The slight chance that Conor does win...

Comeback to me when he actually put something on the line.

Like...defending a tittle at least ONCE...

Until then ,to me,he is STILL getting into low risk High reward situations.
No one gives a shit about titles, they are a promotional tool, everyone who steps into the octagon is putting something much more valuable on the line.

What matters to fans with any sense is the quality of opposition, and Conor has been fighting top 5 & p4p ranked guys for a while now.

How? Easy. If he loses, the excuses will be fast and furious (more likely from the Mcfanbois than him even). A high risk fight would be against Ferguson or better yet, Poirier. If he loses that, back of the line for a title shot. The UFC doesn't want to take that risk (maybe as much as Mcgregor) so don't think for a minute it was ever going to play out different.
This fight is about as low risk as it gets for Mcgregor.

Explain what his excuse would be. "I lost because he was the better fighter tonight." Somehow I don't see that flying.<{nope}>

He's a harder match up than Ferguson and Poirer would be. There's zero ways to spin this into a low risk situation.

Explain what his excuse would be. "I lost because he was the better fighter tonight." Somehow I don't see that flying.<{nope}>

He's a harder match up than Ferguson and Poirer would be. There's zero ways to spin this into a low risk situation.
It's not a question of a "harder" fight but a higher risk. The risk is to his marketability and losing to anybody but the champ (or Diaz for some reason) would be a blow to that, a risk the UFC considers not worth it. This is the absolute best and only realistic loss the UFC and Mcgregor could take and the only ones who really benefit. I'm not bashing here and he may win, but do not pretend there were options on the table. If Mcgregor retired tomorrow, only the next 2 fighters he would have faced might have benefited (along with UFC & him).

It's not a question of a "harder" fight but a higher risk. The risk is to his marketability and losing to anybody but the champ (or Diaz for some reason) would be a blow to that, a risk the UFC considers not worth it. This is the absolute best and only realistic loss the UFC and Mcgregor could take and the only ones who really benefit. I'm not bashing here and he may win, but do not pretend there were options on the table. If Mcgregor retired tomorrow, only the next 2 fighters he would have faced might have benefited (along with UFC & him).

lol So he returns to face arguably the hardest challenge of his career that you all said he would duck like the plague, and you still find reasons to find fault with him. This is why most Conor haters cannot be taken seriously.

If he had fought Ferguson or Poirier instead, you would have just said he was taking easier style match-ups and hoping another fighter defeated Khabib in the process so that he (Conor) could eventually reclaim his belt without ever having to beat him himself.

Counterpoint: If Conor wins, how many of his fans will change their tune from "Khabib isn't the real champ, he's just an overrated can crusher!" to "Conor just beat an undefeated champ who is the best grappler in the UFC!!"

hurr durr conor has nothing to lose he must defend da belt hue hue

I rewatched Conor vs. Alvarez and Khabib vs. Iaquinta this morning and it made me realize that Conor has a better chance than what Sherdog seems to think. Conor's hands were really slick against Eddie and have only improved from the Floyd training since then. Khabib on the other hand looked very hittable and sloppy against Iaquinta. It's not like he came out and instantly took Al down. It took him a while to take him down and during that timeframe you can be sure Conor will attack and most likely land on Khabib. I'm not saying I think Conor will win, but I'm pretty much 50/50 at this point. I could absolutely see Conor catching Khabib and putting him down/away. I could absolutely see Khabib GNPing Conor until he gives up a submission or the ref stops it.

lol So he returns to face arguably the hardest challenge of his career that you all said he would duck like the plague, and you still find reasons to find fault with him. This is why most Conor haters cannot be taken seriously.

If he had fought Ferguson or Poirier instead, you would have just said he was taking easier style match-ups and hoping another fighter defeated Khabib in the process so that he (Conor) could eventually reclaim his belt without ever having to beat him himself.
This is why Mcfanbois get such a deserved bad rap. You asked how is this a low risk fight. On its own, sure it's not, but as I pointed out, it is the lowest risk fight available to Mcgregor. Factor in the reward factor and this is the best fight for the UFC/Mcgregor storyline.
I had no expectation of you making salient points, which considering Mcgregor's claim of being a counterpuncher, all the Mccucks do is throw out nonsensical defensive arguments.
I would have been impressed if he fought his way to deserving a title shot (and a Diaz lw fight would not qualify). Unlike crazy Khabib fans, I do not think he is some mythical fighter yet. Both of them have a chance to get there but they both need a few more quality wins and yes, title defences. Whoever wins gets to notch a notable victory but it will only be one piece of a legacy picture.

No one gives a shit about titles, they are a promotional tool, everyone who steps into the octagon is putting something much more valuable on the line.

What matters to fans with any sense is the quality of opposition, and Conor has been fighting top 5 & p4p ranked guys for a while now.
Why do Mccucks put so much value on "champ-champ" if titles do not mean anything? A win and a loss against Nate Diaz does very little to support quality of opposition. Oh wait, I am trying to use logic with a Mccuck. Don't bother responding, I will save you the 45 minutes it will take you to type the 2 sentences.

