Social TikTok users flood Congress with calls as potential forced sale advances in House

Hog-train

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
TL/DR

1. Congressional panel unanimously votes to force Chinese based Bytedance to sell Tiktok to a US based company or they get taken off appstore.
2. TikTok sends an alert every single user falsely claiming they're banning the app with a link to call lawmakers.
3. Congressmen get inundated with calls. Many from children or young people. Some threatening suicide or harming themselves.
4. This plan backfires as the frantic efforts by TikTok is only reinforcing the security issues with a Chinese controlled company. Bill getting bipartisan support.

Until the us government addresses the issue of data farming and sale of v privacy of users inherent to all social media; this is nothing more than attempt to control cloud capital and maintain US hegemony in that market.

If you watch these hearings it's staggering how little the boomers on the panel know or care about the issue. The American gerontocracy is particularly useless in these areas.

Last edited:
I'll also add, there's nothing wrong with trying to ring your representative. In fact, it's how democracy is suppose to work. Representatives however see it as a waste of time they could use to do thier main job, fundraising.

Those on the hill are insulated and isolated from the world, they like it that way, playing as lords and ladies. The cold reality is that after they convince you to vote for them, most see thier voters as an annoyance.

If you examine meta data you'll find policy that gets passed into the law is never representative of what thier voters want, its made by and for those they are funded by ideologically and financially, the rich (me). That's who they talk to, not poor young voters. They do not want direct democracy or action, they always demonize any effort to burst thier Hill bubble.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

I would say TikTok is clearly the worst iteration though.

I only have a cursory knowledge of it. To me it looks the same as Vine, which died. Why is TikTok so bad? I get it is Chinese spyware, but I don't understand what societal ills it is causing vs just the garbage that "content creators" make and post.

Most research I've seen shows Facebook is the worst of the worst for social media.

I'm not a fan of China's government. If banning Tik Tok helps lowers China's influence on Americans I think it a good idea.

TikTok is China. Banning It, Bans China.​

If Congress can't ban TikTok, then it is hopelessly corrupt.​

I only have a cursory knowledge of it. To me it looks the same as Vine, which died. Why is TikTok so bad? I get it is Chinese spyware, but I don't understand what societal ills it is causing vs just the garbage that "content creators" make and post.

Most research I've seen shows Facebook is the worst of the worst for social media.

Facebook to boomers is what tik tok is to gen z and really more gen alpha. Social media platforms have increasingly large demographic splits. Whatever is popular for one generation is what they tend to stay on as it's familiar and they have formed a large amount of relationships on that platform. The next Gen adopts alternatives at the time.

Tik Tok offers longer videos than the 6secs Vine provided. That's the big difference AFAIK.

The main complaint about tik tok I've seen that are specific to the user experience and not focused on the framework behind the experience is: because of the way it delivers information tik tok is actively training users towards lower concentration times. I've seen adhd data that shows correlations to social media in general but I can't comment on tik tok specifically. It also, because of the way its algorithm operates, sends users down rabbit holes at an increased rate.

Facebook is worse though because of the manner in which it spreads conspiracy theories and propaganda to boomers often disguised as news. Last I checked over 40 percent of boomers get thier daily news from Facebook and that number is rising. Gen X and millennial are leaving Facebook.

The reason it's worse is because it spreads bs to boomers who acually have power instead of gen alpha who dont. People like Michael Flynn, MTG, Boebert, Nancy Pelosi etc are part of those facebook communities. Pelosi I imagine has a group that talks about insider trading tips.

As a sidenote (siderant actually). Why in Daniel Day Lewis' name are the elected officials still allowed to trade on the market? It's totally insane that those responsible for the legislation that governs the financial sector can operate as traders while having access to the most valuable insider information possible? If you want to throw up in your mouth, Google for information that follows the pubilcally avaliable information about representatives trading history and how it compares to an index fund or investment firm.
After you process how far to the right of a bellcurve thier trading success is, now contemplate many of them trade secretly through third parties so the trades are never declared on thier financial disclosure forms.

Last edited:

The ADHD nature of immediately playing videos endlessly is far more addictive than any other platform.

Back