Three great reasons why Conor SHOULD NOT fight Jose Aldo

Conor is a legacy fighter, fighting Aldo does nothing to advance his legacy

A legacy is defined first and foremost by title defences and who you beat. Conor is just slightly above Matt Serra at this point in the legacy stakes.

Fight Alvarez, beat Alvarez, first ever 2 weightclass champuon, drop 145lb title and leave Aldo throwing a bitch fit.

A legacy is defined first and foremost by title defences and who you beat. Conor is just slightly above Matt Serra at this point in the legacy stakes.

I wish everyone believed that. But they dont and its ludicrous to think thats what casual mma fans, which make up alot of viewership, actually think because they dont.

If they did, 202 wouldnt have been one of the biggest fights in UFC views, publicity, money, animosity. People loved it and because they loved it UFC will keep doing it.

So, my perspective stems from the UFC's standpoint (really, it's arguments Dana has made). According to Dana, Ronda deserves an immediate title shot when she returns because she is the most dominant champion in women's BW history. She lost pretty damn convincingly too. Why does Jose not fall into the same category? Sure, he was KO'd in 13 seconds, but he was also the only FW champ the UFC had ever had and he is clearly the most dominant. I agree that Conor cannot perform any better than their first fight, but I personally believe those flash KOs at the start of fights aren't indicative of how competitive and/or close the fight can be. Let's see if Conor can do it again. He got his chance against Nate, all the more reason to give a chance to Jose.

All valid reasons for him not to take the fight with Aldo, but as you realize, NONE of them are valid reasons to not defend your belt against the interim champ/#1 contender if you are the champ of that division. Very curious to see how hard a line Dana and UFC are going to take here. Could go either way, but inclined to think they will stand firm that conor must defend the belt or vacate.

IMO if he wants to hold on to the FW belt he needs to fight Aldo, if not vacate and move on to LW. Then again I can UFC keeping him as the FW champion as long as possible, especially if they want to setup a super fight with Eddie at LW. Personally I wish he stays at FW as long as he can make the cut. The division is still pretty stacked especially with Pettis now in the equation.

Come up with all the reasons you want. The bottom line is that not only is Conor scared of losing to Aldo but so is his coach and so is the UFC.

Lots of threads about whether or not McGregor should go back down to 145 and rematch Aldo. I'll give you three good reasons why he shouldn't do it.

1) The weight cut. There's no way he's going from the freedom of not having to cut weight for 2 fights to 145, where he's going to have to kill himself to make weight because he's packed on some solid muscle within the last year.

2) It's not worth it. How do you sell a fight against a guy you iced in 13 seconds? And how do you outdo your last performance? It was absolutely perfect. It means more for his legacy to go up and try to become a 2-division world champ against Alvarez.

3) There's a STRONG possibility Aldo does not show up on fight night. We're talking about a guy who's dropped out of 6-7 or more fights already. We're talking about a guy who has already dropped out of one fight with McGregor and refused another. So if you look at it that way, Conor has only a 33% success rate in actually getting Aldo to show up and fight him. So if you're Conor McGregor, why spend 300k on a training camp when you're fighting a man who will probably end up dropping out anyway? Then you've wasted valuable time and resources that could have been put towards fighting a guy who will actually show up.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I 100% agree that he should drop the belt. He should not be allowed to take another non-145 fight and hold the 145 title.

4) He has to do all the work to sell the fight.

He should just give up the belt and keep the fight in his back pocket as an escape route from 155. Aldo will always have to fight him if he comes back down anyway.

And you gotta love the people acting like they would even give a shit about 145 if Conor never showed up. Pretending Aldo wasn't Mighty Mouse with no English.

Fuck all those reasons.

Fight Aldo. Or drop the belt. Simple as that.

I wanna see some stipulations made if conor ever did fight aldo. Like, no pulling out no matter what. regardless of injury. Train smart and don't get injured. simple. How often does tom brady get injured during training camp? Very very rarely. Maybe in an actual game, but never in training. aldo needs to learn to train correctly and stop pulling out.

Large fines for fighters that do this. Fine them $10 grand or more if they pull out within 4 weeks of the fight. That will cut back on that mess.

