The rise and fall of MMA fighters / Masvidal retiring and not much care is out there feels weird

SpiderFan187

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a thread about it and the Izzy win has done a bit to overshadow it but damn there's something sad about someone going 20 years in the sport and retiring with not much general care about it.

I think we've seen enough OG's retire recently that we've kind of become numb to it? 10 or so years ago i think we all cared a bit more but now it just seems like another week another OG retires.

I think its due to Jorge Masvidal's recent antics, the sucker punching incident, ghetto thug persona really turned people off of him.

His latest video of him in some "altercation", you can see from the comments people got sick and tired of his behaviour

Its a shame though, he had a great and long career even if he wasn't the best he had great fights

He was good never quite elite but his antics and fans overatting him plus making excuses whenever he lost.

Good for him getting his paydays tho.
He seems the type that'll wind up in jail in retirement or never really retire.

He's not GSP/Anderson Silva. More of a journeyman/fan favourite like Nate Diaz with even more losses (17).

Was mostly just recent hype from the 3 big KOs against lesser opponents in Till, Askren, Diaz and the stupid BMF belt to boot.

Sucker punching Leon and ducking the fight for years along with a few others was pretty lame as well.

I think its a problem for the UFC as the golden era of fighters have retired out. I don't think of Jorge as a golden era fighter per se but the recognized names from 2005-2013 are now out aside from Jon Jones who was really young at the time.

New blood is only 1 or 2 fighters in the Top 15 of a division each year. That worked okay when you had the golden era names still filling out the division but now you have at best some Conner era names still around.

He's lost a lot of goodwill in the community by being an idiot that acts like a 15 year old despite being a 40 year old father of 2.

I was a big fan all through his Bellator and Strikeforce days and even the first half of his UFC run. I fell off hard after the cheapshot of Edwards and his subsequent rise to stardom and diva turn.

I respect the hell out of his skills and the career that he's had but I'll be lying if I said I will miss him at this point. Only regret is I never got to see Leon pay him back.

He fought past his best for a long time but it was also only after he was past his best where he got a chance to make big money.

Well he has lost six of his last nine fights so it's not like he's particularly relevant these days anyway.

lol you guys are savages but fair enough, he did act beyond what he was fight wise. He gave us some entertainment and was top draw for a little while. respect for that.

Jorges gonna get toe tagged in the near future.

I'm sure there's a thread about it and the Izzy win has done a bit to overshadow it but damn there's something sad about someone going 20 years in the sport and retiring with not much general care about it.

I think we've seen enough OG's retire recently that we've kind of become numb to it? 10 or so years ago i think we all cared a bit more but now it just seems like another week another OG retires.
While I agree. That’s also to be expected when you weren’t a title holder and for most of your career you were a journeyman. When you have a gimmick to get famous your fan base isn’t genuine.

sad but predictable.

G’day from Sans Souci.
I think his paper lantern moment was the Colby assault + all the cocky showboating during fights with the shiteating grin -> KO’d by Kamaru.

Before that, he had the brief PR push from Dana, his image shift (the Miami gangster shtick), new fans not realising he was a journeyman who would’ve been on his way to ONE FC if it weren’t for the Askren KO and that goddamn BMF cringe moment in history.

Jorge started acting like a frustrated toddler, clout-chasing fool and his mythology dropped off before it had even started. But I think the Colby assault really did more damage than he could’ve ever predicted (regardless of how you feel about Colby). When he pulled the same shit with Leon everyone thought it was just MMA-athlete drama because “fighters fight for a living.” But the Covington assault was just lame and desperate.

Jorge isn’t a GOAT of anything except maybe the BMF title. And let’s hope that title remains static and dies like a Michelle Waterson-Gomez title debate.

UFC is on the cusp of hitting the WWE gravy train. The stars have been chosen, we just gotta wait.

Back