Tito Ortiz vs Dan Henderson - Who would have won?

If its early 2000s, go with Tito. Right now, Hendo.

Not sure cuz Hendo/Arona happened. Tito would try to do the same thing, but with safer positioning and more GnP. If Hendo scrambles well he'd hurt Tito at some point and put him away.

Both of their wrestling fell off around the same time, around 8-9 years ago. Hendo started to hunt for KO's while not wrestling much and was easier to take down, while Tito lost the one tool that got him to the top. Before that Tito has a good chance. After that Hendo's a heavy favorite.

Not sure cuz Hendo/Arona happened. Tito would try to do the same thing, but with safer positioning and more GnP. If Hendo scrambles well he'd hurt Tito at some point and put him away.

Both of their wrestling fell off around the same time, around 8-9 years ago. Hendo started to hunt for KO's while not wrestling much and was easier to take down, while Tito lost the one tool that got him to the top. Before that Tito has a good chance. After that Hendo's a heavy favorite.

Arona edged that fight by being very crafty though in a way I don't think Tito would be able to, neither in terms of grappling nore timing takedowns as well(even if he was arguably a better wrestler).

I think the Wanderlei fight oversold Tito's wrestling personally, Wand at that stage was still very naïve just rushing in constantly rather than being a bit craftier as we saw a little latter.

Arona edged that fight by being very crafty though in a way I don't think Tito would be able to, neither in terms of grappling nore timing takedowns as well(even if he was arguably a better wrestler).

I think the Wanderlei fight oversold Tito's wrestling personally, Wand at that stage was still very naïve just rushing in constantly rather than being a bit craftier as we saw a little latter.

Tito wrestled well against Vlad, Vitor, Rashad, Forrest and early on vs Chuck. I'd say those guys are fairly close to Hendo's ability to stop top control (Chuck & Rashad being better, Forrest & Vitor being worse), especially later when Dan was in brawl mode, off balance constantly since he over-extended with the right.

But there was a point, maybe the Forrest rematch, and definitely the Hamill fight, where Tito became a boxer who couldn't really box. Lost his explosion.

rampage outwrestled dan . i think tito takes it too depending on what stage of his career

Bad matchup for Dan.

Tito would be too big for him to keep it standing, and if Dan did happen to land something big Tito had the chin to take all but the very best shot.

Very similar to the rampage fight.

Of course if they met later in their career when Tito was shot and Dan wasn't, Dan smokes him.

Realistically, Hendo seems like the tougher fighter, with the better career.
It also should be remembered that Tito has a very good chin (not meant as a pun), good wrestling, and cardio. And we did see Hendo appear to be on his way to killing , or at least putting into a coma, Jake Shields, before taking an asswhoopin.
I don't know that this happens at 205, but if he doesn't stop the takedown, Tito could win a decision. Hendo, on paper, should win, but Tito may be a bad matchup.

What year? Because late ish in their careers I'd say Hendo.

Earlier I'd say probably Tito.

Tito wrestled well against Vlad, Vitor, Rashad, Forrest and early on vs Chuck. I'd say those guys are fairly close to Hendo's ability to stop top control (Chuck & Rashad being better, Forrest & Vitor being worse), especially later when Dan was in brawl mode, off balance constantly since he over-extended with the right.

But there was a point, maybe the Forrest rematch, and definitely the Hamill fight, where Tito became a boxer who couldn't really box. Lost his explosion.

In a pure wrestling match I'd guess Tito would beat Arona(indeed I think he was ontop most in ADCC but again Arona was too craft on the ground and won with a sweep and position improvement) but Arona like GSP(who would probably also lose to someone like Kos in pure wrestling) had the game down of keeping people at range with his lowkicks then hitting takedowns when they tried to move in aggressively. Tito was never as good at that IMHO and if Hendo isn't off balance I think its vastly tougher to get him down, indeed I think Hendo would be the superior wrestler.

In a pure wrestling match I'd guess Tito would beat Arona(indeed I think he was ontop most in ADCC but again Arona was too craft on the ground and won with a sweep and position improvement) but Arona like GSP(who would probably also lose to someone like Kos in pure wrestling) had the game down of keeping people at range with his lowkicks then hitting takedowns when they tried to move in aggressively. Tito was never as good at that IMHO and if Hendo isn't off balance I think its vastly tougher to get him down, indeed I think Hendo would be the superior wrestler.

Tito's size makes a difference with the wrestling, if we're talking young Tito here. Hendo's been taken down by a lot of smaller guys, but it's true he was good when he looked to stuff, like against Bisping the first time around.

Still, he knew what Arona was gonna do and had trouble with his size & strength. Of course Tito doesn't have the same ground skills, but I think he'd face similar problems against a young Tito, who would stay in guard and elbow GnP, which makes escapes difficult.

But Hendo's always been a very good scrambler, even later in his career against Lyoto & Fedor, so it would depend a lot on that, imo, as Tito's not doing much to him standing up.

Dan wins.. more power and better wrestler (even tho he didnt have titos strong power double.. still a better wrestler overall)

What version of Tito are we talking about? Early 2000s I think Tito walks right through him due to size. Tito 2009-present who knows but he still has the size I guess.

Tito's size makes a difference with the wrestling, if we're talking young Tito here. Hendo's been taken down by a lot of smaller guys, but it's true he was good when he looked to stuff, like against Bisping the first time around.

Still, he knew what Arona was gonna do and had trouble with his size & strength. Of course Tito doesn't have the same ground skills, but I think he'd face similar problems against a young Tito, who would stay in guard and elbow GnP, which makes escapes difficult.

But Hendo's always been a very good scrambler, even later in his career against Lyoto & Fedor, so it would depend a lot on that, imo, as Tito's not doing much to him standing up.

Arona didn't just power though him though, he did what he always did picking away from range before suddenly shooting in with a quick double leg or trip when someone got pissed at being lowkicked and tried to close the distance.

Someone like Wanderlei(the first time) Ninja on the other hand got Hendo down by actually being willing to trade with him which again I'm not sure I see Tito doing.

When Hendo actually got into more of a pure wrestling match with opponents he was far from easy to get down, he got the best of Rampage for example until he started to slow down and at the points where Arona couldn't get the drop on him he generally came out ontop to.

Dan wins.. more power and better wrestler (even tho he didnt have titos strong power double.. still a better wrestler overall)
I think Dan would get blanketed by Tito tbh, he could catch him, but Tito's chin is granite.

Tough fight for Decision/Hollywood/Hendo.

Would this be decision Dan or TRT Dan? TRT Dan would probably win. Decision Dan might get out-wrestled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back