To move or not to move?....I need advice

HOV

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So right now I live in Bakersfield California (shitty place I know)
And I got an invited to move to Rapid city, South Dakota by my younger brother.
And I told him that I'd consider it, but I really don't know what to do.If I do move over there, I don't know what to expect.
Has anybody been there or somewhere close to it? I know it's going to be cold there, and way different then California, but I'm wondering if the pros will outweigh the cons...

Also the reson why I'm really considering this move is because I am really to kick my alcoholism to the curb. I have too much alcoholic family and friends down here in Bakersfield, and it is hard as hell to quit when you're literally surrounded by alcohol all the time. So should I just get the hell out of here and away from everyone? Will moving to South Dakota make me lonely and depressed and eventually get me back on the booze?

....I need some advice

Never been there but it sounds like you need a scenery change and the fresh air may do you good.

If you have nothing hoping you back like kids or a good job what's the harm in trying something new. If it doesn't work out you can always go back.

Ive been to bakersfield and I think even an AA meeting there. Its a good idea to separate yourself from the people who are doing drugs and drinking too much, which seems like a good part of the central valley. Why don't you go to a few meetings and find out what they are, then decide if you want to move. AA is worldwide so no matter where you go you will find people who will treat you like a friend and lend you a helping hand.

Wait do they not sell alcohol in SD?

You can't run from yourself,from problem.If you want to stop,you will.Listen to your own 'voice'

Wait do they not sell alcohol in SD?
Of course they do...but all of my friends and family are all alcoholics where I currently reside...that is the problem

You should get the hell out of California now, especially tweakersville.

I can't imagine how much meth is cooked in either of these places.

Bakersfield to SD sounds like a very similar move. Granted they have actual oxygen in South Dakota. Also, you'll be surrounded by the same amount of drinkers in a cold region.

It is but it doesn't help being surrounded by booze all the time

That's true but unless you literally live with the people you can separate yourself from them without moving halfway across the country. It's hard to do but I'd recommend at least trying it first. AA rooms throughout the world are filled with people who once thought that relocating was the solution to their problem only to find that turning their life upside down only ended up making things worse for them

Lol Bakersfield is a very polluted place...you're right about that
One of my best friends lives in Bakerfield. Everytime I go down that hill it's just clouds and clouds and clouds of shit. LA mornings have nothing on Bakersfield days.

Sounds liek you're not ready to truly admit and kick your demons. Moving away will be a large step in the right direction.
I've been boozing since I was 14 years old and I am now 29...making the transition to sobriety is difficult honestly

Back