The reason why I think TJ always beats Cody is their mentality...

Anyone who thinks these guys aren't evenly matched just because one guy ended up winning decisively is stupid.

One guy just happens to have a relatively weak chin, and the other has good power. So the chances of one of them being finished is always there. They are very competitive.

If they fight 10 times it could be 10-0 or 5-5

Depends on who lands the lucky strike

TJ had Cody figured out in the second round, Cody has good boxing but he's sort of a one dimensional striker, at kicking range he wasn't able to do anything.

TJ doesn't give up easily,

You know that dude was fuming since losing his belt, he'd probably sell his mother or new team to get a chance of reclaiming it.

Hard to beat someone that ruthless and addicted to self improvement.

I'd give TJ the advantage in the coaching dept. Nobody at TAM before or since (except Cody) was KOing opponents without Bam.

But really, if TJ and Cody fought 10 times it's not a stretch to think each guy would win 5.
I honestly think cody wins more than 5. He is the better boxer and hits harder.

You are probably right TS. On TUF he folded during the coaches challenge. In the fight he was winning decisively until he got cracked by that headkick. Its a shame because he avoided it the other times TJ threw it.

I still think Cody beats TJ most of the time. Just needs to protect his head better and stop wasting energy clowning in the fights.

Last edited:

In this interview TJ Dillashaw is talking about finishing Cody in the pocket. Even though he KO'd Cody, he acknowledged that he probably shouldn't have jumped in the pocket to do it. TJ recognizes his mistakes, even in victory. This means that whatever holes Cody may have exploited this time around, will be sealed next time around.

On the other hand, Cody can't seem to admit that there was anything wrong with his approach. He says he made a technical mistake, but he doesn't really acknowledge that he has to do something differently to beat him next time. He just keeps claiming that "he was the better fighter in there", "TJ felt slow", and insinuating that TJ got lucky. Basically he is saying that he will bank on him catching Dillashaw next time around like he did in the 1st, without looking to change anything about his approach. Of course, its certainly possible that it can happen, but the chances of it happening become slimmer and slimmer every time they fight. If it didn't happen in the 1st fight, its way less likely it will happen in the 2nd.

TJ studies his performances and his opponents, then adapts next time around to do even better. Cody just goes on autopilot.

If you think Cody, a world-class MMA fighter and champion, doesn’t learn from his mistakes, then I don’t know what to say...
This fight is 50/50 any day, any time they fight.

It's okay, I don't expect any of you to understand. None of you know much, if anything about this game.

All I can do is point back to this thread whenever TJ beats him again.

Speculation.
They are evenly matched, to is in his 30s and will hit his peak earlier. The more time passes it will favor Cody.

TJ is a way better fighter with a chin. Wins 5/6 times IMO.

Let Cody run the top 5 gauntlet like TJ has twice and I bet he wont even survive that. Lineker would stand and trade and play who's got better chin game and Cody wont survive it.

Speculation.
They are evenly matched, to is in his 30s and will hit his peak earlier. The more time passes it will favor Cody.

That is Cody's best bet.

To wait a few years until TJ is past his prime.

Because as it stands, he's not beating TJ.

LOL people picking either guy conclusively.

Cody catches TJ just 10 secs earlier, TJ is unconscious and everyone is saying how easy Cody is making the division look. He doesn't, TJ shows tremendous heart and catches Cody with a nice kick that he can't recover from and catches Cody in one of his caveman moments trying to "answer", tags him and puts him away....1st round erased from memory lol Cody suddenly is the "clearly inferior fighter" smh typical reactionary Sherdog.

LOL people picking either guy conclusively.

Cody catches TJ just 10 secs earlier, TJ is unconscious and everyone is saying how easy Cody is making the division look. He doesn't, TJ shows tremendous heart and catches Cody with a nice kick that he can't recover from and catches Cody in one of his caveman moments trying to "answer", tags him and puts him away....1st round erased from memory lol Cody suddenly is the "clearly inferior fighter" smh typical reactionary Sherdog.

Why didn't he catch him 10 seconds earlier then?

Why was he only able to catch him with 10 seconds left in the 1st round, and at no other point during the fight? Why was TJ able to block and evade most of Cody's shots before and after that?

Think about that, then you will understand why TJ wins this fight almost every time.

Why didn't he catch him 10 seconds earlier?

Why was he only able to catch him with 10 seconds left in the 1st round, and at no other point during the fight? Why was TJ able to block and evade most of Cody's shots before and after that?

Think about that, then you will understand why TJ always beats him.

Yes TJ must have just allowed him to nearly put him out cold, all apart of the master plan.

Yes TJ must have just allowed him to nearly put him out cold, all apart of the master plan.

TJ wanted to steal the round. There was no definitive winner for that round yet, and he heard the 10 second bell, so he got a bit more reckless and jumped in the pocket.

He knew that even if Cody did catch him with something big, he most likely wouldn't have time to finish him.

It was a calculated risk. TJ's fight IQ is way too high for Cody.

TJ wanted to steal the round. There was no definitive winner, and he heard the 10 second bell, so he got a bit more reckless and jumped in the pocket.

He knew that even if Cody did catch him with something big, he most likely wouldn't have time to finish him.

It was a calculated risk. TJ's fight IQ is way too high for Cody.

The same huge fight IQ that couldn't figure out Dominick, while Cody made him look like an amateur.

Funny how intelligence works.

The same huge fight IQ that couldn't figure out Dominick, while Cody made him look like an amateur.

Funny how intelligence works.

Typical Sherdog argument, resorting to MMA math and bringing up something that has nothing to do with the point you were originally trying to make, and which I destroyed.

This is about Cody and TJ.

Try again.

Everyone forgets Cody got the rub. Jumped straight from #8 to TS with pillow fists Cruz. Conor part 2. Sure he may beat cruz 9/10 times. Like Conor would probably beat Eddie 9/10 times doesnt mean he's actually best fighter. Styles make fights and Cody is unproven against best fighters in his own division.

So far i see only his defensive wrestling and in close fighting as being good. His chin kicking and ground game suspect.

Everyone forgets Cody got the rub. Jumped straight from #8 to TS with pillow fists Cruz. Conor part 2. Sure he may beat cruz 9/10 times. Like Conor would probably beat Eddie 9/10 times doesnt mean he's actually best fighter. Styles make fights and Cody is unproven against best fighters in his own division.

So far i see only his defensive wrestling and in close fighting as being good. His chin kicking and ground game suspect.

Dominick Cruz is pretty overrated on here.

He is clearly past his prime and since coming back all he has done is

1. "Beat" TJ in a very close split decision, which a lot of people say TJ won. Also the longer the fight went on, the more TJ looked like he was going to win. He was figuring Dominick out at the
2. Beat Fossil Faber.
3. Get smacked around by Cody.

Dominick's fundamentals have never been good, but his speed and reflexes are what made up for it. Now with age and injuries, they have started going.

I had him losing to Rivera before he pulled.

Last edited:
Back