The reason why I think TJ always beats Cody is their mentality...

Not true.

TJ wasn't going for broke. He was very cautious until the last 10 seconds of the first round, then he tried to steal the round and got punished for it.

In the 2nd round he became very cautious again, and was keeping his distance and used his leg/body kicks to eventually set Cody up for the head kick.

Only after the headkick did TJ become aggressive again. He banked on the fact that he had Cody rocked that Cody was going to be slower and weaker than usual. It paid off.

He was trying to take off Cody head with every counter punch.

I was using it to say that Anderson learned from his mistakes.

The first fight, he got beat up for 5 rounds. He couldn't keep it on the feet long enough to do anything significant.

In the 2nd fight, Chael wasn't able to take him down as easily, and he finished it in the 2nd round.

TJ will learn from his mistake too. He will not get reckless in the pocket with a fresh Cody again.

Cody's only real chance to win this fight is a KO in the pocket. If TJ takes that away from him, Cody has no other path to victory.

What you're talking about is unfounded. You're taking a fight where the guy nearly lost to say he can't lose a rematch. I'm not gonna say TJ can't win a rematch but I'm not gonna say crazy shut like Cody can't win because he can't learn and TJ can because for some reason TJ is Anderson and Cody is like chael lol

What you're talking about is unfounded. You're taking a fight where the guy nearly lost to say he can't lose a rematch. I'm not gonna say TJ can't win a rematch but I'm not gonna say crazy shut like Cody can't win because he can't learn and TJ can because for some reason TJ is Anderson and Cody is like chael lol

TJ has proven that he can learn. He lost to Assuncao, but outclassed him in the rematch. Smashed Barao, then smashed him even worse in the rematch.

He never makes the same mistakes.

On the other hand, we don't know how Cody adapts after a loss. But from the way he is speaking, it doesn't sound like he plans on changing much.

MV5BOGE0YjJmNGYtM2M1Ni00MmQ3LWE5NzYtYjM2MzM3OWMxYTBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Why did Cody wait until the end of the 1st round to rock him?

Why didn't he rock him and finish him earlier? That way TJ couldn't be saved by the bell.

On the other hand, we don't know how Cody adapts after a loss. But from the way he is speaking, it doesn't sound like he plans on changing much.

I rest my case. Stop being so sure that Cody can't win a rematch. How much do you expect him to change In a fight where he nearly knocked the guy out? He just needs to do what he does better and brush up on his defence.

I rest my case. Stop being so sure that Cody can't win a rematch. How much do you expect him to change In a fight where he nearly knocked the guy out? He just needs to do what he does better and brush up on his defence.

I am very sure.

I am certainly more sure than I was for the first fight, and I was still pretty damn sure TJ would win.

Of course, anything can happen, but I already said that in the OP. Cody is banking on catching TJ with a big right hand similar to how he almost did in the 1st round. The only problem with that is, TJ is an adaptable fighter, and the likelihood of him making the same mistake in the 2nd fight as he did in the 1st fight is unlikely.

Cody's only real way to win this fight is a KO in the pocket. If TJ takes that away from him, he has no other avenue to victory.

He got dropped didn't he? Lol at "always"

That’s the problem with MMA fans.
Something happens once or twice and they take it as some kind of foregone scientific proof.

However, I do think TJ is overall more intelligent and more tough than Cody.

That’s the problem with MMA fans.
Something happens once or twice and they take it as some kind of foregone scientific proof.

Exactly.

Cody dropped him once in the 1st round and people think that for some reason it means it will happen again.

TJ is the hardest worker in MMA and it showed because he recovered so quickly after getting hit cleanly. Garbrandt imo is the most talent 135er in history but has no chin and lacks TJ's toughness.

Tj knew Garbrandt would probaby get a hometown decision and so he took a calculated risk, went into the pocket(Cody's wheelhouse) and ko'd the quitter Garbrandt.

Codys pride and meathead mentality holds him back, but at the same time he had amazing instincts and speed. Cruz is the opposite end of the spectrum with his scientific approach and TJ is somewhere in the middle.

In this interview TJ Dillashaw is talking about finishing Cody in the pocket. Even though he KO'd Cody, he acknowledged that he probably shouldn't have jumped in the pocket to do it. TJ recognizes his mistakes, even in victory. This means that whatever holes Cody may have exploited this time around, will be sealed next time around.

On the other hand, Cody can't seem to admit that there was anything wrong with his approach. He says he made a technical mistake, but he doesn't really acknowledge that he has to do something differently to beat him next time. He just keeps claiming that "he was the better fighter in there", "TJ felt slow", and insinuating that TJ got lucky. Basically he is saying that he will bank on him catching Dillashaw next time around like he did in the 1st, without looking to change anything about his approach. Of course, its certainly possible that it can happen, but the chances of it happening become slimmer and slimmer every time they fight. If it didn't happen in the 1st fight, its way less likely it will happen in the 2nd.

TJ studies his performances and his opponents, then adapts next time around to do even better. Cody just goes on autopilot.

I don't know if you saw this, but it further underscores your point. Dillashaw says he adapted even as quickly as after the first round against Cody, changing something he'd been doing.

I've always liked TJ for his seamless transitions to different fighting styles, and now this same skill or mentality applied to strategy mid-fight. Besides the skills, he does have a fight IQ higher than most UFC fighters.

Exactly.

Cody dropped him once in the 1st round and people think that for some reason it means it will happen again.

We don't. You're the one saying Cody can never win a rematch. We saw a close fight. There is a good chance it might be close again. This isn't that hard to understand.

Back