The rise and fall of MMA fighters / Masvidal retiring and not much care is out there feels weird

I'm sure there's a thread about it and the Izzy win has done a bit to overshadow it but damn there's something sad about someone going 20 years in the sport and retiring with not much general care about it.

I think we've seen enough OG's retire recently that we've kind of become numb to it? 10 or so years ago i think we all cared a bit more but now it just seems like another week another OG retires.
Hes not like here but he has his city and his fans.

There was a big finish in the main event, we are too busy with that to focus about a journeyman that happened to be loved by the fans retiring.

He was good never quite elite but his antics and fans overatting him plus making excuses whenever he lost.

Good for him getting his paydays tho.
He seems the type that'll wind up in jail in retirement or never really retire.

I assume BKB is in the future for him the moment he announced that ```I am a multi millionaire and I can retire, I am set for the rest of my life``

Dude does not understand inflation, rising prices and him spending money on expensive clothes as oppose to investing is not being set for life.

Mas didn’t back his buzz with wins and retired honorably instead of pulling a Career nrad and lingering. The end

These MMA fighters always "retire" and then you see them getting embarrassed by YouTubers or fighting bareknuckle.

I'm sure there's a thread about it and the Izzy win has done a bit to overshadow it but damn there's something sad about someone going 20 years in the sport and retiring with not much general care about it.

I think we've seen enough OG's retire recently that we've kind of become numb to it? 10 or so years ago i think we all cared a bit more but now it just seems like another week another OG retires.
I think many people never rated masvidal much above a journeyman.

Meh, good riddance.

We've seen his arc. He is getting older and unless he wants to stick around and fight lower guys, he should retire. He has done well for himself and many other fighters would be happy if their careers turned out the same.

Brought to you by Modelo....OOHHHHH he's hurt... LOL

Doesn't Masvidal have his own promotion that compensates it's fighters quite well? Seems like he'll be doing just fine in retirement.

It's an individual sport so someone leaving usually doesn't have much impact on anyone. It isn't like Tom Brady retired or left your team and now you know your team isn't going to be that good and there can be lots of discussion about how to rebuild or fill that hole and the potential you may have moving forward. In MMA its just no big deal overall. You think about it shortly and you move on.

Masvidal career: he made a ton of money & got a ton of fame but no title prevented him from getting that ultimate Bisping story. I wish he took the title from Usman one of those times. It really feels like he accomplished more than he ever should have in the UFC already and is quitting at the right time. He just won't be a champion.

Champions retiring are a big deal:

Jose, Randy Couture, Chuck, Shogun, Anderson, GSP, even Rockhold

Nobody cares when great non-champions. Masvidal flaps his gums too much.

Just be happy that he made his money and is walking away with his brain in tact.

Back