Time to destroy the "Connor won the early rounds" fallacy

Did you see Floyd after the fight? Not a scratch on him. Never close to being hurt or going down. Never out of it or confused. He knew Conor had very little power behind his shots. He has been in that ring with guys who hit harder. Floyd has been propping up Conor this entire time to make him seem like a threat. He did so in the ring while walking away with no damage.

Holy crap, you're delusional. You must be new to fighting if you're one of those guys that tries to judge a fight by how bruised or cut a guy is. If Floyd wasn't scared of Conor's power then he wouldn't have played the long game strategy of waiting for Conor to gas before going on the offensive.

Mayweather followed the gameplan to perfection. I saw one decent punch from Conor. An uppercut in the second, or third round.

After 3 rounds it was all over but the cryin.

It was EXACTLY what I expected.

Holy crap, you're delusional. You must be new to fighting if you're one of those guys that tries to judge a fight by how bruised or cut a guy is. If Floyd wasn't scared of Conor's power then he wouldn't have played the long game strategy of waiting for Conor to gas before going on the offensive.

You're delusional mate. And you don't know boxing.

If Floyd was ever scared in the ring, it was against Manny Pacquiao. Watch how he fought there. If he was "scared", that's how he would've fought. Pointfighting from bell to bell.

This time, He stood right in front of Conor the whole fight and let Conor punch himself out. Zero respect for his power, laughing in his face, until Conor gassed. Then Floyd let him have it and beat the shit out of him.

Conor deserves a lot of credit for what he did.

He landed punches, won some rounds, and made it a competitive fight for a few rounds.

Lots of people thought Conor wouldn't land a punch, Max Kellerman, for instance. And myself.

I don't like Conor. But he did very well last night.

Floyd wouldn't have lasted nearly as long in an MMA match.

It is not a fallacy if it is true.
I'm assuming that what he means to say is "Implying the Conor outboxed Floyd or gave him one of his toughest tests because he won the early rounds is a foolish argument bordering on fallaciousif you take into account the ending, the gameplan, and Floyd's history". So I responded as if that was what was said.

I love how the boxing fanboys and Conor haters keep moving the goal posts. First Conor wouldn't land a punch, but now post fight after arguably winning 5 rounds the story has changed to, "yeah, but only because Floyd wanted to lose those rounds!"

Embarrassing. A guy with 0 professional boxing fights just stepped into the ring with the best fighter of his generation and looked like he belonged in there. Try to put any pathetic spin on it and it still doesn't change the facts.

Conor won those rounds because Floyd allowed him to. He did exactly what Floyd wanted him to do and nothing more.

He may have won some rounds on the scorecard but he really lost them because he fell into Floyd's trap.

Conor only did what Floyd allowed him to do in that ring.

Why did Floyd go for that strategy?
If Conor is so terrible ... why not just take him out right from the start?

Yes it was Floyds strategy but its one he felt was necessary. He couldnt just beat Conor every round like a GOAT boxer should vs a 0-0 boxer.

Do you think you would have won a round vs Floyd even if he used that strategy?

I.doubt it.

So give credit where credit is due. Conor is good enough to take rounds off of the best boxer of all time in his first boxing fight. Not bad at all.

Some people just don't mark up- Silva got KTFO cold by Weidman and barely had a mark on him. GSP on the other hand looked like he'd been through a meatgrinder every time he fought.

Mayweather wasn't going full speed early on for sure, but you're out of your mind if you think he was letting Conor catch him for fun. Conor pinged him with some clean shots that was all him, and he deserves credit for getting through the defence. Most boxers, let alone UFC fighters wouldn't be able to break through Floyd's defence even without him throwing anything.

Calls the idea of Conor winning the early rounds a fallacy... proceeds to admit that he thinks Conor won the early rounds.

Is this real life?
The argument that he won the rounds -> he did good is the fallacy

As a GSP fan I know very well that bruises don't tell the story.

Floyd tried to give the crowd a show. He allowed it to go further than it needed. He made reference to previous fights more than once and tried to redeem himself somewhat with this.

It was obvious from every interview Floyd did leading up this fight.

It's hilarious how McGregor fans have gone from saying Floyd has no chance and will get KO'ed, and are now mocking him for losing rounds.

Your boy got TKO'd, now hopefully he returns to the UFC and defends a title for once.

The argument that he won the rounds -> he did good is the fallacy

He did well early on. Whether it was part of Mayweather's strategy or not is irrelevant. When Mayweather tried to push forward early he was getting tagged. I think that surprised him and that's when he went into his defensive shell and decided to weather the storm. Floyd was definitely more aggressive early on than he usually is but it wasn't working for him so he went to plan B. Conor doesn't have a big enough gas tank to have a plan B.

Already said this in another thread but if you basement dwellers actually attempted a little striking, hell, even get past your autism and held a conversation with someone who trains, they could explain to you that high level strikers, particularly boxers will "take rounds off" to time you and look for patterns in your momovement then catch you at will once they see the experience gap. A carbon copy of last nights fight. Jesus, your boy lost, move on.

He did well early on. Whether it was part of Mayweather's strategy or not is irrelevant. When Mayweather tried to push forward early he was getting tagged. I think that surprised him and that's when he went into his defensive shell and decided to weather the storm. Floyd was definitely more aggressive early on than he usually is but it wasn't working for him so he went to plan B. Conor doesn't have a big enough gas tank to have a plan B.
I don't disagree entirely, I just wanted to point out what fallacy was TS talking about

People were saying Conor wouldn't win a single round or even land a punch. He did both. Did he do that because Floyd wasn't really taking it seriously? Yes. But he still did it, which is why people mention it. Give it a rest.

Connor won the early rounds!
Connor was a better boxer before he got tired!

Anyone wouldve won those rounds against Floyd. He threw like 6 punches and blocked the vast majority of connors arm punches. A 12 year old would've won those rounds.
He still won the rounds you just proved your thread title wrong. He covered up and crowded Conor those rounds to tire conor and box him when he's fatigued . Conor did great and honestly won the distance battle when both were fresh so Floyd came close and crowded

Back