Toys R' Us goes out of business, closes all stores

I can't wrap my head around this. How is Amazon a toy empire when no children are begging parents to take them there?

my kid asks all the time to look at my phone/computer to see new Imaginext figures, or Batman sets, etc....

Anyone shop at TRU after this news? Get anything good?

I bet if some time traveler asked us all back in 2000 that Blockbuster, TRU and Sears would be out of business within 20 years we all would have laughed at whoever asked that dumbass question. Crazy times man.

Great video explaining why they went under.

People keep blaming Amazon or that kids don't play with toys but that's not true. TRU made some really stupid business decisions and only a slightly below average quarter was enough to sink them.

Speaking of Amazon though, anyone find their prices very average now? You don't even get deals now. The brick and mortar stores usually have the same or cheaper prices now. You're just paying for the convenience now.

A leveraged buyout, yuge interest charges and slumping sales ended them bro.

That's a damn shame.

There is a huge one in Woking, below a multistorey car park in the middle of town.

I first got my hands on the Sega Dreamcast in there, a console that I was desperate to own at launch. I was blown away by the graphical leap. I used to browse through the aisle, looking at dozens of little cards that represented the games. To buy, you had to take them to the counter at the edge of the building.

I also used to buy little toy sports cars whilst I was there, my favourite being the blue and white Dodge Viper GTS Coupe.

Shame.
Hell yes haha. Got my Dreamcast from toys r us also. November 1999. Picked up NFL blitz 2000 and Sonic adventure the same night.

It's worth noting that we quite literally have the power to keep brick-and-mortar stores in business, and that is by shopping at them instead of giving all our money to Amazon.

People don't seem to realize this.

but Amazon always lowers their price

They should just become a mainly online, mail order type retail store, with just a handful of flagship/trophy property brick and mortar stores in key locations.

Sometimes you have to pay a little more to do some good in the world.

doesn't really apply to Toys R Us, look at all the negative comments. It's sad that kids no longer love toys, but the store was overpriced with bad customer service. There is a mark up by just going there and they sit on their product for years before clearing it out.

doesn't really apply to Toys R Us, look at all the negative comments. It's sad that kids no longer love toys, but the store was overpriced with bad customer service. There is a mark up by just going there and they sit on their product for years before clearing it out.

I'm more just making a comment on supporting the brick-and-mortar businesses in your community.

It's not that I don't buy from Amazon, but it's only a few times a year.

It's the backward "R". I mean, who wants to shop for stuff for your kids from a store that can't even spell correctly.
mzl.qerfldsq.png

And btw "R" isn't even a word, it's a freakin letter.
smh, amazing
#MAGA

I was at one of the better stores tonight. Completely understaffed. Could have taken wtevr, but of course I don't steal.. But there were no employees anywhere but the checkout line. Manager I think. Sign as you were walking in said "No we haven't started our liquidation. No we don't know when it starts."

I take solace in the fact that I can still go to Kay-Bee Toys for my needs

No surprise the closest one to me hasn't been busy in years
How do you know that, tho? You've been checking on their traffic?

1.png

But seriously, it's kind of a downer to have these old businesses close. Truth be told, I don't have any kids, and my nephews live across the country... maybe that explains how I almost forgot Toys R Us existed until hearing this news.

I worked for Toys R Us about 12 years ago. There's still a picture somewhere of me jumping off a ladder onto a massive heap of stuffed animals.
Ah, night shift.
<26>
That was the beginning of the moral decay of Toys R Us.

Toys R Us screwed Toys R Us
<{cruzshake}>

<{hughesimpress}>

<{nope}>

Last edited:
Well now that Im a adult. Strip clubs are my toys r us. That will never close....

Back