The Reality of the Rise of an Intolerant and Radical Left on Campus

LONG POST:
Last night this chick named Faith Goldy was invited by the Laurier Society For Open Inquiry to hold a talk on the campus I work at as a part of the Unpopular Opinion Speaker Series hosted by Lindsay Shepard. It's our third meeting. The last two meetings was a video presentation about the "pronoun debate", the other was a talk by Alberta lawyer James Kitchen from the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.

I only knew a bit about Ms. Goldy. She's an ex-Rebel Media (If Fox News is a bike, Rebel Media is a trike- but at least it's Canadian content!) chick who makes her money by being one of those brash Ann Coulter-types.

She was suppose to talk about immigration, border security, multiculturalism and white ethnocide. It sounded like it would be interesting (I've always found the white genocide types to be pretty hilarious, in the same way most people these days who screech their tailored victim-narratives, are.)

Faith was supposed to speak at 700pm but by 600pm there were already a few hundred people at the quad. The protesters brought drums and signs and trotted out a chick Native speaker who informed us that we we all on stolen land, then started speaking Native. Everybody cheered. But in terms of demographics it was mostly white kids, bitching about other white people, about white racism towards PoC.

Aside for myself there may have been maybe ten people who were black, and a sprinkling of central asians. It was kind of weird. People kept giving me knowing nods and trying to fist bump me.

A few cops and campus security dudes milled around, but It was actually fairly tame at that point. The vibe was almost festive.

At 6:45 there was a huge, huge lineup at the Paul Martin Centre. Including myself, I think there is maybe 40 people in LSOI, and we got priority seating, however, we were told that the plan on the protestors part was to bring as many people as they could into the room as to exceed the fire code (300 max), and then make as much of nuisance as possible.

Before the talk could really get underway someone pulled the fire alarm and some representatives of Antifa showed up. A few blasts of an airhorn, shouting, a bit of a scuffle and....the decision was then made to shut it down.

Just like that.

I was kind of pissed: I wanted to hear what this chick was all about. I mean, as a child of immigrants, I wanted to know what her beef with immigrants was, if she had any decent
arguments, and if there was any validity to her complaints. I wanted to understand where all the Bloodworth's and RIPWarriors of the world are coming from, if there was any basis to their ceaseless mewlings and dark prophecies about racial dynamics in the West. I was also very interested to see how she would address the accusations of racism made against her. Ezra Levant had to fire her (he's like the Canadian version of....Hannity? He heads up Rebel Media) for interviewing and being too chummy with Nazi's during the Charlotteville protests last summer.

But a bunch of 20 year old's in combat boots, air horn, masks and red and black flags, made that decision for me.

I was kind of pissed. So I confronted some of them outside. It was the first time I've ever talked to any of those Antifa people. It was very brief and went exactly like this:

Me: "What's with mask, pussy?
Child: "We're the good guys!"
Me: "But if you are the good guys then why are you pussy's wearing masks?"
Child: "Because of surveillance-capitalism."
Me: lol

29425744_181384062654374_7905850450409160704_n.jpg

29433086_181384099321037_3032122928155066368_n.jpg

29542043_181384182654362_1162483592161394688_n.jpg

29512632_181384509320996_4340113827552034816_n.jpg

They were pretty insufferable in the way people who deal in ideological absolutes are. They reminded me of a screaming baby that won't stop crying, no matter how you much you try to console it. Eventually you have gently put it on the bed, leave the room, and breath for five minutes and let it hopefully cry itself out.

And I think that's what Canadian society is doing right now in this age of rockstar-activism. The majority of Canadians that actually have to work for a living are being as patient as can be.

But after events in Hamilton, and after actually speaking to some of the protestors and the Black Bloc/Antifa LARP dudes, my feeling is that eventually they are gonna go too far. And then it's a shaken baby syndrome for their ass. And I think it's inevitable.

Their sense of victimhood is linked to some hazy a sense of entitlement which is fuelled through the obsequiousness and pandering of the media and our current federal government.

My fear is that eventually the pendulum will swing the other way.
This is good stuff and I appreciate the contribution. I hope you'll keep on updating us with your groups activities.

That last sentence is spot on.

