The Muay Thai Clinch 101:

Great fucking read right here, fucking great!
Also of note, as I'm sure my man Kabuki forget to mention regarding takedowns:

Keeping your toes pointed straight down towards the ground as much as possible helps not only to inflict more damage on a person but it also prevents a takedown.

Also a favorite move of mine in the clinch (it may not be legal in competition) is snapping they're head down quickly and as they raise up punching the base of the neck, I've used this move to knock someone completly out.

Also a favorite move of mine in the clinch (it may not be legal in competition) is snapping they're head down quickly and as they raise up punching the base of the neck, I've used this move to knock someone completly out.

LOL That's good shit if a person can get away with it. Also a well-place elbow could do the trick but you risk seriously injuring the guy, so if you hate the motherfucker and want to end his career, there ya go.

Once again, Kabuki proves himself more valuable than a jug of gin and a pocket full of condoms at a Tampa Bay cheerleaders' slumber party!

Sticky this please.

Sticky this please.

Punk-ass jealous posters say I make too many stickes. But what I'll probably do for this and the conditioning thread is make an "Interesting Threads" thread like there is in the Dieting and Supplementation forum that will have this and a bunch of others like the TKD in MMA thread that's gone on FOREVER.

Punk-ass jealous posters say I make too many stickes.

Fuck'em. Useful information is useful information and should be easily assessible.

You dont want to grab the bacck of their neck do you? You just want to grab your own hands/wrist and control them with your foreamrs? Maybe thats what Im doing wrong?

I pinch and hold their neck with my forearms and use the lock to control where they move, as stated in the original post.

King Kabuki said:
I pinch and hold their neck with my forearms and use the lock to control where they move, as stated in the original post.
Which is why I said, you want to control them your your FOREARMS, and Im grabbing with my HANDS...which is probably why it isnt working well. Just confirming, sorry for asking.

It's all good. There's no stupid questions. But yes, use your forearms more and see how that works out. It should do you much better. The only time I grab with the hands is if either shifting arm-positions, or pulling down into a knee to the head.

King Kabuki said:
It's all good. There's no stupid questions. But yes, use your forearms more and see how that works out. It should do you much better. The only time I grab with the hands is if either shifting arm-positions, or pulling down into a knee to the head.
Ok, thanks. And I did read your responses to getting out of a clinch with knees, punches etc. But what about in class, where you arent really supposed to "get out" of it, but just get back to the dominant posistion? I mean, we can do light knees, punches to the body, nothing thats REALLY gonna hurt, but we arent really supposed to un-clinch, just try to keep pummeling until you get the dominant position. I will do good for like half of a 3 minute round, then the last half I just get totally dominated and cant lift my head/neck back up and it sucks.

You gotta work on your endurance for that, and how to defend against the moves in the clinch. There's lots of ways to reverse a clinch as well. Someone earlier suggested pummeling from Wrestling. That works WONDERFULLY. You kind of flail your arms in circles against the other person's arms, and beat the strength out of their arms. I also used to work with a couple of Greco-Roman Wrestlers on jockying for position in standing positions. Learning where to push and pull on the arms, how to move your body to either circle or sidestep when the opponent is kneeing.

Kabuki, sorry I didn't read this whole thread, but, I have a question.

When I went to TriStar gym over summer vacation, I did a Thai boxing class there, and we focused a lot on clinch work. I was working for the inside control, and the instructor told me, with most good Thai boxers, I'm probably not going to get the full neck clinch just by doing the basic Thai-style pummeling.

He showed me to instead settle for what looks like a neck tie and an underhook, except both guys have it. Like the lock you have before you go for a headlock throw. One arm rides high up into his armpit, and meets the other arm, which is wrapped around the back of his neck.

From there he showed us to wrestle, throw some side knees, and then maybe try to slip in the neck clinch.

Is this what you learned? Or would you consider this a good thing to do? It's worked really well for me, especially in MMA training, because then I'm actually allowed to do headlock throws from that position, and if I miss it, I switch off to a Thai clinch.

He's showing you the right way to clinch. You're not supposed to only go for the head and stand still. The arm-switching and Wrestling around he showed (from the way it sounds), is how it's supposed to be done, and it should translate BEAUTIFULLY into throws. One of my best things to do when fighting with no rules was mix in my Muay Thai clinching with my Wrestling Takedowns and Judo throws. Guys were dumbfounded by it. I had to start showing guys how to take being slammed or reverse throws mid-motion.

According to my coach, if I get a head and arm tie up, Its legal to actually "choke them" as I would an arm triangle on the ground....he is a great pro Muay Thai fighter, and I was able to get him in this when we were working clinch one day, and I just sortve held him there and threw side knees to his ribs....he was able to escape after a couple seconds, but afterwards he said "You missed an opportunity".....you couldve squeezed me there and cut off my air."

I was like IM ALLOWED TO DO THAT???? which hey, Im all about that.....Ive done bout 4 years of Jits and the Arm Triangle is like my favorite sub.....

so guys, if you got your arm trapped around thier neck, and the other arm hooked under thier armpit, their elbow on that side gets high, push it up and slip your head under, and lock them up tight.....you could definitely cut off the blood flow of thier brain, then drop step, yank em and knee.

it really takes a lot out of them

According to my coach, if I get a head and arm tie up, Its legal to actually "choke them" as I would an arm triangle on the ground....he is a great pro Muay Thai fighter, and I was able to get him in this when we were working clinch one day, and I just sortve held him there and threw side knees to his ribs....he was able to escape after a couple seconds, but afterwards he said "You missed an opportunity".....you couldve squeezed me there and cut off my air."

I was like IM ALLOWED TO DO THAT???? which hey, Im all about that.....Ive done bout 4 years of Jits and the Arm Triangle is like my favorite sub.....

so guys, if you got your arm trapped around thier neck, and the other arm hooked under thier armpit, their elbow on that side gets high, push it up and slip your head under, and lock them up tight.....you could definitely cut off the blood flow of thier brain, then drop step, yank em and knee.

it really takes a lot out of them

Abso-fricken-lutely. My Khru when I was learning Muay Thai told me the number one goal in the clinch is to cause as much pain as possible. So choking....BY ALL MEANS!

good post man, i actually read all of it too, nice work. Kind of funny how everyone wants to know more about the muay thai clinch after Anderson Silva raped Rich Franklin with it.

Kabuki, You are the King! I will be throwing a few knees and moving his ass from now on!

Back