The Muay Thai Clinch 101:

What do you all make of the Crazy Monkey Defence clinch? Rodney King seems pretty confident that it's superior to the MT clinch, but I've not really got much personal experience with it. Fifth video down: Crazy Monkey DVD Previews | Crazy Monkey Defense Program
Meh.

I was taught to always stand as tall as possible (which he doesn't do) and also to keep my hips close to my opponents' (which he doesn't do either). I think someone using his techniques would eat a lot of knees from a decent Thai boxer.

Also, keeping the opponent's arm away with your hand the way he does in the demonstration is damn near impossible against a good clincher.

How do you escape/defend the MT clinch? Any advice is appreciated. One thing that occurs to me is uppercuts straight up the middle, blocking knees with your knees. But I've never really heard how you're supposed to do it.

underhook one side of your opponent, block his other knee with your hand. everytime he lifts his knee to strike you, underhook that knee and lift with both underhooks to slam him.

voila, here's the recipe for the rampage slam. one of my favorite takedowns, and easy to execute. rampage does it in his fight with machida, vitor belfort does it on overeem.... it works

underhook one side of your opponent, block his other knee with your hand. everytime he lifts his knee to strike you, underhook that knee and lift with both underhooks to slam him.

voila, here's the recipe for the rampage slam. one of my favorite takedowns, and easy to execute. rampage does it in his fight with machida, vitor belfort does it on overeem.... it works

Are you doing this with full Muay Thai rules? You are going to catch a nasty elbow by blocking a knee with your hand/arm.

What do you all make of the Crazy Monkey Defence clinch?
I watched the 5th vid.

Do what the trainer does against a freestyle wrestler and you're gonna get pulled through with a whizzer hard.

important things to remember.
never bend your back,stand straight unless looking for body lock.
hold back of the head not the neck,no control if you hold the neck.
when you hold there head your elbow should push hard into there chest.

Since this is the standup thread i feel it my duty to metion that this guy is giving you clinch advice for MMA not traditional muay thai

For traditional muay thai clinch stuff, youtube malaipets muay thai clinch and you get to view his whole tutorial

Sweet Moses, this is a good thread. I just wanted to say that. Hopefully someone who hasn't read this yet will see the bolded text in the stickies section and check it out. I am becoming completely infatuated with the clinch, perhaps most of all because it's not taught a lot at my school, and most people don't have any idea how to react to it in sparring. :icon_twis

By the way, and I know you posted this a year ago, but you should not use your hands to defend knees in the Thai clinch. If they throw a deep, hard knee, you won't be able to stop it. You're also asking to be overpowered and taken down yourself, or smashed with an elbow or hook, since you elected to drop one of your arms. This is a much better option if you want to counter your opponent's clinch knee with a takedown, in my opinion:

And in Malaipet's video he shows my favorite, which is very simple. You initiate with some knees of your own. When you feel them wind up for a reply, you just step back and yank down on the side from which they're throwing the knee. They're left--dare I say it--without a leg to stand on. Now that's rich.

Last edited:
Since this is the standup thread i feel it my duty to metion that this guy is giving you clinch advice for MMA not traditional muay thai

For traditional muay thai clinch stuff, youtube malaipets muay thai clinch and you get to view his whole tutorial

No, Sinister is talking about Muay Thai here.

BTW guys Read Anderson Silva's book, it's awesome for the clinch

What the hell? I hope I didn't somehow cause this to be unstickied.

Back