Last edited:
No one is working to work together

There is too much primal joy from the combat, the ideological child stepping fearfully into the world, understanding few variables but sword drawn and sprung.

Its not their fault, not that that matters, but they didnt write the narrative they were born into.

False ideas and comforts jingled about during development years of products, consumerism, cancerous concepts of entitlement and deserve, over-sensitizing the inherent unfairness of the world, has created a generation that is not able to understand the world they live in.

The triggering of both sides has reached a fractal state. I dont know how we get out of it

An entirely excellent summation of the situation.

I think an event has to happen.

A watershed moment that shakes the terrain and forces a reset or a rethink.

Usually it means someone dying, but it could come in the form of a huge lawsuit or a supreme court ruling, or a whistleblower.

Im of the opinion that once the facts of any argument are allowed to breath then people are forced to to live in the context of that truth. (I hope this the case.)

If there weren't so many white nationalists spreading hate messages and calling for white ethno states being allowed to speak at schools you wouldn't see as many protests.

There are literally people walking around waving Nazi flags. Faith Goldy is known to hang out with these people.

I can only speak for Germany. But Germany has a long history of the radical left dating back to the 20's.
So there has always been more violence and radical left ideologies in general and on campuses than most other Western countries.
The Nazis obviously eradicated a lot of that so it took some time for them to come back.
I would say the most violent times were the 70's and 80's. But we did see an increase in left-wing violence in the last couple of years.
The same with right-wing violence they often go hand in hand in Germany.

This is my view on the matter, living in Germany and observing the trends in the USA.

"Left radicalism" mean very different things in Germany vs US.

In Germany it means anti-capitalist / RAF-ish / Antifa-ish / Sankt-Pauli-ish / Punk-ish / anti-globalists / anarchists and all that shit. It's kind of old-school. The kind that burn cars in the Schanze on May 1 st.

In USA it means ultra-feminist / identity politics / white guilt WHILE AT THE SAME TIME being neo-liberal / open-borderish / globalist / pro free-trade.

The latter is spreading to all of the West, though, as with every stupid trend that starts in the USA.

An entirely excellent summation of the situation.

I think an event has to happen.

A watershed moment that shakes the terrain and forces a reset or a rethink.

Usually it means someone dying, but it could come in the form of a huge lawsuit or a supreme court ruling, or a whistleblower.

Im of the opinion that once the facts of any argument are allowed to breath then people are forced to to live in the context of that truth. (I hope this the case.)
True, and precisely why the giant industries of public relations and advertising exist. The truth is out there, but it exists in a field laden with land mines.

You can go back to the Ludlow Massacre in 1914 and look at how Ivy Lee stepped in and flooded the story with counter-stories. That same technique has been constantly employed for over century on a myriad of important issues, and in the internet age is growing exponentially.

Thats why the left is arguing about identity instead of economics, and the right is in a constant mindless nationalistic spiral.

LONG POST:
Last night this chick named Faith Goldy was invited by the Laurier Society For Open Inquiry to hold a talk on the campus I work at as a part of the Unpopular Opinion Speaker Series hosted by Lindsay Shepard. It's our third meeting. The last two meetings was a video presentation about the "pronoun debate", the other was a talk by Alberta lawyer James Kitchen from the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.

I only knew a bit about Ms. Goldy. She's an ex-Rebel Media (If Fox News is a bike, Rebel Media is a trike- but at least it's Canadian content!) chick who makes her money by being one of those brash Ann Coulter-types.

She was suppose to talk about immigration, border security, multiculturalism and white ethnocide. It sounded like it would be interesting (I've always found the white genocide types to be pretty hilarious, in the same way most people these days who screech their tailored victim-narratives, are.)

Faith was supposed to speak at 700pm but by 600pm there were already a few hundred people at the quad. The protesters brought drums and signs and trotted out a chick Native speaker who informed us that we we all on stolen land, then started speaking Native. Everybody cheered. But in terms of demographics it was mostly white kids, bitching about other white people, about white racism towards PoC.

Aside for myself there may have been maybe ten people who were black, and a sprinkling of central asians. It was kind of weird. People kept giving me knowing nods and trying to fist bump me.