Counterpoint: If Conor wins, how many of his fans will change their tune from "Khabib isn't the real champ, he's just an overrated can crusher!" to "Conor just beat an undefeated champ who is the best grappler in the UFC!!"

They do what they always do. Take some time off posting or go on a hiatus.

Since you’re a conor fan I’ll type slow and simple for you. Conor fans appropriate everything about him. It’s why so many bring up his money as if it is theirs. Some of them go as far as to pretend be him on here. They regurgitate his catch phrases, and speak as if they are speaking for him. If Conor posted a picture of his shit, many of you would claim it as your own.

Where did you come up with this 90/10 split. I’m not surprised it keeps being perpetuated by a group as delusional as Conor’s dick riders.

I know you’ll miss read all of this as hate for conor. That’s part of the problem. Many of you take negative comments made towards yourself, and precieve it as being towards conor. It’s because many of you are unable to draw a line between yourself and Conor as being separate. I don’t hate conor. I hate you knob gobbler fans. I bet on him against Khabib, which is more than i can say for many of his fans. His fans are why he is hated on as much as his is. They make this place worse with every passing day.
Your Speaking like it's sherdog pre-Nate fight. It's nothing like that no matter how many times you say it. You've been a hater since then, you can deny it all you want but posters remember the mendes threads

This is why Mcfanbois get such a deserved bad rap. You asked how is this a low risk fight. On its own, sure it's not, but as I pointed out, it is the lowest risk fight available to Mcgregor. Factor in the reward factor and this is the best fight for the UFC/Mcgregor storyline.
I had no expectation of you making salient points, which considering Mcgregor's claim of being a counterpuncher, all the Mccucks do is throw out nonsensical defensive arguments.
I would have been impressed if he fought his way to deserving a title shot (and a Diaz lw fight would not qualify). Unlike crazy Khabib fans, I do not think he is some mythical fighter yet. Both of them have a chance to get there but they both need a few more quality wins and yes, title defences. Whoever wins gets to notch a notable victory but it will only be one piece of a legacy picture.

On the contrary, you did nothing to explain how this was a low risk fight. Khabib is the most dangerous fighter Conor has probably faced his whole career; That automatically means it's a high risk fight no matter what.

Conor left with the belt and now Khabib has it. There was literally no other fight to make. If he went for the Nate trilogy everyone on sherdog would be laughing at him saying he’s ducking khabib. He can’t do anything right for some ppl. Haters going hate.

Will the haters be able to finally give Conor some props... Or would it still not be enough to garner any respect?

There's threads like this about Eddie, and surprisingly Conor got some credit, but that quickly changed as soon as khabibs name started picking up steam.

Will beating khabib with the left be enough, or does Conor have to slay ferg, Frankie, max, aldo2, Fedor, gsp, Ali, and Diego Sanchez to appease you?
The fact that you yourself are calling it a slight chance, tells you your answer.

Will the haters be able to finally give Conor some props... Or would it still not be enough to garner any respect?

There's threads like this about Eddie, and surprisingly Conor got some credit, but that quickly changed as soon as khabibs name started picking up steam.

Will beating khabib with the left be enough, or does Conor have to slay ferg, Frankie, max, aldo2, Fedor, gsp, Ali, and Diego Sanchez to appease you?
Depends on how the fight plays out. But for beating the top contender at 155, I think there's at least a minimum amount of credit. Does that equal a title reign? No. It's his second fight at 155 in the UFC, and there are other challengers if he wants to be seen as the legit best.

An interesting new angle from the Conor apologists.

"Champ-Champ!!!!! ZOMG two belts at once"

Then when he doesn't defend:

"Titles don't matter."

InfamousVagueLark-max-1mb.gif

Colin loses a lot, regardless of whether he has the belt or not. It's a make or break fight for him either way.

This is one of the dumber narratives I've seen. Acting like he has nothing to lose here

You are being dense on purpose?
Off course beating Khabob is a great achievement.
Now leaving the WC in chaos as you hold the belt without fighting,to make money somewhere else and then comeback,1 year later, to get ANOTHER free of effort tittle match is A LOT MORE easier then stay as the champion and defend your title against the top contenders isn’t it?
Ask of us to consider him a great LW because he comes and fight whoever suits him whenever he wants.
That's nonsense.
George-Carlin-%E2%80%93-Never-argue-with-an-idiot.-They-will-only-bring-you-down...-660x330.jpg

You really want to me to slice that reap of straws you wrote there don’t you?

1)He is not the lineal champion he got stripped.

2)being popular/having”stock”/having “reputation” is irrelevant in the issue.
I judge a fighter by what he accomplishes inside the cage not outside.

Leaving the competition,not defending,not fighting and picking and choosing all the time does not make you a respectable fighter.

3)i made fun of your comparison because when Ali got stripped he was already into a two year reign as a HW champion.
Thats a consecrated champion.
One that earns you the respect a win against him should give.
Khabob is not the champion and much less Connie.
Perhaps you should understand what a lineal champ is before making such assertions.

Back