I think the smartest thing for Conor and UFC's earnings would be to have him fight for the 155 title first for a few reasons:
- It would be a big money fight, a chance for someone to hold 2 belts at the same time, etc. They could promote the heck out of the fight.
- Conor just put on a lot of muscle to fight at 170. He could fight sooner at 155 than he could at 145. The UFC could use this as the reasoning why they let him hold onto the belt.

If he wins the 155 belt I think he'd be done at 145 for the foreseeable future. If he lost at 155 he could go back to FW and still have some big money fights. Many more options going this route IMO.

I wanna see some stipulations made if conor ever did fight aldo. Like, no pulling out no matter what. regardless of injury. Train smart and don't get injured. simple. How often does tom brady get injured during training camp? Very very rarely. Maybe in an actual game, but never in training. aldo needs to learn to train correctly and stop pulling out.

Large fines for fighters that do this. Fine them $10 grand or more if they pull out within 4 weeks of the fight. That will cut back on that mess.

Injuries happen.

Lots of threads about whether or not McGregor should go back down to 145 and rematch Aldo. I'll give you three good reasons why he shouldn't do it.

1) The weight cut. There's no way he's going from the freedom of not having to cut weight for 2 fights to 145, where he's going to have to kill himself to make weight because he's packed on some solid muscle within the last year.

2) It's not worth it. How do you sell a fight against a guy you iced in 13 seconds? And how do you outdo your last performance? It was absolutely perfect. It means more for his legacy to go up and try to become a 2-division world champ against Alvarez.

3) There's a STRONG possibility Aldo does not show up on fight night. We're talking about a guy who's dropped out of 6-7 or more fights already. We're talking about a guy who has already dropped out of one fight with McGregor and refused another. So if you look at it that way, Conor has only a 33% success rate in actually getting Aldo to show up and fight him. So if you're Conor McGregor, why spend 300k on a training camp when you're fighting a man who will probably end up dropping out anyway? Then you've wasted valuable time and resources that could have been put towards fighting a guy who will actually show up.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I 100% agree that he should drop the belt. He should not be allowed to take another non-145 fight and hold the 145 title.
1. But, but, but Conor went up 2 weight classes. If he went up 2 classes, it means he is 145. Otherwise Conor and Nate were 2 155 guys fighting.

2. JdS should have told Cain he is not worth it?

So two definitive wins over the FW GOAT does nothing for his legacy? Lol that's ridiculous.

I don't think Conor is scared or anything but he needs to defend his belt. Nate gave him another chance, Conor should do the same for Aldo.

Not really, no. I just don't think conor cares to fight aldo again. how do you get up for the guy you ko'd in 13 seconds. A fight that was built up for over a year doing to a world wide tour, to only have aldo pull out with a bogus injury. I also think conor has had with late replacement fights. As he should.. He wants to fight someone that's going to show up the first time it's booked. Not the 2nd time...

Injuries happen.

They certainly do in mma especially. haha I just think it's rampant. Conor has never pulled out. I don't think floyd mayweather has ever pulled out of a fight. Ever. If you train correctly, you shouldn't be getting injured... and not within a few weeks of the fight..

They certainly do in mma especially. haha I just think it's rampant. Conor has never pulled out. I don't think floyd mayweather has ever pulled out of a fight. Ever. If you train correctly, you shouldn't be getting injured... and not within a few weeks of the fight..

It happens.

You're saying Aldo was scared and intentionally faked an injury to avoid fighting Conor?

Conor would KO Aldo again. Both physically & mentally.

1. But, but, but Conor went up 2 weight classes. If he went up 2 classes, it means he is 145. Otherwise Conor and Nate were 2 155 guys fighting.

2. JdS should have told Cain he is not worth it?

Nate has fought at ww before. conor only has like 3 fights at LW. Whether people say conor is "really" a lw or not, he has never missed weight. He has fought 99% of all his fights at FW...I could understand if he missed weight, like rumble used to. But when you always make weight, that's his division..

It happens.

You're saying Aldo was scared and intentionally faked an injury to avoid fighting Conor?

I'm not 100% sure. I just find it funny how both he and rda both did almost the same exact thing. both pulled out with like 10 or so days till fight time. That has to raised a few eyebrows..

Back