Toys R' Us goes out of business, closes all stores

They had a good run.

I'll always remember the time my mother brought me there after the eye doctors, to buy me a toy in order to cheer me up.

I couldn't see much and all was blurry. So she stood me in front of the action figures and told me to point to one and she'd buy it for me. I picked out Krang from Ninja Turtles. Good memory.
I like this story.

Lol I buy shoes and clothes online. I know my size and measurements. And the measurements and style/size are listed on the site. I hardly ever have issues with getting the wrong fit.
Of course something like a suit I would only do in person.
I don't do all of my clothes shopping online , but probably at least half

I legit don't think that I've ever ordered a single wearable item online. Not even once.

Why pay extra to buy something while wasting time and money to drive around going to stores trying to find something? Then you have to order it. The store orders it from Amazon and jacks up the price. Between Amazon and Walmart .com, I can get almost anything I want delivered to my house in a couple of days.

Well a few reasons. . .

1. To support businesses in your community.

2. To get the item(s) the same day.

3. To fight back against Amazon's draconian and much-derided practices as an employer.

4. To ensure that Amazon doesn't just continue to grow and grow in power and influence.

5. To not be lazy as fuck and actually get out of the house.

Toy's R Us came into my town and closed all of the local, higher quality, stores.

You gonna sell overseas shit get ready to be punked by a company like Amazon.

they shud just make toys r us a museum. Keep it as is, for people in the future who don't know what a toy store looks like

I think toys are becoming obsolete.
These days when I go out to restaurants, I see a tablet in every child's hand.
too expensive really toys these days tablets maybe expensive but they serve so many functions. It's actually the adults into toys now, like the transformer toys which are high end, Lego's etc.

the department store was once the big bad, squeezing out the mom and pop stores.

now the shoe is on the other foot, and the department store is getting squeezed out by the online store.

business is ruthless, and the big fish becomes the little fish

<mma4>

This post makes me not so sad about this anymore

It's still a nostalgic thing though, stores like Toys R Us and Blockbuster

Back in the old days my buddy would switch price stickers. He would put a 19.99 sticker on a remote control car worth 179.99 and the retards that worked the register never checked. Then his little brother got a job there and they robbed the place blind.

They sold that shit as portable, but it was like a barbell plate. Then they released the carrying case later which was basically a suitcase. Portable my ass..

Joe Montana football on that thing was the tits though, lol

People keep blaming Amazon or that kids don't play with toys but that's not true. TRU made some really stupid business decisions and only a slightly below average quarter was enough to sink them.

Speaking of Amazon though, anyone find their prices very average now? You don't even get deals now. The brick and mortar stores usually have the same or cheaper prices now. You're just paying for the convenience now.

The main thing to take away from this article is probably the last two sentences:

The company was taken over by private equity giants KKR, Bain Capital and real estate investment company Vornado in 2005. Together they paid $6.6 billion, but saddled the company with $5.3 billion in debt.

The company got saddled with so much debt by corporate raiders, it couldn't break out of it.

why did it go down? is it because phones and tablets? kids dont play with physical toys anymore?

I dont think its amazon in this case....kids play emotionally... like I really dont see a kid going through amazon like a sad fucking adult and choosing a toy out of a picture on a screen.... I think kids still like to touch the toy and have fun with it and say to their fucking mom..."mom I want this can we buy it"... is that the case or am I wrong about kids on this? (I dont have kids)

If its happening I would think its more because kids dont play with physical toys anymore but they are playing with their tablets all day like sad fucking adults

toys r us is the go to spot if u gotta pick something up for a kid's birthday or for christmas. i was wondering why i wasn't able to find one this past christmas.

I see your muscle men, and raise you Battle Beasts.

maxresdefault.jpg

I see your Battle Beasts, and raise you Army Ants:

BlueCommanderAnt1a.jpg

I am sad to see them go because in the late 80's/early 90's you knew as a kid that going there meant you were getting something awesome!

That being said, as an adult I've joked that there was no sadder place than a Toys R Us on a Sunday morning. All the single dads getting "see daddy loves you" gifts before dropping off the kids for another 2 weeks.

people go to the internet for video games, they go to walmart or a local bike shop for bikes (NES games are the main reason i went to Toys R Us as a child). They also go to the internet, walmart or target for most toys, or online for specialty/hard to find stuff. Toys R Us didn't change with the times, and now they have gone the way of Zody's and K-Mart.

I can't wrap my head around this. How is Amazon a toy empire when no children are begging parents to take them there?

Back