Training with ringworm

This is why they inspect people for ringworm before wrestling meets

Ring worm happens. If you keep it bandaged and soaked with anti lamisal it usually dries up pretty quickly. I would roll with you if its covered up.

So long sleeve rash guards are pretty much useless?

no, they prevent mat/gi burn. come on, people. your shirt and your tape are not like condoms. they are porous. just like your toilet seat covers in public restrooms, microorganisms can easily go through them.

I'd be pissed off knowing you were on the mats with ringworm. I know you want to train, but that's selfish.

Ballistics, stop being a dirty bastard.

lol Im not a dirty bastard. Seriously. I'm confident that I am the cleanest person in the gym. The people that I won't roll with, are the dirtbags who hang dry their gi after training, and then wear it the next day and wash it once a week. That's just fucking disgusting.

Our rule #6: Anyone with a skin infection cannot participate in classes
until it is treated and then checked by the instructor

Eh, if it's still flaking, I'd wait longer.

Eh, if it's still flaking, I'd wait longer.

Yeah, not to mention that training will make it worse because of the sweat and friction. Even if it's almost gone, it could come back if you train, you could re-infect yourself. Wait until it's completely cleared up.

I rolled with a guy that had his shit taped up and claimed it was "dead."

Surprise! I got fucking ringworm. I stayed off the mats for four weeks just to be sure I wouldn't be a douche and spread it to anyone else. Don't be selfish, take the time out to make damn well sure its gone.

I rolled with a guy that had his shit taped up and claimed it was "dead."

Surprise! I got fucking ringworm. I stayed off the mats for four weeks just to be sure I wouldn't be a douche and spread it to anyone else. Don't be selfish, take the time out to make damn well sure its gone.

I guess next time you should just decline rolling with someone who has ringworm and not be shocked that you have it when you do.

I guess next time you should just decline rolling with someone who has ringworm and not be shocked that you have it when you do.

They shouldn't even be in the gym.

They shouldn't even be in the gym.

It's only ringworm. But why did you roll with him if he shouldn't be there in the first place? Don't get me wrong though, I do see where you are coming from. When I got ringworm, I stayed off the mat but I went down to watch. I let everyone know I had it too.

I would decline to roll with someone who had any active break out.

I have alcohol wipes in my gym bag and wipe down exposed skin after rolling. I then go home and shower.

It's only ringworm. But why did you roll with him if he shouldn't be there in the first place? Don't get me wrong though, I do see where you are coming from. When I got ringworm, I stayed off the mat but I went down to watch. I let everyone know I had it too.

Because after 6 years of training with zero skin infections I figured I was invincible. Never again.

I would imagine 90% of everyone who responds to this thread to say not to train until it is completely gone. Me personally, if I was training and someone told me they had ringworm I would still roll with them. Ringworm isn't a big deal.

Ringworm may not be a "big deal" when it comes to your health, but causing your team mates to lose time on the mats is. And before you say that they will only lose a class or two... I got ringworm in my beard and scalp last year. It's almost impossible to kill there and keeps coming back every time you kill it with topical creams. I spent a total of three months off due to ringworm outbreaks. I had to see three different doctors, and was prescribed two different oral medications (the first one wasn't effective and it came back), which are hard on your liver. Luckily I have good insurance so it only cost me around $150 in co-pays and meds, but if I didn't have insurance it would have easily cost almost a grand (my insurance was billed about $1,500).

Oh, and if it gets in the finger or toe nails, it will take upwards of a year on medication to clear up.

So no, do not go back and train until you are sure it's dead.

EDIT: Meant to say three months off.

Last edited:
Ringworm may not be a "big deal" when it comes to your health, but causing your team mates to lose time on the mats is. And before you say that they will only lose a class or two... I got ringworm in my beard and scalp last year. It's almost impossible to kill there and keeps coming back every time you kill it with topical creams. I spent a total of three off due to ringworm outbreaks. I had to see three different doctors, and was prescribed two different oral medications (the first one wasn't effective and it came back), which are hard on your liver. Luckily I have good insurance so it only cost me around $150 in co-pays and meds, but if I didn't have insurance it would have easily cost almost a grand (my insurance was billed about $1,500).

Oh, and if it gets in the finger or toe nails, it will take upwards of a year on medication to clear up.

So no, do not go back and train until you are sure it's dead.

I know this.

Ballistics said:
It's only ringworm.... Don't get me wrong though, I do see where you are coming from. When I got ringworm, I stayed off the mat but I went down to watch. I let everyone know I had it too.

It's not just about telling people and letting them decide if they want to roll with you. STAY OFF THE MAT! I wouldn't roll with you, and you dirtying up the mat anyways just ignores that fact.

It's not just about telling people and letting them decide if they want to roll with you. STAY OFF THE MAT! I wouldn't roll with you, and you dirtying up the mat anyways just ignores that fact.

qft, stay off the mats dirtyasses

Back