A few cops and campus security dudes milled around, but It was actually fairly tame at that point. The vibe was almost festive.

At 6:45 there was a huge, huge lineup at the Paul Martin Centre. Including myself, I think there is maybe 40 people in LSOI, and we got priority seating, however, we were told that the plan on the protestors part was to bring as many people as they could into the room as to exceed the fire code (300 max), and then make as much of nuisance as possible.

Before the talk could really get underway someone pulled the fire alarm and some representatives of Antifa showed up. A few blasts of an airhorn, shouting, a bit of a scuffle and....the decision was then made to shut it down.

Just like that.

I was kind of pissed: I wanted to hear what this chick was all about. I mean, as a child of immigrants, I wanted to know what her beef with immigrants was, if she had any decent
arguments, and if there was any validity to her complaints. I wanted to understand where all the Bloodworth's and RIPWarriors of the world are coming from, if there was any basis to their ceaseless mewlings and dark prophecies about racial dynamics in the West. I was also very interested to see how she would address the accusations of racism made against her. Ezra Levant had to fire her (he's like the Canadian version of....Hannity? He heads up Rebel Media) for interviewing and being too chummy with Nazi's during the Charlotteville protests last summer.

But a bunch of 20 year old's in combat boots, air horn, masks and red and black flags, made that decision for me.

I was kind of pissed. So I confronted some of them outside. It was the first time I've ever talked to any of those Antifa people. It was very brief and went exactly like this:

They were pretty insufferable in the way people who deal in ideological absolutes are. They reminded me of a screaming baby that won't stop crying, no matter how you much you try to console it. Eventually you have gently put it on the bed, leave the room, and breath for five minutes and let it hopefully cry itself out.

And I think that's what Canadian society is doing right now in this age of rockstar-activism. The majority of Canadians that actually have to work for a living are being as patient as can be.

But after events in Hamilton, and after actually speaking to some of the protestors and the Black Bloc/Antifa LARP dudes, my feeling is that eventually they are gonna go too far. And then it's a shaken baby syndrome for their ass. And I think it's inevitable.

Their sense of victimhood is linked to some hazy a sense of entitlement which is fuelled through the obsequiousness and pandering of the media and our current federal government.

LOLOLOL at the bold and thanks for sharing.

This is my view on the matter, living in Germany and observing the trends in the USA.

In Germany it means anti-capitalist / RAF-ish / Antifa-ish / Sankt-Pauli-ish / Punk-ish / anti-globalists / anarchists and all that shit. It's kind of old-school. The kind that burn cars in the Schanze on May 1 st.

In USA it means ultra-feminist / identity politics / white guilt WHILE AT THE SAME TIME being neo-liberal / open-borderish / globalist / pro free-trade.

The latter is spreading to all of the West, though, as with every stupid trend that starts in the USA.

No ANTIFA in the USA is anti trade and not liberal.

This whole need to lump in liberals with the far right is a fools game, and you can even see it in the op where professors are grouped into liberal/ far left as if it’s the same thing.

Yeah, most of those punks or anarchists type in Germany fall under boys will be boys. Not that I am in favor of burning cars or property damage etc.
But most of them are probably gone from the scene again in the mid 20's. They are mostly interested in getting hammered and having a few fights.
They definitely don't fit into the identity political correctness thing the US has. I doubt too many of them care about equal rights or metoo.

No ANTIFA in the USA is anti trade and not liberal.

This whole need to lump in liberals with the far right is a fools game, and you can even see it in the op where professors are grouped into liberal/ far left as if it’s the same thing.

I am not sure that I understand your post.

What I mean is that for all the "left" posturing in the USA, most of them are actually free-trade / open border neo-liberals.

If there weren't so many white nationalists spreading hate messages and calling for white ethno states being allowed to speak at schools you wouldn't see as many protests.

There are literally people walking around waving Nazi flags. Faith Goldy is known to hang out with these people.

I hear what you're saying, and i understand where you are coming from.

The thing that turns my beard grey is that I find myself advocating for the right of people like Faith Goldy to speak. It's counter-intuitive and it does mess with me from time to time. It also puts me in uncomfortable situations where i have to explain through fist or through wit about how this doesn't make me an Uncle Tom or a sellout or an Agent.

