Time to destroy the "Connor won the early rounds" fallacy

Theologicaldisc

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Connor won the early rounds!
Connor was a better boxer before he got tired!

Anyone wouldve won those rounds against Floyd. He threw like 6 punches and blocked the vast majority of connors arm punches. A 12 year old would've won those rounds.

I get the distinct feeling that many MMA fans haven't seen any of Floyd's fights.

And many more have only seen one or two.

IMO No one knew what to expect from Conor. Floyd included.
So he took the first couple of rounds just to check what Conor would do, feel Conor's power, etc.

Once he got that, he took over.

So you're saying Mayweather won those rounds?

Conor won those rounds because Floyd allowed him to. He did exactly what Floyd wanted him to do and nothing more.

He may have won some rounds on the scorecard but he really lost them because he fell into Floyd's trap.

Conor only did what Floyd allowed him to do in that ring.

The MMA fan base, and the irrational Conor fans, have no idea what happened in the early rounds.

Floyd's arms are probably sore....

If Conor had absolutely zero Mayweather would have taken him out within two rounds. Mayweather was responsible enough to identify what danger Conor presented and then went to work knowing that he had 12 rounds. Conor had enough to have a puncher's chance but not enough to be a serious threat, unless Mayweather was completely careless.

Last edited:
Did you see the scorecards?

I hadn't, but just looked them up. All I can say now is wow. Boxing with even more corrupt or incompetent judging than mma. Floyd throws nothin and still gets 2 of the first 3 rounds on 2 cards? That is poor.

The fact a 49-0 boxer couldn't outbox a 0-0 boxer from the very beginning whether he "allowed" Conor to win those rounds or not is pretty poor. Boxers and boxing fans said for years that an MMA fighter would get demolished against a boxer, this fight (as bad as it was) proved them wrong and showed that boxing has really become a joke in comparison to what it used to be.

Throw 2 punches, duck and rub head in opponents crotch, hug for 10 seconds, rinse and repeat. Sounds like some marriages after 15 years.

He won the early rounds then forgot how to punch. The end.

I hadn't, but just looked them up. All I can say now is wow. Boxing with even more corrupt or incompetent judging than mma. Floyd throws nothin and still gets 2 of the first 3 rounds on 2 cards? That is poor.
Look at the compubox power strikes.

Conor won those rounds because Floyd allowed him to. He did exactly what Floyd wanted him to do and nothing more.

He may have won some rounds on the scorecard but he really lost them because he fell into Floyd's trap.

Conor only did what Floyd allowed him to do in that ring.

Floyd wanted to get punched in the face? Brilliant. Eating some of those shots like that clean uppercut to the chin was a genius strategy.

The fact that a guy with 0 boxing fights could go in there against the greatest boxer of the last 15 years and arguably win 5 rounds is amazing. MMA was the real winner from that fight and the claim that MMA striking is amateur can be laid to rest.

So you're saying Mayweather won those rounds?
I think what he's saying is that it doesn't matter, and that Floyd was doing exactly what he wanted to.

When people say "Conor won those rounds" they make it sound like two guys were in there trying to win the rounds, and Conor was emerging as the winner, when in fact one guys just stood there and played defense for 20 minutes and let his opponent show his hand and tire himself out.

Calls the idea of Conor winning the early rounds a fallacy... proceeds to admit that he thinks Conor won the early rounds.

Is this real life?

When people say "Conor won those rounds" they make it sound like two guys were in there trying to win the rounds, and Conor was emerging as the winner, when in fact one guys just stood there and played defense for 20 minutes and let his opponent show his hand and tire himself out.

Exactly. Connor won those rounds (he didn't even win them in reality) by default. All these people are just grasping at straws.

Floyd wanted to get punched in the face? Brilliant. Eating some of those shots like that clean uppercut to the chin was a genius strategy.

Did you see Floyd after the fight? Not a scratch on him. Never close to being hurt or going down. Never out of it or confused. He knew Conor had very little power behind his shots. He has been in that ring with guys who hit harder. Floyd has been propping up Conor this entire time to make him seem like a threat. He did so in the ring while walking away with no damage.

Back