To move or not to move?....I need advice

One of my best friends lives in Bakerfield. Everytime I go down that hill it's just clouds and clouds and clouds of shit. LA mornings have nothing on Bakersfield days.
I've been to a couple of places and every time I left I was always breathing easier

If you want to kick your alcohol dependency, then move to Utah.
They have the worst alcoholic beverage laws in the world.

So right now I live in Bakersfield California (shitty place I know)
And I got an invited to move to Rapid city, South Dakota by my younger brother.
And I told him that I'd consider it, but I really don't know what to do.If I do move over there, I don't know what to expect.
Has anybody been there or somewhere close to it? I know it's going to be cold there, and way different then California, but I'm wondering if the pros will outweigh the cons...

Also the reson why I'm really considering this move is because I am really to kick my alcoholism to the curb. I have too much alcoholic family and friends down here in Bakersfield, and it is hard as hell to quit when you're literally surrounded by alcohol all the time. So should I just get the hell out of here and away from everyone? Will moving to South Dakota make me lonely and depressed and eventually get me back on the booze?

....I need some advice

Move. Getting away from bad influences is vital to your long term happiness. You'll have your bro to hang out with so you won't be totally alone.

If you don't like it there you can move elsewhere eventually. Listen to that inner voice that wants you to get it together. You'll never regret listening to that voice.

Move. Getting away from bad influences is vital to your long term happiness. You'll have your bro to hang out with so you won't be totally alone.

If you don't like it there you can move elsewhere eventually. Listen to that inner voice that wants you to get it together. You'll never regret listening to that voice.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it can only help if I move away from all of the negativity that is this place...I'm going to miss most of my family members but they all drink and make it hard on me to be sober

if you really think you cant kick your alcoholism, it would likely be a big help to move. I quit doing drugs by moving from being with my homies in costa mesa to huntington, even thuogh its a short move, moving somewhere else changes your routines and habits. made it easier for me because i was so mentally involved in all the other changes in my life, that i wasnt just focused on changing the drug habit

im not a therapist or anything, but that was my experience

it would be hard to get me to move from california tho

if you really think you cant kick your alcoholism, it would likely be a big help to move. I quit doing drugs by moving from being with my homies in costa mesa to huntington, even thuogh its a short move, moving somewhere else changes your routines and habits. made it easier for me because i was so mentally involved in all the other changes in my life, that i wasnt just focused on changing the drug habit

im not a therapist or anything, but that was my experience

it would be hard to get me to move from california tho
I hear you...there's so much things to do in California...I love how Magic mountain is just an hour and a half away...The beaches....There are plenty of reasons that are going to make moving away very difficult...but if it can benifit my health, my mind and my life...I might as well just move because those things are even more important than everything else

So right now I live in Bakersfield California (shitty place I know)
And I got an invited to move to Rapid city, South Dakota by my younger brother.
And I told him that I'd consider it, but I really don't know what to do.If I do move over there, I don't know what to expect.
Has anybody been there or somewhere close to it? I know it's going to be cold there, and way different then California, but I'm wondering if the pros will outweigh the cons...

Also the reson why I'm really considering this move is because I am really to kick my alcoholism to the curb. I have too much alcoholic family and friends down here in Bakersfield, and it is hard as hell to quit when you're literally surrounded by alcohol all the time. So should I just get the hell out of here and away from everyone? Will moving to South Dakota make me lonely and depressed and eventually get me back on the booze?

....I need some advice

Have you considered the South?

ct-south-carolina-confederate-flag-20150706

A change of scenery is good.. that's what happened to me when I moved to St. Louis and got sober 15 years ago. It's true that you can get fucked up no matter where you live, but if you are willing to put in the effort and clean up.. it's easier to do when you are away from the people, places and things that you are in a routine with.

You can always move back later like I did.

Have you considered the South?

ct-south-carolina-confederate-flag-20150706
If I had any relatives over there, I'd move over there in a heartbeat. Fire ass bbq and southern hospitality seems like right up my alley.

A change of scenery is good.. that's what happened to me when I moved to St. Louis and got sober 15 years ago. It's true that you can get fucked up no matter where you live, but if you are willing to put in the effort and clean up.. it's easier to do when you are away from the people, places and things that you are in a routine with.

You can always move back later like I did.
Thanks for your comment...I wanted to hear from a man with experience

If I had any relatives over there, I'd move over there in a heartbeat. Fire ass bbq and southern hospitality seems like right up my alley.

The best thing about the South is the people. We have the prettiest girls in the US hands down. Taste the food down here and you'll never go back. Just ask @Captain Davis

My father in law has traveled the country and he said places like the Dakota's, Wyoming, Montana, etc. are very similar to the south. A lot of open range and rural areas. Those types of people are generally very hospitable and friendly.

Being from Cali, the only setback could be the weather. I hate cold weather, so a move north would almost be unthinkable for me.

However, the Gulf Coast is humid as fuck, so it's going to be tough to beat the California weather.

But, I think getting away from all of the negative influences is a great idea. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There's nothing to do in SD so you'll probably switch from alcohol to meth.

Well, see if you can find a comparable job there first. IF you can, then yes I'd move.

Not because it's bakersfield, But because even YOU think it's shitty. Even if it's paradise, I think you should still move just to see the world. Then move back if you don't like it.

I used to party all of the time and just had a huge network of people to go drink with. It was becoming a problem and I decided to make the move. Probably the best decision that I've made.

Back