Don't get me wrong. People like Faith Goldy can be annoying, some of the shit she says can even be hurtful (if you allow it to hurt you), provocative, and ominous to an immigrant or a PoC.

But if she isn't breaking any laws or agitating for my death, then what harm can she do?
Canada is a stable country where the people that matter have bought into the rule of law.

If she was doing something illegal, I have confidence that our legal system has the right mechanism to at least address it.

Otherwise what's a blond, five foot nothing, 120 pound chick, with a big gonna do to me? Say bad things about people who have my skin color? Homegirls probably doing this more for the money than for any imagined Heimat.

At the risk of gatekeeping: I've already lived through the eighties and nineties where the racism then was of an entirely more virulent genus than it is today. We've already had these debates about academic freedom and freedom of speech with past figures like the psychologist Philippe Rushton who had his views that I also found equally ridiculous and insulting.

But that's all it was: Ridiculous and insulting. No one died. No one felt that they were in danger. The people on my end either laughed or thought he was crazy and moved on with their lives.

To me what is worse than any perceived racism, is leaving the decision on what speech is acceptable to some kids in masks, or some people who's field of work has separated them from the realities of life. To me those people are just as bad or even worse than the racists they purport to be against.

Jordan Peterson had similar problems at Queens. Protesters thought their right to not be offended trumped everyone else's right to find out or not whether Peterson was informative or offensive or a quack.

So they broke stain glass windows, brought garrote wires, assaulted cops and acted like a bunch of goofs. Principal Daniel Woolf's response in the face of all the whinging was on point:

The principles of academic freedom, expressed through thoughtful, informed and respectful investigation, are a central tenet of the values Queen’s holds, and which it strives to instill in our students.

Far too often universities, and university academics, have been attacked by increasingly polarized interest groups seeking to stifle thoughtful or respectful examinations of opposing ideas. Hate speech aside, failing to explore or confront ideas with which we disagree through disciplined and respectful dialogue, debate and argument, does society a disservice, weakens our intellectual integrity, and threatens the very core of what Queen’s, and any university, should be about.

Throughout my tenure as Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Queen’s has advanced the values of diversity and inclusion, and it remains a predominant focus of my own work. I believe that everyone within the university community should feel able to explore and debate diverse and even uncomfortable viewpoints if that occurs in a respectful academic environment.

Queen’s law professor Bruce Pardy has organized a presentation by University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson, to examine “the rising tide of compelled speech in Canada”. Already there are expressions of outrage that the event is taking place, and still others have condemned that outrage. Expressing one’s affront to an idea or position is completely acceptable in an academic environment, if supported by informed arguments and expressed respectfully; blanket calls for censorship however, are intellectually lazy and are anathema to scholarly pursuits.

Whatever one’s strongly-felt objections to particular points of view, their mere expression does not constitute a threat to physical safety; nor does that expression imply that the university itself accepts those views. To the contrary, if history has taught us anything, it is that attempts to shut down debate and limit speech serve no one well—even the groups calling for such silencing. They merely make it easier for the next group in power to silence others. A university cannot sustain its ancient mission of inquiry into the true, the good, and the beautiful under such circumstances, nor can it exercise its responsibility to pursue knowledge free of constraint.

Let’s be clear here: what is at issue is nothing less than our commitment to academic freedom. If the views expressed, however uncomfortable for some, are not a violation of Canadian law, related university policies or otherwise demonstrate an intention or effect of inciting hatred and violence, then as academics we should listen and present opposing ideas through informed and respectful dialogue.
http://www.queensu.ca/connect/princ...med-respectful-debate-is-central-to-academia/
[\QUOTE]

LONG POST:

Just like that.

At first I TL;DR your post, but given that many people quoted it I decided to read it and it was a great post.

As @Gandhi noted, fn LOL at people giving you nods and fist bumps because you are a black dude.

These crowds are so cringe.

True, and precisely why the giant industries of public relations and advertising exist. The truth is out there, but it exists in a field laden with land mines.

You can go back to the Ludlow Massacre in 1914 and look at how Ivy Lee stepped in and flooded the story with counter-stories. That same technique has been constantly employed for over century on a myriad of important issues, and in the internet age is growing exponentially.

