A few questions after watching Mark Kerr doc "The Smashing Machine"

shredman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just got through watching the old documentary about Mark Kerr "The Smashing Machine" and at the end of the film they say he and his gf ended up getting married, does anyone know what became of that relationship? Are they still together? I ask because I was so surprised by them getting married, because it seemed like such a dysfunctional relationship and definitely NOT marriage material, so I'm very curious how that relationship turned out.

And the other thing I wanted to ask is did Vovchanchyn suffer any kind of injury from those knees he took from Coleman in the final? Those were some of the nastiest strikes I've ever seen in MMA, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up with some kinda skull fracture.

I last watched it a while ago. But I have seen it a few times.

The overall impression I got was that she was fucking awful.

I had the DVD and they had a commentary. The filmmakers said it was very uncomfortable with her there. No one in the documentary had much good to say.

I don’t think Igor was injured severely by those knees. Fuck knows how.

Just got through watching the old documentary about Mark Kerr "The Smashing Machine" and at the end of the film they say he and his gf ended up getting married, does anyone know what became of that relationship? Are they still together? I ask because I was so surprised by them getting married, because it seemed like such a dysfunctional relationship and definitely NOT marriage material, so I'm very curious how that relationship turned out.

And the other thing I wanted to ask is did Vovchanchyn suffer any kind of injury from those knees he took from Coleman in the final? Those were some of the nastiest strikes I've ever seen in MMA, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up with some kinda skull fracture.
Where did you find it? I've only watched it on youtube and the video quality was absolutely horrible

Mark Kerr was such a badass, Hammer House OG; his downfall was painful to watch, especially toward the very end when he got smashed by King Mo...
At least we'll always have his ADCC run to look back on

He was a beast with a ton of potential, especially in the days of no drug testing. However, he always lacked heart and fortitude in tough fights. A lot of his early wins were total mismatches (Moti Hortenstein was a 190-pound kickboxer and "Ranger" Stott made up his own fighting style). Once he faced better competition (Fujita, Igor, Heath Herring, etc.) he started losing despite a pretty big size/strength advantage. He had more potential than Coleman but less durability and heart, sadly.

He was a beast with a ton of potential, especially in the days of no drug testing. However, he always lacked heart and fortitude in tough fights. A lot of his early wins were total mismatches (Moti Hortenstein was a 190-pound kickboxer and "Ranger" Stott made up his own fighting style). Once he faced better competition (Fujita, Igor, Heath Herring, etc.) he started losing despite a pretty big size/strength advantage. He had more potential than Coleman but less durability and heart, sadly.
i don't know if it was really a lack of heart, i always had the feeling his problems in the ring were rooted in his issues outside of it.

maybe i'm misremembering but when he worked out with bas and kept that lady the fuck away, he was winning fights. when his camp was in shambles, he was getting his ass kicked.

not saying he had the same kind of indomitable spirit someone like sakuraba had at the time, but saying he had no heart just seems a bit harsh.

Damn, I know what happened to Randleman, but reading this I was 100% sure he died a while back and people were trolling about him being married and stuff. Glad he's still with us, could've been the best HW at his prime.

Reminds me of Mike Tyson. Anytime he was pushed by a fighter equal to him, he lost.

i don't know if it was really a lack of heart, i always had the feeling his problems in the ring were rooted in his issues outside of it.

maybe i'm misremembering but when he worked out with bas and kept that lady the fuck away, he was winning fights. when his camp was in shambles, he was getting his ass kicked.

not saying he had the same kind of indomitable spirit someone like sakuraba had at the time, but saying he had no heart just seems a bit harsh.
I'm not his psychologist so who knows. People say Roger Huerta lacked heart but he said he was always haunted by childhood demons. The bottom line is he just didn't perform well against good to great competition. I've heard people talk about how amazing Kerr was in his first few years, but he simply didn't fight a lot of good competition before Fujita and often had a huge size disadvantage.

Lesnar gets a lot of flak here but he fought a lot more top fighters in his 10 matches than Kerr did over 27 fights.

Damn, I know what happened to Randleman, but reading this I was 100% sure he died a while back and people were trolling about him being married and stuff. Glad he's still with us, could've been the best HW at his prime.

Not sure what you read, but Randleman passed away around 10 years ago, pretty close to the time Kimbo died.

1704236105383.png

VERY bad divorce. She took EVERYTHING: Left him destitute. Apparently it was world record ugly. Not surprising to anyone watching the doco.

Mark has to be one of the kindest-hearted person ever, because he was able to kind of patch things up with the bitch for the kid's sake.

Last edited:
Watched it in the very early 2000s, my boy Eddie Goldman was in it. Loved it, one of the best mma docs.

Kerr became a used car salesman is all I know

Back