The Muay Thai Clinch 101:

Alot of the clinching in thailand is changing from the traditional plam technique. Some sweet stuff going on though. Another way to block it or escape it I learned from Bas. If you get locked up, put one of your arms across both of theirs, then rest your forehead on it. This way, they can't pull your head down. Use your other arm to intercept the knees. In between knees, throw a nasty liver shot or two. They'll be letting go soon enough...

any othe tips for entering the clinch, combos, i see a lot of people use a left hook to grasp the neck and start a clinch,are their any other strikes to come in behind,also any tips to make the lead leg knee more powerful, an example you clinch throw the right knee A) do you try to push him back and plant the right more forward to give the left (now back) more power, B) just fire the left from the lead position C) land the right come down and step back with the left. all of my discriptions were in the orthadox stance.THANKS

The Sickness said:
Alot of the clinching in thailand is changing from the traditional plam technique. Some sweet stuff going on though. Another way to block it or escape it I learned from Bas. If you get locked up, put one of your arms across both of theirs, then rest your forehead on it. This way, they can't pull your head down. Use your other arm to intercept the knees. In between knees, throw a nasty liver shot or two. They'll be letting go soon enough...

this is interesting....when you say put one of your arms across both of thiers, do you mean like, hang it over thier biceps?...like youre gonna cross face them or something? Or do you mean keeping it on the inside, under thier triceps?...Im a little confused by this.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
this is interesting....when you say put one of your arms across both of thiers, do you mean like, hang it over thier biceps?...like youre gonna cross face them or something? Or do you mean keeping it on the inside, under thier triceps?...Im a little confused by this.

I posted this if you look. You rest your arm across his forearms.

Yes it is over the arms. Sorry to duplicate your post Iceman, I didn't read them all...

good post for mma high tie up.... but a muay thai clinch should be modified slightly from this. all the pure thai stuff is done close and stait up and down..... but what was posted is perfect for mma.

I think that depends on who the instructor is. I'm beginning to think mine was too traditional for his own good to be compared with the more sport Muay Thai circulating today, because he taught more of the non-ring aspects of the Art and encouraged using them in-ring once your athleticism reaches a certain level. Standing straight-up was always discouraged, he would always shout "YOU WANT DEY TROW YOU DOWN!!?!? HIP BACK, MOA BALANCHE!!!"

What I meant to ask is what should I do when I end up in this clinch? The mma school I train at teachs a lot of bjj and wrestling, so I end up in a clinch like this. It's a lot harder to throw knees from this clinch then it is from a mt clinch.

To answer your question, if you have an overhook and an underhook, I personally am a fan of stepping in deep, twisting my hip (driving it into their gut) and pulling with all my power for a throw. Slams are very under-estimated, thus, I go for them whenever I can if competing in MMA-oriented scenarios.

ok so youre basically just hooking your arm around the outside of thiers, over the top?...that may be tough to do with boxing gloves on....you think you could get to that point by trying an elbow, and maybe trying to shove your forearm in his face...you could combine that with an uppercut or hook to the body with the defending arm, and shove him off? it sounds a bit better to me than just defending in that position and hoping he lets ya go....I might try somethin like that on monday.

Your approach sounds good too Twisted, let us know how it works out.

There's a lot of shit I've learned to do with Boxing gloves on over-the-years. lol Greco-Roman type maneuvers are just one bit. Especially because maneuvering your arms against an opponent's with the gloves on is something not many guys expect you to do. It catches them by surprise A LOT.

DaGREATkabookie said:
any othe tips for entering the clinch, combos, i see a lot of people use a left hook to grasp the neck and start a clinch,are their any other strikes to come in behind,also any tips to make the lead leg knee more powerful, an example you clinch throw the right knee A) do you try to push him back and plant the right more forward to give the left (now back) more power, B) just fire the left from the lead position C) land the right come down and step back with the left. all of my discriptions were in the orthadox stance.THANKS

is this A)just too stupid to answer
or
B) just overlooked

Overlooked I think, my bad. I don't fight orthodox so I'm not quite certain. I've almost always entered the clinch with a punch combination, or against grapplers you don't even really have to do much aside from know how to avoid a takedown attempt and remain standing. The one way I named to enter it without throwing punch combinations is the best way I know how that works consistently when you're not throwing punches. But I don't use many specific punches, just if a guy gets defensive your lock him up and bomb him with knees.