Thats why the left is arguing about identity instead of economics, and the right is in a constant mindless nationalistic spiral.

Looks like i'm spending some of my day off reading about the ludlow massacre.

Wow.

LOLOLOL at the bold and thanks for sharing.

It's fucking hilarious because being black at some point your going to run into the white guy who is trying way to hard to be down with you just cause your black.

I remember I was rolling on XTC once and my friend brought his much older friend to hang out with us. We were like 17-18 this guy was late 28. The guy was harassing me all night telling me I'm cool and he likes me cause he knows I know what's up unlike the rest of the people in the house. It was just freaking me out and I was trying to enjoy my high.

Spend some on Edward Bernays as well

One of the four corners of the modern world

Dude, you're really starting to cut into my R. Scott Bakker time today but I'll give him a try.

Spend some on Edward Bernays as well

One of the four corners of the modern world
Thanks. I find propaganda and manipulating public opinion both fascinating and spooky. I thought this bit quite interesting.

"One way Bernays reconciled manipulation with liberalism was his claim that the human masses would inevitably succumb to manipulation—and therefore the good propagandists could compete with the evil, without incurring any marginal moral cost."

At first I TL;DR your post, but given that many people quoted it I decided to read it and it was a great post.

As @Gandhi noted, fn LOL at people giving you nods and fist bumps because you are a black dude.

These crowds are so cringe.

I mean, r u tryna tell me that you wouldn't try to fist bump @salamander ?

Thanks. I find propaganda and manipulating public opinion both fascinating and spooky. I thought this bit quite interesting.

"One way Bernays reconciled manipulation with liberalism was his claim that the human masses would inevitably succumb to manipulation—and therefore the good propagandists could compete with the evil, without incurring any marginal moral cost."
Once you tie in PR with psychology, you can see the rest pretty clearly.

Sigmund Freud was Bernays' uncle and they knew each other well

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, and i understand where you are coming from.

The thing that turns my beard grey is that I find myself advocating for the right of people like Faith Goldy to speak. It's counter-intuitive and it does mess with me from time to time. It also puts me in uncomfortable situations where i have to explain through fist or through wit about how this doesn't make me an Uncle Tom or a sellout or an Agent.

Don't get me wrong. People like Faith Goldy can be annoying, some of the shit she says can even be hurtful (if you allow it to hurt you), provocative, and ominous to an immigrant or a PoC.

But if she isn't breaking any laws or agitating for my death, then what harm can she do?
Canada is a stable country where the people that matter have bought into the rule of law.

If she was doing something illegal, I have confidence that our legal system has the right mechanism to at least address it.

Otherwise what's a blond, five foot nothing, 120 pound chick, with a big gonna do to me? Say bad things about people who have my skin color? Homegirls probably doing this more for the money than for any imagined Heimat.

At the risk of gatekeeping: I've already lived through the eighties and nineties where the racism then was of an entirely more virulent genus than it is today. We've already had these debates about academic freedom and freedom of speech with past figures like the psychologist Philippe Rushton who had his views that I also found equally ridiculous and insulting.

But that's all it was: Ridiculous and insulting. No one died. No one felt that they were in danger. The people on my end either laughed or thought he was crazy and moved on with their lives.

To me what is worse than any perceived racism, is leaving the decision on what speech is acceptable to some kids in masks, or some people who's field of work has separated them from the realities of life. To me those people are just as bad or even worse than the racists they purport to be against.

Jordan Peterson had similar problems at Queens. Protesters thought their right to not be offended trumped everyone else's right to find out or not whether Peterson was informative or offensive or a quack.

So they broke stain glass windows, brought garrote wires, assaulted cops and acted like a bunch of goofs. Principal Daniel Woolf's response in the face of all the whinging was on point:

The main issue is that some of these people (Goody, Spencer, etc) are using borderline hate speech. Hate speech is not free speech. Some of these alt- right / right wing extremist speakers have inspired others to cause violence and people have died and people have also been seriously injured (see Charlottesville).

I agree that freedom of speech is important and I don't have a solution.

So, let them speak and also let them get shouted down?

Back