Time to destroy the "Connor won the early rounds" fallacy

Rewatched the early rounds, and Floyd definitely wasn't just toying with him.. he was actually moving forward walking Conor down the entire time and looked surprised Conor was actually landing

Floyd fought extremely conservatively. If he opened up from the get go Conor wouldn't have "looked good" at any point in the fight.

Conor deserves a lot of credit for what he did.

He landed punches, won some rounds, and made it a competitive fight for a few rounds.

Lots of people thought Conor wouldn't land a punch, Max Kellerman, for instance. And myself.

I don't like Conor. But he did very well last night.

Floyd wouldn't have lasted nearly as long in an MMA match.
It was never a competitive fight. Ever. Not at anytime was it competitive. This was a sparring session.

Exactly. Upon rewatches, people will start to appreciate how in control Floyd was. Even in the rounds he was losing.

Conor was starting to shake his arms out and take a few big breaths in the second round. Round 2. Floyd was softening him up to the body the whole time. He landed a straight right to the body in the middle of the 5th that looked like it went to Conor's spine.

Floyd played with his food. Then he ate it.

Floyd wanted to get punched in the face? Brilliant. Eating some of those shots like that clean uppercut to the chin was a genius strategy.

The fact that a guy with 0 boxing fights could go in there against the greatest boxer of the last 15 years and arguably win 5 rounds is amazing. MMA was the real winner from that fight and the claim that MMA striking is amateur can be laid to rest.

Stop posting noob

Connor won the early rounds!
Connor was a better boxer before he got tired!

Anyone wouldve won those rounds against Floyd. He threw like 6 punches and blocked the vast majority of connors arm punches. A 12 year old would've won those rounds.

Still won them.

Anyone wouldve won those rounds against Floyd. He threw like 6 punches and blocked the vast majority of connors arm punches. A 12 year old would've won those rounds.

So are you saying it didn't happen or it did happen because your thread title implies that it didn't happen and the portion I quoted clearly says he did.

McGregor looked good, overall. Really, he took on a 49-0 multi-weight class boxing champ and didn't do all too poorly.

But, for the first three rounds Floyd did what he normally does. He waited, fought smart, got hit with lots of hammerfists (lol), and then came to life in round 4.

Overall, I was happy to order the ppv and enjoyed an entertaining match. Disappointed in the Davis/Fonsesco fight, total BS.

That's what Mayweather does.

Yeah MW is notorious for giving away the first 3 rounds minimum. And then he just outboxes you. Had Conor not gassed, MW would've still gotten the UD. That's classic MW roadmap.

Yeah MW is notorious for giving away the first 3 rounds minimum. And then he just outboxes you. Had Conor not gassed, MW would've still gotten the UD. That's classic MW roadmap.
And even with that, only one judge have the first three rounds to cloner. The other 2 only gave him the first.

Holy crap, you're delusional. You must be new to fighting if you're one of those guys that tries to judge a fight by how bruised or cut a guy is. If Floyd wasn't scared of Conor's power then he wouldn't have played the long game strategy of waiting for Conor to gas before going on the offensive.
Maybe he wanted to see if he could win withou breaking a sweat or getting his heartbrate over 140.... he was probably also hungover and just wanted to coast to the easy KO.

I gave Conor the first two rounds and another round was close. I give him credit. I can see 6-3 but 7-2 is more realistic. Floyd, the feather fisted 41 year old "runner", basically walked down the MUCH BIGGER McGregor the entire fight. I was more impressed by Mayweather's decision to fight not run. He wasn't scared of Conor's punches at all.

At least the fight was entertaining. I expected Floyd to box as he usually does instead of fighting a style that gave McGregor some rounds.

I get the distinct feeling that many MMA fans haven't seen any of Floyd's fights.

And many more have only seen one or two.

I have seen all of them. And while Floyd was never in danger, he definitely did not move like 30 year old Floyd. Which may be an obvious statement, but 30 year old Floyd would've been able to stand in the pocket and still not get tagged as much.

I have seen all of them. And while Floyd was never in danger, he definitely did not move like 30 year old Floyd. Which may be an obvious statement, but 30 year old Floyd would've been able to stand in the pocket and still not get tagged as much.
30 year old Floyd could have gotten Conor out of there in five rounds.

Time to just enjoy the fight for what it was, great entertainment.

Back