This is where we draw the line

I'm a big fan of Conor. Honestly if I was betting money, like my genuine opinion, I would say khabib gets a sub in the third. But this is the last one I can watch Conor haters move the goalpost on.

The general opinion on this board is he is going to lose to khabib. I say, If he beats khabib, he is a goat. I just want everyone to put it out there. Because when this fight is over, if Conor pulls it off, everybody will be saying how khabib looked in the al fight, and how he wasn't really #1 material. I just want to stop that future discussion and say shut the fuck up. Conor has done enough. If Conor pulls off the win, he is a goat.
If Khabib wins, is he the GOAT then?

Whoa, whoa, whoa....I am quoting Mendes himself. So he may be a liar but I most certainly am not. That’s unfair of you and I feel I’ve never been anything but respectful of your opinions even when we disagree.

I also never said one win was better than three regarding Frankie vs Edgar’s recent records. What I said was that (rightly or wrongly) to that point Mendes was considered better at FW than Frankie. He’s beaten a more highly ranked fighter (Lamas was #4 contender, slightly higher than Cub) after a very competitive match with the champ, which came after a five win streak. Mendes’ stock was still high.

History has proven Edgar to be the better fighter but that was far from a universally held opinion at the time. Chad was ranked higher than Edgar when he was chosen. Sure, the UFC contacted both - I can promise you when you need a solution and time is short you don’t only consider a single one, you’d seek out a couple. That’s sensible business - determine best alternatives.

Anyway it was never my intention to tick you off so maybe I’ll leave it at that. You can have the last word if you like.
I got you wrong. Apologies.
But I recall everyone always said Mendes and Frankie were virtually tied as top contenders (they called 1-A and 1-B).
As I said, with everything being equal, there was no reason to chose no-camp Mendes over Frankie (who was at the gym then they called him).

Besides what did you expect him to say? That he knew he had no gas tank but "he would do his best"?

Look, my point is simple. UFC/COnor chose Mendes over Frankie because it was less of a risk for Conor.
And this is backed up by the same thing happening when RDA got injured. (Both Khabib and Cowboy called out Conor, both had camp and were in-shape yet Conor/UFC chose no-camp Diaz instead).

Before Chad and Frankie fought, chad was scarier and a way worst match for Conor. Chad was a worst match for him than Aldo.

I got you wrong. Apologies.

All good bud, you’re still my boy.

But I recall everyone always said Mendes and Frankie were virtually tied as top contenders (they called 1-A and 1-B).
As I said, with everything being equal, there was no reason to chose no-camp Mendes over Frankie (who was at the gym then they called him).

Besides what did you expect him to say? That he knew he had no gas tank but "he would do his best"?

Look, my point is simple. UFC/COnor chose Mendes over Frankie because it was less of a risk for Conor.
And this is backed up by the same thing happening when RDA got injured. (Both Khabib and Cowboy called out Conor, both had camp and were in-shape yet Conor/UFC chose no-camp Diaz instead).

Well Chad and Frankie were #1 and #2 contenders respectively, so yes they were very close. Both were ranked above Conor. I think @fortheo actually linked me rankings once that showed that Edgar actually jumped Mendes in the rankings a few days before Chad and Conor fought (which is bizarre but I am sure it was a legit source, Fortheo is a good bloke and doesn’t need to stoop to making stuff up to beat me in an argument).

In the situation the UFC was in - tight timeframe, champ pulls out late - I don’t think they, or Conor’s team, were researching who was where and doing what prior to the call up. The UFC had a headline spot to fill ASAFP. And if both Frankie and Mendes said they’d take the fight I don’t think there’s any reason to call shennanigans when the guy ranked highest gets the fight. The situation literally only happened because Aldo had to pull out so late.

I think the RDA situation was a little different. I’m pretty sure (though I cannot provide a source) that Conor was allowed to choose who replaced RDA. I said on Sherdog at the time (and I still hold it to be true) that the fighter who should have had that fight was Tony Ferguson. At the same time, Conor trained for RDA and had to switch up right near the end. I don’t begrudge him choosing someone he thought would help him sell and fight and who was beatable.

I just feel (and you can feel differently man, it’s just my opinion) that some folks seem to think the Mendes situation was a conspiracy to keep Conor away feom Edgar, but there are plenty of reasons why Chad was viable, even preferable as a contender. If this had happened after Edgar beat Chad? No problem agreeing with you. But that hadn’t happened yet.

All good bud, you’re still my boy.

Well Chad and Frankie were #1 and #2 contenders respectively, so yes they were very close. Both were ranked above Conor. I think @fortheo actually linked me rankings once that showed that Edgar actually jumped Mendes in the rankings a few days before Chad and Conor fought (which is bizarre but I am sure it was a legit source, Fortheo is a good bloke and doesn’t need to stoop to making stuff up to beat me in an argument).

In the situation the UFC was in - tight timeframe, champ pulls out late - I don’t think they, or Conor’s team, were researching who was where and doing what prior to the call up. The UFC had a headline spot to fill ASAFP. And if both Frankie and Mendes said they’d take the fight I don’t think there’s any reason to call shennanigans when the guy ranked highest gets the fight. The situation literally only happened because Aldo had to pull out so late.