Let it be known i ducked down in a clinch yesterday and got a knee to the forehead. Keep your head up.

King Kabuki said:
Overlooked I think, my bad. I don't fight orthodox so I'm not quite certain. I've almost always entered the clinch with a punch combination, or against grapplers you don't even really have to do much aside from know how to avoid a takedown attempt and remain standing. The one way I named to enter it without throwing punch combinations is the best way I know how that works consistently when you're not throwing punches. But I don't use many specific punches, just if a guy gets defensive your lock him up and bomb him with knees.

THANKS

BUMP!

on a sidenote:
----

Kabuki's threads have been the only ones around here to have any qualititive merit. Some others, including myself, have been close to matching the necessity of communication he achieves, but everyone else is just asking questions that should be awnsered in the gym, on the mat, through experience and hard work.

Not much needs to be said when it comes to fighting, but theres a shitload that needs to be done. Train. Train. Work! Stop wondering why something isnt fitting together in your mind and let it come together in your body. The mind needs constant refreshment and challenge, but not on a level where it is trying to figure out things only your body can tell it. TRAIN!

Great post. I'm copying and pasting that onto a document in my harddrive.

I must say I have no Muay Thai experience, first of all, but I wrestled for 2 years in highschool. I don't know if this works in Muay Thai but in wrestling when we'd escape the clinch we'd simply pummel with the other guy. When they would gain position with their hands and arms in a wrestling clinch, we would pummel our arms in and combat our arms with their arms for the clinch position. I'm not sure how to describe pummeling, or what I learned it to be, but by this I mean, say they have their right hand behind your head with their forearm against your neck and elbow against your chest, then you come around with your left arm over their right arm from the outside (come to think of it, it might even work from the inside) and shove your arm down over theirs to get an underhook. I tried to show this to a friend with no fighting experience recently and he didn't understand the leverage involved and I couldn't explain it. It just came from experience wrestling I guess, but it seems this would get you out of the Muay Thai clinch as well.

Great stuff Kabuki,
My 2c... One thing I try to do when I train, is spend at least 4-5 rounds shadow-clinching...
I'll squeeze a 20lbs medicine ball in-between my forearms, knuckles facing forward to get the right muscles working, and I'll practice moving it left and right, all whilst throwing up knees.. It really helps with proper hip/shoulder movement in a clinch... And it really helps develop that 'pinch' you mention... In fact, I think the clinch is probably my most comfortable fighting range for that very reason...

Anyway, great post man.

Cheers

Keir

I never thought of using the medicine ball, good idea.

thanks...im a kickboxer going into mma and i have been really working my clinch so thanks for the tips

Another way to escape from the clinch or at least reduce the pressure on your neck to is to push your forearm on their chin and crossface. it turns the clinchers face back and away and makes it hard to maintain the downward pull on the neck.

A good drill to practice the MT clinch is pummeling where you swim for the double hands behind the head (plumm position). We usually start out with one hand - say left - behind the head and the other - right - on the opponent's left tricep (which is important for preventing the person from dropping his one hand on your neck for an elbow across your cheek). From here, you try to get your other (right) arm to the back of his head and your opponent will react by trying to do the same. If both succeed, you're in the same (but opposite side) position as you started. Through timing or blocking your partner's attempt, you can achieve the full plumm position. From there (in this drill), you can either release and start over, or have your partner try to cross face you, or spin him around (done best by stepping your front foot back and around the back foot (which shifts your body 90 degrees and hence their body)), or some combination there of.

Back