The Smashing Machine...

Back in the early 2000s, the only MMA documentaries out there were The Smashing Machine and Choke.

Both were pretty cool if you were a MMA fan during that time, but of the two, The Smashing Machine was certainly the better, more memorable story. Definitely a must-watch for any old-school fan of the sport.

As an added bonus, the inspiration for my username makes an appearance in the film, getting viciously brutalized by Kerr at an early IVC event in Brazil.

It's the best MMA related movie. And, even aside from the fact we are here bc of fights and that movie was fight related, even to casuals or those who aren't fight fans at all, it is a powerful film.

Showed this film to my old roommate, who was as casual as they come, but who had taken steroids himself in his youth, and when he saw Mark at the beginning he was like, "Is this about what a fucking badass this guy is? Why have I never heard of this guy? Mark Coleman?! I remember him! He's hanging out with Coleman?! This guy has to be a badass."

I was like, "Kinda, just watch."

By the end my roommate was quiet, and kinda teary eyed at the end when Fujita was beating Mark's ass.

He couldn't believe the guy from the beginning of the film had spiraled so hard. He was a Pudzian fan from WSM, and this was around the time when he was beginning his fight career. Guy thought bc he was so big and strong that he'd dominate everyone. I reminded him about Mark Kerr. Brought to his attention technique, cardio, etc. Showed him Fedor's entire fight catalog up through Arlovski. Dude learned a lot and loved watching Fedor fight, became a not quite casual, but not a guy like us. Hadn't thought about this in years.

Anyway, yeah, sad, sad film. Kerr is a likeable guy. He had the world at his fingertips, could have been among the best ever. Could you imagine Kerr in his day, before his problems, fighting Fedor? Interesting fight. Fedor probably wins, but I think of Coleman and Kerr in their primes, Kerr>>>. Addiction robbed us if that.

Fucking shame.

That guy fell so hard. Drugs are a bitch. His very last fight with King Mo was just sad as hell to watch.

Great movie! One of the best for MMA. Eddie Goldman in the movie posts his podcasts of NHB over at the Global-MMA forum if you ever wanted to chat with him there. The website is below:

http://global-mma.forumotion.com/

Back