and showering right after reduces it. I'm going to be off the mats until it is cleared up out of respect for my training partners and to prevent/stop the spread of RINGWORM.

If it's still "scabbing over" stay off the mat please.

Contrary to what others might say you're not a filthy bastard. At least you're trying to be considerate.

Someone could've passed it before they even realized they had it, this happens. Caught the worm all 4 years of HS wrestling and we were some militant fucks about preventing it. Did 5-6 years of Judo and never caught it, but got it within my first year of BJJ....

These things happen. Kill it and get back training.

I'd roll with you if you taped it up with KT tape and reinforced it with hockey tape, as long as it is not some big open wound or whatever.

I would imagine 90% of everyone who responds to this thread to say not to train until it is completely gone. Me personally, if I was training and someone told me they had ringworm I would still roll with them. Ringworm isn't a big deal.
That's horrible thinking. I have a wife and children and so do many others who train at the gym. You aren't only affecting yourself but the whole gym who trains with you. You risk not only contaminating the mats and yourself, your risk contaminating everything you come into contact with. Ringworm is easily spread by contact. You can even give it to yourself again.

Please don't train with ringworm.

an asshole walked into my gym with like 5 of them and infected half the mma class, who then infected half of my class... i've gotten and treated it at least 4 times since december.

if you have anything on your skin that doesn't look right, don't train. i've been raging in my gym like a maniac, but ringworm is so rare around here that no one knows what it is. just when i thought we were clear i saw a guy with a bigass rash on the side of his hand and when i asked him what it was he told me it was probably from some chemicals he worked with... except it wasn't, and he just didn't know it was ringworm.

anything on your skin that doesn't look right? don't. fucking. train.

My doctor told me that after 48 hours of treatment it would no longer be contagious. The cream helped to clear up the ringworm, but it kept spreading to new places, and only after I started taking a pill did it clear up completely.

ringworm is a bitch.

Ringworm is funny because it's really just an inconvenience. You're highly unlikely to have any real health issues from it. It's just a bitch to fully clear it from your skin. When I had it, it took like a month to disappear. Just when it looked like the infection was clear, it would pop up in a new spot, and then you start the cycle over. So annoying.

Ringworm is funny because it's really just an inconvenience. You're highly unlikely to have any real health issues from it. It's just a bitch to fully clear it from your skin. When I had it, it took like a month to disappear. Just when it looked like the infection was clear, it would pop up in a new spot, and then you start the cycle over. So annoying.
yeah, but if you keep training with it, you'll just keep passing it to eachother within the group and you'll perpetually have an ugly ass rash somewhere.

not to mention spreading it to your girl, she won't be happy about that.

it's not a health hazard, but it is disgusting and annoying as all hell.

there will always be someone with it, so by you skipping class so people dont catch it seems abit pointless

NO. We only had one outbreak due to some asshole coming in while it still wasnt over. DO NOT TRAIN WITH RINGWORM. Shit is infectious

It only takes a couple of weeks to get over ring worm. Just stay home and don't train for the sake of everyone at your school. Missing a couple of weeks in the grand scheme of training over years is not a huge deal.

Got ringworms and plantar warts from rolling because some douche higher belts won't stay off the mats when he's fully covered with it, so I've decided, the hell with it, those shits could be in the mat already anyway!
What's disgusting is rolling with someone with unwashed gi for like a week or more, then has ACNEs with pus that are about to pop up when touched by gi.

Trained with ringworm before. He's got a wicked single leg.

Got ringworms and plantar warts from rolling

Hmm, that's the first I've heard anyone mention Plantar warts. I thought I was getting on in my foot last week. It was hard to walk on. I put Fucadin ointment on it and bandaged it for a day and it's gone. But I was wondering if it was a Plantars wart and I was wondering if it was from the mats.

There was no lump or anything visual at all, but it felt like a shard of glass was in my foot when I put weight on it.

Hmm, that's the first I've heard anyone mention Plantar warts. I thought I was getting on in my foot last week. It was hard to walk on. I put Fucadin ointment on it and bandaged it for a day and it's gone. But I was wondering if it was a Plantars wart and I was wondering if it was from the mats.

There was no lump or anything visual at all, but it felt like a shard of glass was in my foot when I put weight on it.

Can't have been a wart. A wart wouldn't respond to Fucadin and wouldn't go that fast.

You can get verrucas (plantar warts) from grappling. But you can definitely train with them as long as you cover them up with a plaster and a sock on top. Kids get them a lot from gym, swimming, changing rooms, mats etc.

Good. Yeah it was only a thing for about 2 days. Day one it felt like a sliver, day two it felt like glass, day three it was starting to be an issue at all. One treatment of Fucadin.

Warts can be killed with Salicylic acid but it takes at least 2 weeks. I've mistakenly used this acid on ringworm, got skin burns after, bad move.

Got ringworms and plantar warts from rolling because some douche higher belts won't stay off the mats when he's fully covered with it, so I've decided, the hell with it, those shits could be in the mat already anyway!
What's disgusting is rolling with someone with unwashed gi for like a week or more, then has ACNEs with pus that are about to pop up when touched by gi.

You gotta love BJJ.
1.. Pick up skin diseases from people that either dont care or dont know any better.
2. Frequent injuries.
3. Most people suck for a long time and get smashed in class on the regular.

I still train, but I completely understand why most people quit.

Back