I think the RDA situation was a little different. I’m pretty sure (though I cannot provide a source) that Conor was allowed to choose who replaced RDA. I said on Sherdog at the time (and I still hold it to be true) that the fighter who should have had that fight was Tony Ferguson. At the same time, Conor trained for RDA and had to switch up right near the end. I don’t begrudge him choosing someone he thought would help him sell and fight and who was beatable.

I just feel (and you can feel differently man, it’s just my opinion) that some folks seem to think the Mendes situation was a conspiracy to keep Conor away feom Edgar, but there are plenty of reasons why Chad was viable, even preferable as a contender. If this had happened after Edgar beat Chad? No problem agreeing with you. But that hadn’t happened yet.

Still breaks my heart that we never got Edgar vs. Conor in 2015. Now Edgar is on the downside of his career and conor is......conor. In my eyes, Edgar was always a tougher match up for Conor than Mendes was. I don't see any problem with them giving conor that mendes fight, though, as mendes was a legit contender right up there with Edgar, so it's not like they were giving Conor any big favors. I just disagree when many people say Mendes was the tougher fight for Conor. To this day I think Edgar in 2015 would have been the tougher fight for Conor, and I think an old vet/ former champ like Edgar deserved that money fight more than Mendes.

oh well, time to move on.

Cruz, Silva, GSP, Jones etc. They all smash him. Not the goat

I'm a big fan of Conor. Honestly if I was betting money, like my genuine opinion, I would say khabib gets a sub in the third. But this is the last one I can watch Conor haters move the goalpost on.

The general opinion on this board is he is going to lose to khabib. I say, If he beats khabib, he is a goat. I just want everyone to put it out there. Because when this fight is over, if Conor pulls it off, everybody will be saying how khabib looked in the al fight, and how he wasn't really #1 material. I just want to stop that future discussion and say shut the fuck up. Conor has done enough. If Conor pulls off the win, he is a goat.

I believe Khabib will win. But if Conor were to win all the haters will say that Khabib was overrated and didn't fight anyone dangerous before

Beating Khabib doesn't touch Fedors record, let's be serious here.

Greatest of all time UFC money earner, I'll give him that.

The general opinion on this board is he is going to lose to khabib. I say, If he beats khabib, he is a goat.

Why are folk so obsessed with who is a GOAT or almost a GOAT?

All the top fighters come under scrutiny. Even when Jones, before the PED situation arose, was tearing fighters like Hamill, Vera, Rampage, Machida, Shogun et al apart and at first he was amazing, then when he became the Champion people looked back at those fights and called his opponents 'past it' 'oh, if they were in their prime' There's always something to discredit a fighter.

Still breaks my heart that we never got Edgar vs. Conor in 2015. Now Edgar is on the downside of his career and conor is......conor. In my eyes, Edgar was always a tougher match up for Conor than Mendes was. I don't see any problem with them giving conor that mendes fight, though, as mendes was a legit contender right up there with Edgar, so it's not like they were giving Conor any big favors. I just disagree when many people say Mendes was the tougher fight for Conor. To this day I think Edgar in 2015 would have been the tougher fight for Conor, and I think an old vet/ former champ like Edgar deserved that money fight more than Mendes.

oh well, time to move on.
Hey bud, wasn't hoping to draw you into a discussion. Mostly crediting you with supplying some information I was not aware of in the past about the rankings at FW right before Mendes/Edgar.

Sadly the ship has sailed on Edgar/McGregor. That would have been an epic fight in 2015. I like Edgar more, but think Conor would have got it done. Either way would have been special. At least we get Conor/Khabib now!

McG is gonna knock him out. He's in his head like the aldo fight. Unless khabib comes out, sits pride aside and sticks to a wrestle only game plan, this fight is over before it started.

Definitely hasn't done enough in the sport to be considered the greatest fighter of all time. Think about that statement honestly.
He has a lot left to do to get that title if he even wants it. Doesn't seem like he does. Not fighting enough IMO in his prime to go after it. And maybe he doesn't care at the end of the day either

Kalabeeb never even fought a top #5 fighter and somehow is the LW champion? GTFO. Conor is just a lucky puncher at best.

Khabibs 26-0 record is blinding people a little. I favour him over Conor but beating Khabib does not make you a goat. Hes only got a few good wins in that record.

so many idiots on sherdog these days

ts is a goat example

Conor is clearly a great talent, win or lose in this fight.

1. Aldo (domination)
2. Alvarez (utter domination)
3. Mendes
4. Poirier
5. Holloway (albeit, a green version...but Conor wasn't *that* much more experienced)
6. Diaz (3x his size)

Is an impressive set of wins no matter how you slice it. Obviously doesn't have the depth and length of resume to be considered at the top of the class, but it's still pretty substantial.

IMO adding Khabib would move him into the "second-tier" of greats (guys like Hendo, DC, Cruz, etc...).

Back